Status: I'm trying, don't hate me

Let Me Be Free.

He Was Trapped

People say children don't truly know what they want. They just know what they could possibly have. But what they want is often not what they get. It's like if you offer a small child a drink, the options being juice or coke, they may choose coke, and of course, they can have it, but their parents do not let them. It all depends on what parents allow them to have, and some parents don't allow the child to have what they really need to be happy.
He was trapped.

Alex was an odd child, or at least that's what people told his parents.
Alex was spoilt rotten, always given new toys and clothes, train sets, footballs, action men, little blue shirts, pyjamas with footballs on, everything that typically said 'I'M A BOY!'. His room was painted bright blue and he had pictures of cars and rockets tacked to his wall. But Alex wanted to play with baby dolls.
And Barbies.
And play dress up with long, sparkly princess dresses.
Alex wanted his possessions to scream 'I'M A GIRL!'.
But his parents wouldn't let him.
He was trapped.

That's the thing about parents, if their child has even the slightest 'weird' or 'unusual' trait, they try and get rid of it.
Banish it.
Make said child 'normal.'
That's what the Gaskarths did with Alex.
It's been going on for years. Alex is different. But sometimes people think different is bad. People thought what Alex really wanted was bad. Because Alex wanted to be different.
He was trapped.

Isobel Gaskarth first noticed her son was different when she took him to his first preschool session.
They walked into the small preschool, only a few children attended the morning classes, and Alex looked around, the girls were all playing with Barbies, and the boys were racing toy cars around all the objects in the room, Isobel pushed her son towards the boys slightly, but he ran off, straight to the girls,
'Can I play?' he asked in a small voice and he was happily welcomed by a young girl with platinum blonde hair in plaits, her green eyes sparkling as she smiled at Alex.
Her name was Lisa and her and Alex became best friends. Even at 3 years old, Lisa knew her best friend didn't want to be a boy.
She knew he was different.
He was trapped.

The day Isobel decided to take her son to a psychiatrist was exactly 5 weeks later.
She walked into the preschool to pick Alex up and found her son dancing around the room with Lisa, giggling and squealing, wearing a Cinderella dress, his little feet stuffed into plastic high heeled dress up shoes and a pink crown resting on his head, the preschool leaders found it adorable, but Isobel was shocked.
'Alex, take that ridiculous thing off!' She gasped, Alex remembers that clearly, she becazme so scary in those short few seconds, he pulled the outfit off quickly before his mother grabbed his hand and pulled him away from Lisa, making the young girl cry loudly, but Alex's mother didn't look back.
He was trapped.

The psychiatrist told her that a lot of children understand their sexuality before they even know how to say their own name. Alex believes that he should be a girl. The psychiatrist told Mrs Gaskarth that she could either make her son happy by letting him be who he wanted to be, or she could gently push boyhood upon the young child, as it may be a phase.
Isobel choose the latter, much to the psychiatrists secret disgust, she knew Alex was different.
But Isobel didn't care about anything other than how people viewed Alex. She didnt care what the nurse thought, nor did she 'gently push' boyhood upon Alex, she forced him into it.
He was trapped.

So Alex was forced to play with boys toys, forced to wear boy clothes, blues and greens and absolutely no pink. He was taken out of preschool. Banned from seeing Lisa. It was hell for the three year old.
He was trapped.

Years and years went by and Alex had to be a boy, even though he knew he was destined to be a girl, but he wasn't alone like he thought he'd be. Lisa was in his class at school and she recognised him instantly. They've been best friends ever since. Lisa never left Alex's side, they had girly sleepovers at Lisa's house, did each others make up, Lisa let Alex wear her clothes, they would lie in bed and talk about boys while Lisa brushed Alex's hair, Alex was so lucky to have her. He was lucky to have someone that understood how he felt.
He was trapped.