Status: Complete.

The Youngest Avenger: Origins.

Warm welcome.

When we got home, I headed straight for my board, slipped on a pair of board shorts and left the house before pepper or dad could get a word in edge wise.

I was glad to have father back, I just didn't know how to deal with it yet, I was worried I was going to wake up and it wasn't real or I was going to slip.

I just process things better on my own.

* * *
I headed down the long marble steps down to my dad's cave. I punched in the four digit combo and entered, he was tinkering away at a small round silver object. I felt my curiosity grow at the sight of it.

"Hey, kid!" He called.

I walked over, setting a small plate with a grilled cheese on it in front of him.

"Pepper said you haven't ate sense this morning."

He wrapped an arm around me, giving me a tight, side hug.

"Thanks," he said, releasing me. I moved to the other side of the table, sitting across from him.

"Cheddar, tomato, and ham. You know, this was your favorite growing up. I couldn't get you to eat anything else but this." Dad remanniced as he handed me one of the two slices, I took a small bite, the cheese, ham and butter melting in my mouth as the tomato popped.

"That was moms strong suit." I answered with a small smile.

"I don't know how she got you to eat your vegetables." He wondered as he took a bite of his half.

"She didn't burn the food, that's how."

"Touché." He agreed.

"I miss her." I whispered, looking down.

"Me too, kiddo. I don't really know what to do with out her sometimes."

"That's what peppers for."

"When did you become so insightful?" He asked, finishing off his slice of grilled cheese.

"You've been gone awhile." I shrugged, not feeling so hungry anymore.

"Yeah, I'm sorry about that. Jack, i never wanted you to go threw what I did."

"I know. I don't blame you." I answer, softly.

"Pepper said you've been kind of distant. That you've been focusing on school and surfing-"

"School is important."

"It is, trust me, I get it, jack. But, ugh, I'm terrible at this." He muttered, ruffling up his hair.
I felt my eyebrows tug downwards, in confusion.

"I know this isn't a great example but I'm not going to always be here. And I just don't want you to shut down and close people out. If you um, need to talk to someone you know pepper or Rhodey will always be there for you. And Obadiah will help with the company. Plus, you have friends at school. Your not alone and you never will be. Okay?" He sounded exasperated.

"Yeah, I get it." I nod.

"I'm your dad, I'm going to worry, despite having the most perfect son."

I laughed a little at that. "God, dad, your so embarrassing." He groaned.

"I mean, have you even gotten one detention?"

"No, and I don't plan on it." I say, seriously despite the smile on my face.

"Your no fun, kiddo. At your age I was doing all kinds of wild things-"

"Oh, yeah. Great role model." I answer, rolling my eyes in the process.

"Apparently I am sense you turned out pretty great."

I snorted at that.

"So, do you have a girlfriend?" He asked nudging my shoulder with his.

"We are not having this discussion." I say, flatly. My cheeks growing red.

"So not a girlfriend but there is a girl?"

"Dad!" I groan.

"Is she pretty? Tell me about her." He questioned, sounding excited.

"Are you done?" I pointed towards the leftover crust on the plate.

"Come on! Tell me about this girl!"

"Nope." I took the plate and turned quickly. "Nice talk, dad. Good night!" I replied before heading up stairs.