Status: Contest entry

Two of Everything

3

The days leading up to the arrival of the twins were torture for the young couple. The waiting, anticipation, excitement, and fear drove them crazy, turning htem into complete nervous wrecks.
However, the days following the birth were some of the best days either of them had ever experienced.

Watching his wife give birth had almost killed Drew both physically and mentally. He would have given up his Gold Medal to take the pain away and he would have dropped his gloves to fight if any guy in the NHL had said some of the things Amber said…but he knew it was the pain talking and that she only meant half of the words she uttered.

“Lyla Grace Doughty and Aubrey Lynn Doughty,” Drew would always remember telling their parents for the first time as they waited in the family room for the news.

The kisses and tired “I love yous” he and Amber exchanged after would only be matched by their wedding vows and the slightly inappropriate kiss at the alter.

And finally, the feeling of holding both Aubrey and Lyla would never be topped in a million years.
The first time he held his daughters was more emotional, scary, and perfect than hoisting the Stanley Cup or winning any amount of Gold Medals would ever be.

--
Amber laughed from her seat next to Connie as Drew was kicked in the shin by Lyla.

“Ly, knock it off!” Drew told her for the millionth time.

“She’s a little shit, isn’t she?” her mother-in-law laughed, “Kind of like Chelsea was when she was young.”

“That’s what Drew said,” Amber laughed, “Because it’s not my fault, we all know I was an angel.”
Connie and her mother, Anne, laughed, “Sure you were,” Anne smiled.

“It’s my story and I’m sticking to it,” Amber took a sip of her drink.

The couple was home for the summer with their families and their three year old daughters. The girls loved going home for the summer, but they missed the beach and all their friends.

“She’s mad she had to miss her friend Abby’s birthday party,” Amber shared, “Aubrey took it better, but only because she took our bribe of horseback riding. Lyla is too smart…”

“Kind of like someone else,” Anne winked at her daughter.

Lyla went to kick her father again, but he stopped her by grabbing her and lifting her over his shoulder, “Come on, I think it’s lunch time,” he tickled her.

“Daddy, stahhhpppp!” the three year old giggled.

“Not til you say it,” he laughed too as they walked toward the deck.

“No!” she yelled.

“Say it….” he playfully warned.

“Daddy!”

“Lyla!”

“I love you!” she screamed as she laughed.

“Thought so,” he set her on his wife’s lap, “If only your Momma was that easy,” he leaned down to kiss his wife but she pulled away.

“Say it,” she teased.

“I love you,” he whispered.

“Sucker,” she kissed him.

“When are there going to be more of these?” Drew’s dad, Paul, walked out with Aubrey at his side.

“Ha!” Amber laughed.
“I’m working on it,” Drew winked at his father.

After their parents left Drew and Amber were putting the girls down for the night. He tucked Aubrey in and kissed her as Amber did the same to Lyla, the two switched beds but not without giving each other a quick kiss in between beds.

When they were in their room Drew took her hand, “They exhaust me.”

Amber nodded, “They have that effect.”

“Still worth it?” he asked with a smile.

She moved her head from side to side, as if weighing the pros and cons, “For the most part.”

“You know, we could make it even more worth it…”Drew walked up to her.

“Remember when I told you I always have a plan?” she ran her hands up and down his stomach.

“Yes…” he studied his wife.

“Well, I was thinking that we could aim for October or November again, that way we won’t have to
worry about you being in season. It worked out pretty well last time and…”

“And, I fucking love you,” he kissed her, “I’m so lucky you think of these things, otherwise we’d be
having babies every nine months to the day.”

Amber laughed, “Thank God one of us is smart.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The End!!! Hope you guys like :)