Status: Complete.

The Youngest Avenger: Origins.

Experiments.

"It's not going to work." I insisted.

"And why is that, son?" Dad asked. Working the boots on.

"Well, the boots should work but your going over board with this. Your going to end up hurting yourself."

"You know, sometimes you need to run-"

"Before you walk, yeah, yeah, I know but I still think your going to hurt yourself."

"Well, let's try it out and see." He said, with a smirk on his face. I sat perched at the table, watching feeling half amused and half anxious.

"Okay, let's do this right. Start mark, half a metre, and back and centre. Dummy, look alive. you're on standby for fire safety."

"Don't blame dumm-e when you fall flat on your ass." I mutter, smugly. He rolls his eyes, and I'm the child in the father son relationship?

"You, roll it. Okay. Activate hand controls. We're gonna start off nice and easy and prove my son wrong. We're gonna see if 10% thrust capacity achieves lift. And three, two, one."

the boots launch dad up into the ceiling where he hits the wall and falls to the floor - Dummy sprays him with the fire extinguisher.

"Alright, say it." He grunts, getting up slowly.

"I Told you so." I say, with a smile.

I ignore my fathers sass and ranting towards dumm-e. I begin working on armor designs back at the computer and 3D simulation. I 'try on' a simulation arm section we haven't begun a real prototype. I get nit picky with it, editing and rebuilding different aspects of it.

"I like what your thinking, kiddo, make it lighter-"

"Making it easier to move." I finished his sentence.

"Up two. All right, set that." Dad said to JARVIS. I beamed, feeling proud. Like dad and my grandfather, I have the builders mind. I'm good at fixing things, I use science and rationality to get answers. And my answers always seem to turn out right.

However dad was never as serious for me to like these sort of things. Apparently grandpa was rather harsh on him. Dad never forced me to like these things, and insisted I stay with my age group although I could easily jump ahead in grade, like him.

Pepper walks into the workshop holding two mugs of coffee and a parcel. She hands me one, with a small smile. I mutter a thank you. It was turning out to be a good Saturday afternoon.

"I honestly don't know how you grew to be 6'2" with the amount of coffee you consume, jack." She says affectionally.

"I'm just lucky." I say taking a sip of the pipping hot, dark liquid.

"Lucky you didn't get your fathers short genes." She mumbled sassily.

"Hey!" He grumbled.

"It's true, though, I didn't get it from your side dad." I said, with a smirk.

"Is this pick on tony day?" He asked.

"Maybe it wouldn't be if you'd answer my calls. I've been buzzing you. Did you hear the intercom?" She stated.

"Yeah, everything's... What?" Dad asked.

"Obadiah's upstairs." I choked on my coffee.

"Great! You okay, buddy?" Dad asked.

I nodded meekly. Feeling green. I've done so well, hiding this...problem of mine...I didn't want anyone to know. They wouldn't accept me if they knew. Obadiah made that clear, I was angry at him for always checking up on me but thankful he was on my side. Right?

"What would you like me to tell him?"

"I'll be right up."

"I think I'm going to go over to Harry's house." I said, sliding off the chair, and finishing off my coffee.

"Why don't you come and say hi to uncle Obie before you go." Dad said. I nodded feeling sick.

"Okay. I thought you said you were done making weapons." Pepper said looking at the arms to dad's suit.

"It...This is a flight stabiliser... It's completely harmless." He explains. he activates the stabiliser and it launches him at speed back across the room, before ether of us could react. "I didn't expect that." He grumbled.

* * *
"How'd it go? It went that bad, huh?" Dad asked as we headed up stairs to the living room, joining Obadiah and pepper.

"Just because I brought pizza back from New York doesn't mean it went bad." Obadiah said matter of factly.

"Jack! How's everything going?" He asked pulling me close, his hand digging into my shoulder.

"Great, swell, actually." I said, trying to play it off cool.

"Not giving your father any problems? Here have a slice of pizza." He said, releasing me and grabbing for the box of pizza, I took a piece and folded it in half, eating the delicious food.

"Of course he wouldn't, I'm pretty sure he's a robot." My dad said confused as to why he would ask something like that.

"I just don't want you to get stressed."

"I'm going to head out. It was nice seeing you Obie." I say softly. Checking to see if I had my glasses, wallet and keys in my pockets. "Bye, pep, dad."

"Be back home by an reasonable hour? Call me if anything happens?" Dad asks as I slip on my shoes and put on a hoodie. Holding The slice of pizza in my mouth, in the process.

"Of course. See you later, I'm just going to Harry's." I say as I walk towards the door.