Frozen Stone

TEN

Maranda sat with her friends at a rounded table in a tavern in a forgotten corner of White Harbour, her eyes restlessly darting towards the door whenever it opened. A raven from Jon had found her in Ramsgate, inviting her to meet at a tavern as she had suggested instead of their usual spot to discuss their next move. Ygritte had noticed Maranda’s anxiety and was grinning to herself as she sipped at her mug of ale, only keeping her comments to herself because of warning glares from Osha. When Jon entered halfway through the evening, he shrugged off his heavy cloak and spotted the group of women. He cautiously approached them and took the empty seat next to Maranda, Danelle shouting at the barmaid to bring another drink.

“Drinks are on us tonight,” Maranda said as the mug was slammed down on the table before Jon, some froth spilling onto the cracked wood. She stood and raised her mug, the chatter between her Wildling friends quietening as they focused on her. “Here’s to us, because we’re doing a damn fine job at robbing the rich and giving to the poor. We couldn’t do it without you, Snow.”

“I’m sure you could,” he remarked and the girls chuckled.

“Let us drink and enjoy the night, the fires, the roof above our heads, the ale and hot food in our bellies, for before we know it we will be travelling once more. Drink as much as you can; we all deserve it!” Maranda finished her toast and Osha slammed her mug into Maranda’s, the others all joining in before swallowing plenty of their drinks.

“Didn’t think you were sentimental,” Jon commented as he lowered the mug from his lips. Maranda glanced at him briefly before shrugging the statement off.

“I’m not,” she said, denying a part of her that she wished wasn’t there. The muscular blacksmith that Mavys had been watching all night came to their table and introduced himself, making all of the girls giggle whilst the man’s friends whistled and hollered encouragement. While everyone was distracted, Jon leaned towards Maranda.

“I think it’s a nice part of you, Stone. A criminal with a heart isn’t something you see everyday,” he said quietly in her ear and she turned slightly, his face unexpectedly close to hers.

“You’re a criminal too,” she reminded him and he laughed, shifting away. “How does that make you feel? To know that you aid us looters, bandits, outlaws…?” Jon stared at his mug, pondering how to answer her question.

“It makes me feel alive,” he finally replied and Maranda smiled, understanding.

“Cheers,” she said before clinking her mug against his again, and they both drank to their kind deeds. As the night progressed, Mavys headed upstairs to the inn with the blacksmith and Ygritte followed not long after to sleep, exhausted from the travelling. Osha became reserved, leaving the table to sit before the fireplace alone and stare at it in deep thought while sipping slowly at her ale. Eventually Danelle and Barra shifted to the bar, sloppily attempting to eat thick soup and bread while drunkenly gossiping with the barmaid, leaving Maranda and Jon at the table immersed in their private conversation.

“Where’s Ghost?” Maranda wondered and she watched as a loving smile lit up Jon’s face.

“In the stables, hopefully behaving,” he replied, uneasy about how he couldn’t have his companion by his side. “And Umbra?” He raised his mug and finished the last of his ale.

“Outside the kitchen eating scraps. I paid the cook to look after her,” Maranda answered. “I wish she could come inside, but she scares too many people.”

“It’s worse for a direwolf,” Jon remarked. Maranda reached out and placed her hand atop his, giving it a short squeeze.

“Thanks again for giving me that key in Winterfell. I don’t know what I would do without her,” she said quietly, her appreciative smile warming Jon.

“I’m sure you would have done the same for me,” he said, considering what to do next. Before he could reach a conclusion, Maranda withdrew her hand and he accepted her action. “I should head upstairs. If I drink any more, I won’t be able to make it to a bed.” They shared a laugh and then stood from their table, Osha taking note and rising from her seat too.

“We’ve already reserved a room for the night. You’re more than welcome to join us,” Maranda offered but Jon shook his head.

“Thank you, but I will rent my own. Goodnight, Maranda,” he said before walking up to the barmaid to pay for a room.

“Just wait ’til Ygritte hears that he called you Maranda,” Osha teased as they slowly climbed the stairs and Maranda nudged her friend, almost knocking her off balance.

“He’s still Snow to me,” she insisted.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologise for the lack of updates - NaNo and life got in the way.

What do you think, is he really still Snow to her?