Running From Lions

Part 1

It was night time and the seas were smooth and calm. The crew on SS James were sleeping soundly after a rough day at sea, as evident in their snores. One unfortunate sailor was awaken abruptly by a beautiful voice. It was difficult to hear at first, but slowly it got even louder, filling the cabin with a lovely serenade. The sailor, Matt, was confused at how his other crew members were not awoken from their slumber by such a wonderful voice. They must be dead tired if they cannot hear, Matt thought, as he fished for his flashlight before heading to the decks.

Get me out of this place, before I cause more damage,
A small price to pay for building houses out of matchsticks;
And when things get too hot, you've got me to blame for,
Every fire that breaks out in every lover's name


He shrugged on a coat as he came into contact with the freezing sea breeze on the deck. The song was even louder, and Matt felt that whoever voice it was, it was enough to warm him up. He switched on the flashlight, and clutched it as he searched for the source of the voice. Nothing on the deck, unfortunately for him.

Don't forget, we've got unfinished business,
Stories yet to unfold,
Tales that must be retold,
And I regret not knowing when to put an end to all this madness,
Keeps me wanting,
Keeps me wanting more...


Matt strained his ears, and the voice sounded as if it came from the side of the boat. He excitedly ran there, and peered over the rusty railings and into the black water. As if on cue, the song stopped. Matt could feel his heart sink, before sighing and switching off his flashlight. Maybe it was just his imagination.

Sell me out I'm yesterday's old news,
Phrases left on paper,
Black ink bleeding through
The pages where we made our history.
Call me foolish
I feel hopeless...


It was back! And once again, Matt peered over the railings and he found the source. It was the most beautiful person he ever met, with wet brown hair slicked to the left, and sweet large brown eyes to match. His lips were drawn into a smile, and Matt had to point out, whoever that man was in the water looked unbelievably hot with his broad shoulders and trimmed chest hair. The moonlight illuminated his appearance, and it seemed as if his fair skin shimmered.
Matt didn’t seem to question why this man was in the water since he was so intrigued with this stranger’s voice. The stranger smiled and took his hand out of the water, stopping his song again.

“My name is Alex.”

His normal voice is even more amazing than his singing, husky without it being too rough, Matt screamed in his head.

“Would you like to follow me?”

Before Matt even had time to reply, Alex resumed singing again, stretching his arm to Matt.

Running from lions, never felt like such a mistake

Weirdly enough, Matt found himself singing, sounding oddly similar to Alex, following him in the chorus.

Like a deer in the headlights…

Running from lions, never felt like such a mistake

I won't know what hit me...

Matt slowly tiptoed over the railing, struggling to reach for Alex’s hand with his.

Running from lions, never felt like such a mistake

Like a deer in the headlights…

As his fingers brushed with Alex’s, Matt’s feet were barely hooking onto the railing. He didn’t even realise that Alex’s smile twisted into a snarl, and his soft fingers turned into claws. Before Matt knew it, he was the only one singing at that point.

I won't know what hit me...

He pulled into the water, with nothing more than a small splash. Matt’s flashlight flickered slightly before rolling into the water, lighting up the now blood-red water as it sank to the bottom.

Far away, another sailor on another ship heard a beautiful voice.

Don't forget, we've got unfinished business,
Stories yet to unfold,
Tales that must be retold,
And I regret not knowing when to put an end to all this madness,
Keeps me wanting,
Keeps me wanting more...
♠ ♠ ♠
Please enjoy, and yes, I do know my other story hasn't been updated in forever, and I have no interest in continuing the series, so it is on hiatus for now... but this story, fortunately would be more of a three part series.