Frozen Stone

FOUR

Fortunately Osha had liked Maranda’s suggestion and spent the next few days showing Maranda around Winterfell and plotting their escape. Finally a rainy night came, and Osha appeared at Maranda’s cell door to let her out.

“You have ten minutes in the armoury. We can’t wait any longer than that. I’ll keep watch,” she hissed as they darted across a muddy pathway to the armoury. Maranda nodded her agreement and then hurried inside, Osha staying put with a kitchen knife as protection. First Maranda saw plenty of daggers and swords, and after a quick glance over the closest rows she picked a few blades out to arm herself and Osha with. She strapped them around her waist as she hurriedly walked over to the racks of bows, her blue eyes frantically darting around in search of her prized possession. Finally the pale brown wood engraved with a rearing shadowcat caught her eye and Maranda rushed over. Her quiver and fitted armour were also there, and she quickly pulled on the heavy material and slung the quiver over her shoulder.

“You shouldn’t take that,” a voice warned as she reached out to grab her bow. Maranda seized it anyway and turned to see Jon standing a mere five steps away from her.

“Why not?” she wondered, straightening her back and locking eyes with him.

“Robb will send hounds after you first thing in the morning. You’re making a fool of him, so I doubt his second punishment will be as forgiving,” Jon answered rather calmly.

“Well, I have places to be, so if you will excuse me, my Lord,” Maranda muttered, taking a step towards the door where Osha was waiting.

“I’m not a Lord, you know,” Jon said, Maranda keeping her back turned to the man who clearly wasn’t a threat. “I’m a bastard just like you.” The harsh word made Maranda automatically hesitate and she looked back at Jon, seeing what she could have become in an honest life.

“It doesn’t matter what my name is,” she snarled.

“But it does. Because of that burden, we’re always fighting for acceptance in some way. This is you trying to do good, isn’t it? Taking from the rich and giving to the poor,” Jon wondered and Maranda shrugged.

“So what if it is? It has nothing to do with you.”

“I admire you for doing that. I think you’re doing a lot more good than I ever will,” he replied honestly and Maranda felt a pang of sympathy for him. But she brushed it off and plastered a sarcastic expression on her face instead.

“I really must be on my way now,” she said with a fake smile, just wanting to get away from the emotions that Jon was somehow digging up.

“Here,” he said, tossing a key to her. “That will unlock your cat’s cage. She’s by the chicken coop.” Maranda paused as she stared at the key, eyes wide and lips slowly parting with shock.

“Thank you,” she whispered before regaining her composure. “I’ll repay you for this one day, Snow.”

“I’ll be looking forward to the day, Stone,” she heard him call as she fled the armoury in search of Umbra.
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think, is there a cute spark between them?