Frozen Stone

TWO

After an awkward ride to Winterfell sitting in front of Robb’s companion, Jon, Maranda found herself in a damp cell below ground. Jon had promised that Umbra would be taken care of, and Robb had informed her that she would have a small trial the following day to explain herself. She barely slept, tossing and turning on the uncomfortable bed as she wondered what the punishment would be for stealing from the Lord of Winterfell. Before she knew it, Maranda was standing before Northern men who were seated at a table, the cuffs around her wrists itching. Her dark brown hair was still swirled into a messy bun atop her head, and she wore the same white clothing she had on the day before, but minus her armour. Aside from recognising Robb and Jon at the table, she took note of the younger man next to Robb, who she guessed was yet another brother of his. A much older man also resided at the far end of the table next to the scribe, and judging by how he was important enough to be present and the chain hanging around his neck, she guessed that he was the Maester of Winterfell.

“Maranda Stone, you have been brought before us for the theft of fifteen Gold Dragons from my belongings. Do you deny that you did this?” Robb questioned formally, a contrast to how casually Maranda was standing before him.

“No, I took them,” she answered simply.

“Why?”

“Because I needed money,” Maranda stated as if the answer was obvious and he was foolish for not comprehending.

“But why? You have nice clothes, a well-crafted bow, you appear well-fed; surely you have money,” Robb remarked and she shrugged.

“You have my belongings, so you should know that the only coins I had on me were yours.”

“Did you get everything you own by stealing?” the younger man piped up and Maranda turned her attention to him, noting his endearing expression.

“Yes. But only from the rich, only from those who it will not make a difference for if they are missing some coins,” she replied with a smile. “I treat myself in a town, and then I give my spare money to the poor before I leave. I didn’t realise it was such a crime to be a nice person.”

“You take things that are not yours. That is a crime,” Robb interrupted, clearly not approving of her actions or justifications.

“Be honest, brother,” Jon scoffed as he leaned back in his chair. “Were you really going to miss those fifteen coins?” Robb’s jaw tightened as he glared at Jon.

“Why not work?” Robb asked, his focus back on Maranda.

“Because pinching something from someone who doesn’t deserve it is far easier than slaving over work and getting a few Coppers,” she answered with a shrug. She had come much further by stealing than she ever had by working. Robb sighed and drummed his fingers against the table, showing how unimpressed he was.

“Do you have anything else to say for yourself?”

“No.”

“Very well. I sentence you to punishment in Winterfell. You will remain here and help with chores until you have earned the fifteen Gold Dragons. Is that understood?” Robb declared and Maranda’s jaw fell open.

“But that’s-” she protested, not wanting to waste precious time repaying the lord.

“You’re dismissed!” Robb interrupted and Maranda was dragged out of the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Any thoughts on Maranda so far? Or perhaps how well her punishment is going to go?