Status: Complete.

The Youngest Avenger: Origins.

Midnight discussions.

"Would you like something to drink?" I ask, Claire. She's sitting on a stool at the kitchen bar.

"Could I have a cup of tea?" She's asks sweetly.

"Sure. We have mint...green...pretty much any tea." I say, looking anywhere but her eyes. I feel so embarrassed about what happened. We left early and all she knows is I freaked out and needed to leave. I can't believe I almost slipped, I've been so careless tonight.

"Mint, please." She says. I flip on the kettle and but the bag in the mug. Waiting for it to heat up. I pull out a come from the fridge and loosen my bow tie, undoing the the top three buttons of my shirt.

"I see you're beating yourself up. Tell me what happened?" She asks, holding her hands delicately in front of her, a top of the counter.

I look up at her, Claire's blue seem to glow with trust and concern. She seems genuinely worried.

"I...um." I stammer. She gets up from her seat and walks around the bar. She wraps her arms around me.

"You don't have to be ashamed of whatever it is." She whispers, her voice calming.

"Promise not to tell?" I whisper feeling the squeeze of nervousness on my stomach

She lifts her pinky finger up. "I'll pinky promise. I won't tell a soul." I squeeze her pinky finger with mine.

"Alright...I'm, um, I'm a mutant." The moment the words left my lips it felt like a weight fell off my shoulders. Like I could breath again.

"I can read minds...and move things without touching them...I'm usually really good at controlling it but tonight, I don't know, I got distracted." The words came out uncontrollably.

"That's it?" She asked, looking confused.

"What? What do you mean, that's it?" I asked, feeling anxious.

"I'm sorry, that was a bad response." She says, frowning. "I just don't think that being a mutant is something to be ashamed of." She whispered, her hands firmly holding me in place.

"Y-you don't?" I stammered.

"God, no! Jack, what you have is special...its a gift." Her frown fades into a smile.

I felt like I could finally catch a breath, a small smile on my lips.

"I don't know what to say." I laugh "I thought you'd freak out."

"My aunt is a mutant. She can walk threw things." Claire says matter-o-factly. She shrugs her shoulders looking down and then back up at me. "I think you'd be surprised at how many people are okay with mutants."

"I was tolled I couldn't say anything. It would look bad for the company." The kettle was squealing, I turned around, poring the hot water in the mug and handing it to her. She says a quiet thank you, holding the mug in her small hands.

"Did your dad tell you that?"

"No, he doesn't know...Obadiah, he works for the company, he saw me moving something with my mind and he got mad. Saying that, that it could hurt the company."

"Are you going to tell your dad?" She asked.

"No! He would freak out and he just got back. I just can't , it would end ba-" she brushed her lips against mine.

"Shhh, it's okay." She sets the mug down with a small clatter. She wraps her arms around my neck. "I'll keep it a secret but, just know it's nothing to be ashamed of."

"Thank you." I whispered, resting my forehead against hers. "That means a lot." I mumble kissing her forehead.