I'm on a sentimental journey, of no return or looking back

Part 13

I stood there, my hand on the wired glass, breathing in that stench of cleaning fluids that constantly fills hospitals. In the room in front of me, were two tiny cots, possibly the ones they vacated a few days before, Oli lay bright eyed, staring around her, but still with tubes and drips attached to her. Edi, however, was put in a medication induced sleep to allow him to recover. Due to his prematurity, the cold had hit him worse. I couldn’t bear to be apart from them, still, only separated by glass.

A nurse came towards me, lifted her hand and rubbed my back.

“They’re getting on okay now, it’ll only be a matter of days and you can bring them home. I know you don’t want them separated.”

I nodded. The only good thing out of this whole ordeal is that they’re too young to remember any of this. It will be etched in al of our memories for the rest of our existence, but at least they won’t remember.

“Can I hold them?” I asked hopefully, looking into her eyes. She nodded slightly.

“Only for a little while, and I’m afraid it would be unwise to move Edwin.” I nodded.

It hurt. Not being able to hold my boy after losing him for so long. Would this lack of bonding have an effect on him?

I followed her into the room, put on the cheap plastic apron, and carefully lifted Oli. She still looks so sweet, angelic. I remember when Sam looked like that. Angelic.

“We nearly lost you.” I whispered. “You hold on for your brother.” Tears forming in my eyes once again. She has Tré’s eyes. I looked over towards Edwin, he has mine, I thought.

My gaze slowly fell upon the window, Tré was standing there, his hand resting on the glass, worry on his face. I nodded slowly to him, wanting him to come in.

“Is something wrong?” he asked.

I shook my head.

“No, I just wanted a cuddle. How’s Sam?”

“Oh, she’s good, a little withdrawn, but we were told that was to be expected. Bill and Adie have her.”

He looked down.

“How’s my main man?”

I frowned a little,

“Good, but we can’t lift him. He’s in a drug induced sleep, the pneumonia set in worse on him, and he needs longer for the medication to take effect. But he’s gonna be fine.”

Tré nodded, still a worried expression on his face.

“Tré, what is it?”

He looked away.

“I just left the lawyer. He said there’s nothing we can do. If they say they followed procedure and did everything by the book, then we can’t contest that.”

I smiled,

“I don’t care. As long as the bubs get better, and we can go home, we can put all this behind us.”

Tré came closer and wrapped his arm around my shoulder,

“I reckon she’s got your nose you know.” He smiled.