Frozen Stone

NINE

“Promise me you’ll invite him,” Ygritte whined as Maranda absentmindedly shoved a pebble around with her foot. Osha sat on the ground nearby, sharpening her dagger and smirking at Maranda’s frustration. “If not for you, then for me.”

“I told you, no one’s getting close with him. It’s too risky,” Maranda replied with a sigh.

“I only want to get close to him for one night,” Ygritte drawled before licking her lips. “You can’t tell me you don’t think he would be good. And it would be another thing to shove in that posh lord of Winterfell’s face, that you slept with his brother.” Maranda chuckled, partially agreeing with Ygritte’s ramblings about Jon for once.

“Except for the fact that I never want to see that arrogant lord again, so I doubt I would be able use something like that to hurt him,” she countered as the sound of a horse trotting met her ears.

“Just invite him,” Ygritte insisted.

“No.”

“Do it! It’ll be fun!” she continued as the horse came over the rise, Jon’s wild curls bouncing in the breeze and giving his identity away.

“Shut it,” Maranda growled and Osha had to stifle a laugh. Maranda stalked away from the two, glaring at Osha who kept on grinning wickedly, and approached Jon as he dismounted.

“Good morning,” he greeted her and Maranda winced as Ygritte’s teasing words began running through her mind.

“Do you have news from Barrowtown?” she asked and a smile lit up Jon’s face.

“They’re surviving,” he informed her. “Did you run into any Ironborn?”

“No. I think they were back at sea by the time we arrived.”

“Well that’s lucky, then,” Jon remarked with a hint of relief and Maranda diverted her eyes to the belongings secured to the horse’s saddle.

“Got my next payment, Snow?” she questioned to distract herself from Ygritte’s proof of Jon’s care for her.

“Oh, uh, right here,” he muttered before untying a pouch and handing it over. “For Ramsgate. The Lord of White Harbour is ignoring their pleas for help too.”

“Understood,” Maranda said with a curt nod, prepared to turn on her heel and leave without further exchange. She didn’t want his attention and affection, as those things would only make her weak. Even having companions travelling with her and aiding her during fights was a risk due to their bonding, but she had to take that risk for her own protection.

A bolt of white caught her eye and she spotted Ghost rounding a boulder. Blending into the shadows was Umbra, but instead of swiping at the direwolf she reached out and they sniffed each other’s noses. Maranda raised her eyebrows as Umbra then leapt playfully to the side, an action she rarely did to Maranda now that she was no longer a juvenile. Ghost responded positively and the two were soon chasing each other, gracefully leaping up the icy boulders. Maranda noticed the smile that had unknowingly crept onto her lips and she felt a pang of annoyance at herself for being rude to Jon. She should be kinder, like Umbra was to Ghost.

“Let’s celebrate our success at the closest tavern. Drinks are on me,” Maranda offered just as Ygritte had suggested she do. Jon hesitated, almost blurting an agreement but then remembering his other plans.

“I would like to, but I must return to Winterfell. If I did not return on schedule, it would raise too much suspicion,” he politely declined and Maranda nodded.

“Of course. Well, here…” she mumbled, fishing around in her small change pouch and retrieving some silvers and coppers. “Your next drinks are on me anyway.” She held her hand out and Jon smiled before taking the coins from her.

“Thank you, Stone. Next time, perhaps.” With a nod, Maranda dismissed herself and turned, heading back to Ygritte who was barely containing her excitement and Osha who continued to doubtfully watch Jon, just in case.

“Don’t even,” she cut Ygritte off with a growl. “I’m just being friendly.”

“Sentimental, even,” Osha said with a touch of sarcasm. Maranda kept her cold expression until she had stormed past the others, but as she lead the way down the path she realised that a smile had crept onto her lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think, is Maranda just being friendly?