‹ Prequel: No Place I'd Rather Be
Sequel: Love for You

Too Much of a Good Thing

Chapter Two

Paul answered the phone within two rings and happily greeted his former teammate.

“Nealer! How’s it going?”

James kept his cool. He didn’t want to attack Paul right away when he clearly had no idea what Paul could possibly want with his girlfriend.

“Hey, Paul.” James greeted. “Everything is great. How are you?”

“Good, good. Training starts soon. Been working out like a mad man. How’s Jo?”

James gritted his teeth, wishing his friend could see how affected he was by just a simple conversation they had together without him knowing.

“She’s fine,” James answered in monotone.

“That’s good to hear,” Paul said, totally not phased by the change in James’ tone. “She seemed pretty pumped about possibly opening up a store there. I just recently saw the stuff she made online. She’s ridiculously talented, man.”

James rolled his eyes. As if he didn’t already know how amazing Jo was. He didn’t need someone else to point it out to him.

“So what’s up?” Paul said, noticing how James had not said a word for a minute or two.

James suddenly remembered why he even called Paul in the first place and said, “It’s funny you brought up Jo because she’s the reason why I’m calling.”

“Why? Is she OK?” Paul asked in concern.

Concerned, my fucking ass. James fumed but was still managing to keep his anger under wraps.

“She’s fine, Paul. I just wanted to know since when did you and my girlfriend become best buds all of a sudden? It’s kind of weird, ya know? Jo’s been acting strange lately and it started when she started talking to you. I didn’t even know you guys knew each other.”

“Woah, man. Jo and I are just friends. C’mon, you know what.” Paul explained. “Remember when I introduced myself to her during one of the games she attended?”

He didn’t remember. Even if he did, not like he cared now.

“How’d you even get her number in the first place?”

“She didn’t tell you?” Paul questioned in confusion.

“Tell me what?”

Paul sighed, “I was in LA to visit a friend and thought I’d drop by her store since I read about it online. We had a little chit chat, exchanged phone numbers, and I was gone. Flew back home the same night.”

“She never told me that you saw each other. Why would she not tell me that?”

“I don’t know...I’m sure she just forgot.”

The anger in James rose up until he felt his the pulsing in his head; the familiar pounding he always felt whenever he was close to his boiling point.

James liked to think he didn’t have an anger problem yet everyone else around him thought differently. He was an extremely emotional and passionate guy. Whenever he poured out his heart and soul into something or someone, nothing could break him down more than being let down or hurt.

“Nealer? You still there?” Paul said on the other line.

“Yeah,” James answered. “Sorry, man. I just didn’t know you guys were talking.”

“It’s alright,” Paul accepted. “You sure you’re alright? If that doesn’t make you feel comfortable, I could stop talking to her. It’s no problem. I was just trying to help her out.”

“It’s alright, Paul. I’m sorry. I just got a little aggressive there.”

“Yeah, Paul laughed. “No kiddin’.”

Shortly after, James said goodbye and wished him luck on the new season.

As soon as he ended the call, he ran a few errands before getting back home to get dressed to meet his friend. He figured Jo wouldn’t be home for awhile and he was positive that she had no intention of talking to him after what happened in the last 24 hours.

His friend, Melanie, had texted him the address to a bowling center where the event she was covering was being held. In his casual attire, he headed inside the packed venue. Immediately, James noticed the large football players that took up most of the space. He didn’t know that he just stepped inside a charity event that was going on for the Tennessee Titans. Before he could move further towards the bowling alleys, security had stopped him.

“This is a private event.” The security man stated without even looking at him.

“I uh...I have a friend that works here.” James tried to explain.

The security man laughed. “Yeah, like I haven’t heard that one before.”

The security man grabbed James by the shoulder and pointed a finger towards a group of guys by the hot dog stand.

“You see those guys?”

James nodded.

“They all have ‘friends’ that ‘work’ here too. Maybe you should go over there and talk about those friends.”

Before James could even come up with some smart ass come back, Melanie popped up right next to the security man and said something to him that James couldn’t hear over the mixture of music, the chattering, and the bowling balls crashing into the pins.

The security man, without saying a word, opened up the ropes that separated the outsiders from the event.

“Thanks man.” James said with a smirk.

