I'm on a sentimental journey, of no return or looking back

Part 11

*Breffni’s pov*
*3 days after the abduction*
“Tré, come back from there and close the door” I said quietly from the bedroom. Tré had a habit of just standing, staring into the nursery, I however, rather to keep it closed, at least until our babies were back, and they will be back.
Tré stumbled quietly into the room.
“Darling, are you sure they’ll be back?” he asked, “I mean, they came here, over powered me, and took them, all without being noticed by anyone. Are you sure the police know what they’re doing? Do they know where Oli and Edi are?” he asked, he had become rather reclusive since it happened, and I had become the strong one, a reversal of roles as such.

*across state with Gregg and Jimmy*
*Gregg’s pov*
“Gregg, are you sure we can get away with this?” Jimmy asked, once again. I sighed, and looked in the rear view mirror at the two kids in the back seat, and turned to him.
“For the last time Jimmy, we started this, so unless you want to go to prison for the rest of your life, I’d say u better start believing in this. It was your idea to get back at your ‘daddy’ so you better start doing some of the work, and stop bustin’ my balls.” Jimmy nodded slightly. If anything goes wrong, then it’s gonna be his fuckin fault.

We’d been driving for about 3 hours, just about reaching the state boundaries. Very soon, we’d be home, and I would have a ready made family. Jimmy wanted the kids taken away, but after that, they’re mine. Mine, and Shelly's, future. Then it hit me. We won’t get through customs with two kids, one maybe, but two, that’ll be almost impossible. I looked at Jimmy, sleeping silently, and the twins. I pulled into a rest-stop and picked up a box lying there. These kids could very easily put me inside for life, but they’d grown on me, I couldn’t just dump one at the side of the road, and hope it’s seen. It could be run over, or not noticed, and left to starve to death.

*Jimmy’s pov*
I woke up to find we’d stopped, Gregg was walking towards the car. He got in, started the engine, and pulled off. He kept his eyes on the road and didn’t say a thing. Five minutes down the road he pulled in again.
“Jimmy, you remember the number for that helpline?” he asked, a croak in his voice, like he was holding back tears.
“which one?” I asked. He glared at me,
“oh, yeah, it’s 555-7914, although I thought you told me to forget about that, and to think about the future.” I replied.
“well, things change.” He said as he took out his cell and punched in the number.

*Gregg’s pov*
The phone began to ring, and after the third tone, someone answered at the other end.

“Hello, Oakland PD, how may I direct your call?”
“The kids that were abducted…the ones from that dude and his wife…route 95, near the Parker Junction, there’s a rest-stop. You’ll find the kids there.”

And with that, I hung up the phone. Jimmy looked at me shocked, waiting for a reason.
“Why are you giving them hope? Or is it a clever plan to divert the cops so we can cross the boarder?” he was really clutching at straws, I didn’t answer him, I just kept driving.

Fifteen miles into Arizona I pulled over again. I turned to Jimmy.
“Look Jimmy, this has gone too far. I know what it’s like to be without a child, and I can only imagine what it’s like to have it taken away from you.”
“What you mean? We’ve done it, we got the twins across the state, you have two kids now, to raise as your own, it’s what you’ve always wanted. We can’t just dump two babies on the side of the road and leave them there to die. I want to hurt Tré, but not murder two kids in the process.” He was worried. I looked away from him.
“Jimmy,” I took 2 grand from the glove compartment, “take this, and go. Make a life for yourself, forget about me, and forget about him. You’ve made him suffer, you’ve made him hurt like you did. Take the money and go.”
“What about Olivia and Edmund? What are you going to do with them?” he asked, taking the money. I looked at him again. It was true, he did look like his father.
“Don’t worry about them, the cops have probably found them by now and are taking them back to their parents. That phone call I made wasn’t a teaser, it was the real thing. I left them in a lay-by when you were asleep.” He looked confused as it sank in. He nodded and got out of the car.
“Well, Gregg, it’s been good knowing you, and thank you. Good luck and I hope you’ll have your own kid someday.” And with that, he was gone, and so was I.