The L Word.

My best friend the liar.

“Oh my god!” Mandy squealed right into my ear. I couldn’t blame her, my own heart was doing somersaults and I could feel my face turning red.

“Are you serious?” I asked Harry, just in case.

“ Yeah man. He's like crazy over you. He really wants your number.” Harry grinned and waited.

“ Here.” Mandy placed a piece of paper on Harry’s open palm. I supposed it contained my hand phone number. I waited for Harry to walk away before I let out my own squeal of delight. Eric Cooper just asked me for my number. He was the most amazing guy in my school and I’ve had a crush on him since the beginning of high school.

“So, how does it feel having a hot guy ask you for your number?” Mandy asked. Mandy was my best friend. She had blonde hair , blue eyes and a wonderful figure. Mandy was the girl everyone liked, I was more of the nerdy best friend. I was a brunette and I had to wear black spectacles due to myopia. I was just too tall and very awkward with my own body.

“Isn’t it funny how you’re like together with Mike and Eric asked me for my number?” I asked Mandy. Eric and Mike weren’t exactly the best of friends as there was a rumor going around that Mike wanted to beat Eric up a few days ago.

“Yeah, sure is. Do you wanna go to the mall? I’ve totally got to pick out some new clothes.” I nodded in agreement and followed Mandy along.

*************************************************************************************************
Eric called that night. He didn’t really say much on the phone, except inviting me to a pool party at his house on the following Saturday, two days away. He told me he didn’t mind me bringing Mandy along which was a good arrangement as I totally needed her there for emergency advice.

Needless to say, Eric was all I talked about for the following two days. Mandy made me buy a cute bikini specially for the pool party. It had polka dots on it and she told me polka dots were flirty.

Mandy’s behavior seemed to have changed after Eric asked me for my number. She was more absent-minded and had this worried look on her face. I supposed it was due to the riff between Mike and Eric. I was kind of worried. I mean, I don’t want to lose a best friend because of some guy. Mandy meant much more to me than that. She had been with me since the beginning of high school which was a few months ago and we were tight. I wouldn’t want to do anything to hurt her or our friendship. I suppose I better talk to her about it at the pool party or something.

************************************************************************************************
It was today, the pool party. I considered it as me and Eric’s “first date”. I slipped on my new bikini and my new dress from Billabong that I was going to wear over the bikini. I grabbed my bag and headed out to Mandy’s waiting car. Mike was obviously not invited to Eric’s pool party and Mandy hadn’t told him that she was going. He would be fuming mad if he found out and I was touched that Mandy was willing to risk her boyfriend’s feelings just to accompany me.

We were at Eric’s house in no time. There were many people there and they waved hi atus Mandy as she knew alot of people. I saw Eric playing in the pool already and my heart did jumping jacks.

“Oh my god! He’s coming over!” I screamed mentally.

“Look who’s coming.” Mandy whispered.

True enough, Eric was in front of me in seconds.

“Hey. Glad you could make it.” He smiled. “Catch the two of you later yeah?” With that, he walked away, presumably going back into the pool.

Mandy and I walked into the kitchen where some of the girls from school were there. We talked and ate and talked. I was engrossed in a conversation with a mutual friend when I remembered what I had to say to Mandy. I just wanted to ask her what was up with her recent attitude these couple of days. But Mandy was no longer in the kitchen.

“Um, sorry but do you know where Mandy went?” I asked around.

“ Into the living room I think.” One of the girls answered before returning to her own conversation. I mumbled a thanks before heading out to the living room.

“ Hi. Where’s Mandy?” I asked Harry as I spotted him sprawled out on the couch, playing Guitar Hero with another girl.

“ In the closet. She’s changing or something.” He replied.

She must have gone in there to change out and go for a swim in the pool. I decided to find her in there and maybe get out of my dress too. I couldn’t wait to go swimming with Eric. The closet was not hard to find as there was a huge sign sporting the words “ CLOSET” outside a black door. It was unlock and I pushed it open without thinking.

I really did stop thinking as I saw the scene before me. Mandy was in her bikini, sitting on Eric’s wet lap. They were kissing, no , more like sucking each other’s face off. And Eric’s hand had disappeared inside Mandy’s bikini. I didn’t even want to think about what was happening down there.

They didn’t even hear the door creak open. I closed it as quietly as I opened it and left the pool party. I couldn’t believe it. My own best friend, snogging a guy whom she knew I had the hots for! The guy who asked me for my number and feigned interest in me, snogging my best friend! I was not angry because Eric was kissing Mandy. I was angry and sad because Mandy was actually kissing Eric back and I know for a fact that she wasn’t drunk. She even let him feel her up! Here I was, worried that my best friend was feeling down because of me. How naïve and stupid I was.

Just as I reached my house, something dawned on to me. What if Mandy was in this all along? What if Eric asking my number was all a ploy not to arouse Mike’s suspicions? I mean, Eric didn’t even bother to personally ask me for my number.

“ Stupid. You are so stupid.” I told myself over and over again. I laughed at my own stupidity. How was I going to face them on Monday? Mandy and Eric must have been laughing at me silently all along. I just trusted her too much.

There is a very blurred and thin line between friends and enemies isn’t it? If only I had known sooner.

That was my last thought as I swallowed the whole bottle of sleeping pills from my mom’s medicine cabinet. Maybe a good, long sleep tonight would able to clear up my head.

How I wish this was a sleep I would never wake up from.