-

“I saw you were in trouble there and thought I’d come to your rescue,” Melanie smiled as she threw her perfectly curled blonde hair over her shoulder. Her smile, with dimples forming on her cheeks, was infectious. James was smiling before he even knew he was doing it.

“Thanks,” James said. “And thanks for inviting me. I didn’t know I’d be attending a Titans party.”

He jerked his head to the side, motioning over to the group of laughing men. Compared to them, James looked like just some scrawny looking dude. He decided that he would just keep his distance away from the real superstars.

“Yeah, I just finished my job here. A bit tiring but it was a lot of fun meeting most of the families and some of the players.” Melanie spoke. She then suggested that they grab a couple of drinks at the bar to which James was more than willing to take.

Once they were settled down with a drink in their hands, James asked Melanie about the other projects she was booked to do.

“Back to Pittsburgh, that’s for sure.” She announced. “I’m only here because one of their regular reporters, who also happens to be one of my close friends, got really sick. I got referred to by my friend and the Titans PR team flew me out here.”

James shook his head. “Sounds tiring. You must’ve been on your feet the whole day.”

Melanie shrugged and took of her blazer. “Not as tiring as skating all day, I’m sure. Which reminds me, how’s everything here? How’s the new team? Sorry you guys didn’t make it last season. I covered one story about you uhhh...ummm about the trade.”

He smiled a little, giving her a sign that it was OK to talk about the trade. People tried not to bring it up so much when in reality, it doesn’t bother James as much anymore. He has a new life in Nashville--a new life with the most amazing girl that he loved more than anyone.

“How’s everything back in Pitt?” James curiously asked. What he really meant was, “How’s the team? Do they regret letting me go? Are they falling apart without me?”

Melanie told him about the Pens’ new coaching staff and the new guys that joined the team. Those weren’t the things James wanted to hear. He wanted a real explanation why they had let him go right when he was settling down and getting comfortable. Fortunately for him, he didn’t have a family living with him then. No wife and kids to worry about moving to another state or possibly another country. He only had himself at the time which left him to think of terrible reasons why he was getting shipped to a different team.

Melanie noticed the look on his face. She understood that life as a hockey player wasn’t easy. They made millions each year, had wonderful perks that came along with their profession, marry gorgeous women and have beautiful children. But the downside of it all was getting traded, packing up and moving, and trying to settle down again and again. She couldn’t possibly know how he felt but she was sure of one thing: A team that promised him a stable job and salary for the next six years turned their backs on him and he was left to think of the worst.

She touched his arm, offering him the only thing she could think of. Comfort. She gave a small smile and squeezed his arm.

“Your fans thank you for all that you’ve done in Pittsburgh. Those people will have your back no matter what team you play for.”

It was nice to hear a new voice tell him something he hadn’t heard from anyone else. Everyone around him always said that he’d be a superstar in his new team and that he’s a good hockey player. At that moment, he was thankful that Melanie was there for him.

“Thanks, Mel. I really needed that.”

She gave him her charming smile before grabbing his hand.

“What are you doing?” He laughed.

“We’re gonna dance. You look like you just need to get on your feet and do something.”

Right there, right next to the bar, Melanie started to dance to the rhythm of the beat. James moved from side to side, not really dancing mostly because he was afraid he’d embarrass himself.

“Come on! You won’t be the only one dancing!” She assured him. He looked around and saw people in random areas of the bowling center dancing to the song the DJ that was hired for the night was playing.

Fuck it. James thought and started to dance with Melanie. He had been so caught up with working out, getting prepared for the new season, and dealing with shit at home that he forgot what it felt like to just have fun and let loose.

Nothing really mattered to him at that moment. His problems could wait.

-

“Dude, that’s fucking James Neal!” A guy nudged his friend and tipped his head in the direction of the athlete.

“No way!” His friend said, not hesitating to pull out his phone to take a picture.

“Should we go up to him?” The guy asked.

His friend shook his head. “Nah. He’s with his girl. Wouldn’t wanna cock block.”

They both laughed and agreed with that fact.

“Just post that shit on Twitter. The guys will be so stoked.” His friend nodded his head excitedly and uploaded the photo of James dancing with Melanie on his account with the caption ”The Real Deal!!!!!!!!!!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Apologies for the delay. I really didn't want to post this chapter up without having the next one finished. More to come!

Thank you to everyone who subbed/rec'd/commented. I'm really glad you guys are enjoying this and are excited about this sequel!