Office Space

Slade

In and out. That’s all he’s here for. Check out Queen’s business, find all the exits, security points, and main areas of traffic. There shouldn’t be anyone here. It’s almost one in the morning, for Christ’s sake.
So when he drops out of a ceiling panel and sees a woman sitting there, typing away, he’s a little surprised. He can’t see her face, just a long fall of blonde hair.
He’s not going to kill her, he’ll just get out without her hearing him, but his movement causes a piece of paper to slide to the floor and she stiffens. Damnit. Then she turns around, and damnit. It’s one of Queen’s friends, Felicity.
Her eyes widen, and she pushes back in her chair. He’s going to have to kill her, which is too bad. She’s a lovely thing, especially with the glasses.

He’s got a hand to his sword when she says, “If you get blood on my computer, I will come back from the dead and snap your neck with my newfound ghost powers.”
He pauses. His words. This snip of a thing just said his words. Queen’s little girlfriend just said his words. This is going to change a lot. He starts thinking of how to get revenge without making her miserable when he realizes that her breathing is shallow and there are tears in her eyes. Fuck.

“Well, I’ll be fucking damned,” he says instead of asking how she feels about vengeful murder sprees, which, considering she joined Queen’s team, she’s probably okay with them. Goddamn, this is a mess. Now she’s crying, just sitting there staring at him while tears fall down her face.
He remembers he was twenty when his soulmark came in, wrapped around his thigh. He remembers the sly winks and teasing, because he has a soulmate who’s so much younger.
He takes a step forward without really thinking and takes off the mask. It’ll be easier for her if she can see his face. This isn’t exactly his ideal way of meeting his soulmate, with her crying as soon as he speaks to her, but he’ll take what he can get.
Out of all of Queen’s friends, he knows the least about her. Whip smart, good with computers, likes red wine, has a tendency to run her mouth off, Jewish, looks good in a pair of heels. She never seemed very important before, just tech support.
She visibly composes herself, wiping at the tears on her face, and stares straight at him. The girl’s got spunk.

“I’m pretty sure you, you’re here to kill me,” she says, and she’s so young, how did a grizzled old soldier like him get marked by someone so young and beautiful? He touches the apple of her cheek, the skin there so soft, and is pleased when she leans into his touch.

“No. I wasn’t here to kill you,” he says, because he wasn’t, not really, and killing her wouldn’t have made him happy even if she wasn’t his soulmate. He’s started to hate killing in general, feels like it’s the only thing he’s good for.
He’s pleasantly surprised when she lifts both hands to his and tangles their fingers together. Her nails are painted dark green, the color of Queen’s hood, and he truly hopes that’s a coincidence. He smiles to comfort her, says what he’s been thinking since he saw her face. “You’re very beautiful.”

She colors wonderfully, skin warming under his touch. “You’re very, uh, muscely.” He grins and steps closer, looking down at the top of her head.
Their legs brush. She’s wearing a skirt, and he wishes he could peel those tights down her thighs, open her up for him. It’s going to be hard to focus around her.

“Thank you. Please stop crying. I realize that I’m probably not your ideal soulmate, but we must make the best of what we have.” He’s not going to be the kind of person who ruins their soulmate’s life, he’s not, they’ll make this work somehow. She sniffs once and kisses his knuckles, mouth soft.

“It’s fine. Just stop trying to kill my friends, and it’ll be fine.” All his plans for the future have gone out the window, he can’t destroy Queen and have her, and he doesn’t think she’s the kind of person to switch sides.

“I’ll think about it,” he says, keeping his face set because of course he’ll have to stop everything, Jesus.

“So, uh, platonic, or, um…” His attention returns to her immediately, and he almost laughs, because she’s sitting there, holding his hand, having just learned that her soulmate is one of the deadliest men on the planet, and she’s trying to flesh out their goddamn relationship.

“I won’t be able to keep my hands off you,” he says, lifting her to her desk so he can step between her legs. She’s barely a weight in his hands, and it’s times like these that he loves the serum.

“I’m gonna need time to process this.”

So is he.

“Mhm.” He kisses her quick, just a brush of mouths, and she tastes like strawberries. Stepping away from her is almost physically painful, and he puts the mask back on so she can’t see it on his face. “Don’t tell Queen about this.”

He can’t wait to see the look on the man’s face, if he’s honest with himself. She shakes her head several times. “Oh my God, of course not!”

Smart of her.

“I’ll see you in a few weeks.” That should be enough time for both of them to figure their lives out, and it’s not like he can’t watch her from a distance. She doesn’t have to know.

“How…you already know everything about me, don’t you?” She’s almost laughing to herself, and he’s impressed by how well she’s handling this. He nods, because it’s true, it would be stupid of him if he didn’t, and leaves.

He breaks into a wine shop, one of the nice ones, and grabs the first bottle of red that he sees. It can’t hurt to give her nice things. He leaves it on her kitchen table along with a note, waits for her to come home.
It’s three when she finally walks in the door, looking exhausted. She pauses in the kitchen, stares at the bottle for a few seconds, reads the note, then sits with her head in her hands. She drinks a glass of it, goes to bed looking a bit happier.
She leaves a glass of it on her fire escape, glancing furtively around, so he drinks it, toasts to her in his head. It’s not difficult for him to get into her apartment and wash the glass out while she sleeps. He leaves thinking of her, and how everything is going to change now.