Nothing Left to Say

New town, new school, new people

It was my first day at Concord, everybody else's 6th day, and I walked in sheepishly. I walked as fast as I could to the main office to get my ID which was required. After I got that and my schedule, I went to my first class and tensed up as everyone turned around to silently judge the "new girl". Finally the teacher stands up and says, "Why hello there! My name is Mr. Karlovanski and you must be Olivia?"
I look up from the ground and shyly say, "Uh..yes. Olivia F..Flynn."
"Well it's nice to meet you Miss. Flynn. Now do you go by Olivia or something else?"
"Well my friends call me Livvy, but I really don't care."
"Okay Olivia, you will be sitting next to Nicolas over there." I look over and see a really cute guy wearing a "Concord Marching Minutemen Percussion" jacket. I feel my cheeks start to flame a bright red as I start walking over. I sit down in the seat next to him. He turns my way and says, "Hi! I'm Nicolas, but my friends call me Nic without a K."
"Hi. I'm Olivia, but my friends call me Livvy with two V's."
"Well it's nice to meet you Livvy with two V's."
"You too."
"So what does your schedule look like?" I pull out my schedule and start reading it off.
"Uhmm, well first hour I have English obviously. Second hour I have Algebra II honors. Third hour is Study hall. My lunch period I have Biology. And Fifth hour I have marching band."
"You're in marching band?"
"Yeah. Why?"
"Well I am too. I'm center snare or snare captain or whatever the hell you want to call it." I giggle a little bit, but not loud enough for anyone to hear.
"Well if you want I can meet you by the cafeteria before band. That way you won't get lost," he says with a smile. I smile back and say, "Okay. Hopefully I won't get lost on my way to the cafeteria." The bell rings and I start making my way to my Algebra II class trying to find my way through the maze of hallways that seem to never end. Finally, with one minute to spare, I make it to my class with another very awkward entrance. The teacher walks up to me and says, "Hi. I'm Mrs. Buck. You can sit right over there by Sydney." I look around the room to see a girl waving her hand. I sit down and say, "Hi. I'm Oliv-," I think about it for a minute,"Livvy. Call me Livvy."
"Livvy. I like that. Well it's nice to meet you. What does your schedule look like, erm, let me rephrase that. What do you have for 5th hour?"
"Marching band. You?"
"Same! I play the clarinet. What about you?"
"I'm a percussionist. Preferably snare or mallets."
"Ah. So have you met anyone else from the band?"
"Uhm yeah. I think it's Nic, but without a 'K'."
"Ah Nic Kingsbury."
"Yeah I guess." We get started with our work and before I know it, the bell is ringing. I walk with Sydney to my next class through the twisting hallways that she seems to know like the back of her hand. I manage my way through Study Hall, Biology, and lunch. After lunch I stand by the doors at the cafeteria waiting for Nic. Finally I see him and start walking towards when he finally sees me.
"Hey. Glad you didn't get lost. You excited for your first band class?"
"I'm nervous. I'm hoping there is a snare spot open, but if not I can settle with pit."
"Wait. A. Minute. Hold. The. Phone. You're a percussionist? Why did I not know this?"
"Uhm...because it's not normally the first thing I tell someone I just met."
"Ah I see. I'm not sure about the snare spot, but I'm sure you could get into the pit easily."
"Okay. I will take whatever I can." I smile a little bit and he smiles back at me. I feel butterflies in my stomach when that happens. We walk into the band room and I get super nervous walking into the huge room. Lining the walls are banners that say either "State Finalist", "State Runner-up", or even "State Champion". I didn't realize how successful their program was. But hey, it's better than being in a school who barely makes state.