‹ Prequel: Fallen Embers
Sequel: Kiss the Flame

Feed the Fire

The Final Countdown

Image

New Year's Eve was like any normal day except it found everyone in New York City getting around at MTV studios for a sound check for the party that night. The men of Green Day and members of Sabrina's band, various girlfriends and wives and managers mulled around the green room waiting for things to be readied; the only person missing was Sabrina.

Toby glanced at his watch and pulled out his cell phone one more time and tried his charge's phone. Yet again the call was kicked right to voice mail and he just hung up not bothering to add another message to the five ones he had left earlier; each one getting more frantic than the last. He was slightly worried since he had not heard from the woman since Christmas day when he called to see how she was doing.

When the MTV head honcho walked in yet again to see if Sabrina was there, Toby became officially nervous. She had never blown off a gig without telling someone something and he knew that she wouldn't blow off such an important gig as tonights. Sabrina Sanders was 'headlining' the party; much as Green Day did a few years ago. She was set to play before midnight and then do the countdown and play a few more songs ending out the night. Green Day was set to open the show which was a switch from their current tour configuration where they were the headliners.

Toby was steeling himself to have to tell the network that Sabrina was a no-show but Beth could open and Green Day headline; that he would make it work. The man glanced around the room and saw Beth and Mike sitting together but somehow seeming as though they were a thousand miles apart. The manager knew that they spent the holidays together but from accounts he had heard it fell apart during dinner at The Armstrong's. Something about Beth getting upset about being there and Mike explaining why he had slept with her or something to that extent; it was what Billie had overheard of the conversation.

The ringing of his cell phone brought Toby back from his musings and with a shakey exhaled breath that was noticed by all in the room, he answered his phone. "Where the fuck are you Sabrina?"

"I'm in the air being helicoptered in from the airport to the building. I'll be there is a few minutes."

"Why couldn't I get a hold of you earlier?"

"I was in the air silly... can't have the phone on when I'm flying."

"Okay, hurry the fuck up... You caused me to lose about 10 years off my lifespan you ass."

"Copy that Toby; I'll make it up to you somehow. See you in a few."

The man hung up his phone and slumped down into his seat. He brought his hands up to rub his eyes as if that simple motion would get rid of the thunderous headache that Sabrina had caused to go away. He turned to an intern who stood by the door, "Can you please go find me some heavy duty headache meds and let the Big Boss know that Sabrina is on her way." The young man quickly ran from the room to do Toby's bidding as the man once again rubbed his eyes. "That woman will be the death of me," he muttered to nobody in particular.

Within 15 minutes a rushed Sabrina Sanders burst into the room bringing with her the nervous energy that seemed to generate around her when she was flustered; and she was beyond flustered at that moment in time. She had book ass to get from where she was in New York to get to the city as quickly as possible. She knew she was late but was unable to contact anybody to let them know that she was indeed on her way. The woman could tell that she would have to do some major ass kissing to appease Toby; she knew from the tone in his voice that he was not a happy camper with her.

She breezed by everyone and focused her attention on her manager. Without missing a beat she dropped to her knees and crouched down at his feet as if he was a god to be worshiped. "Oh great Toby, please forgive this humble wench from being late. I meant not to do you harm. Please take pity on me and let my punishment be swift and merciful," she intoned like a slave bowing to her master.

Any red blooded straight man would have loved to have had Sabrina Sanders on her knees in front of them but the manager chuckled at the fact that this was lost on him since he was gay. Toby snorted at the woman still bowed with her head to the floor. "Punishment? Fuck you'd enjoy that WAY too much woman, your punishment is NO punishment."

Sabrina gracefully rose to her feet and kissed the man on the cheek. "Thanks, Boss," she said with a smile as she dropped off her jacket and moved over to grab a bottle of water from the cooler. After taking a huge swig, she wiped her mouth with the back of her hand and spoke out to the room, "When is sound check?"

"About 10 minutes ago," Jill spoke up with distain at the new presence in the room. "You were supposed to sound check 10 minutes ago."

Sabrina ignored the catty remark and looked at Tre who sat there like a bump on a log while Jill was once again disrespecting her. The thought of what she had ever saw in him to begin with, floated through her mind. She blinked at that thought and then wondered if she was finally beginning to get over the drummer. She then looked over to Beth and Mike and wondered what was going on there, but knew that someone would fill her in on all the dirt from the holidays at some point in time; she was content to wait on that information.

The sound check went well and Beth was slated to do sing a song after Green Day but before Sabrina came out. That was a little daunting to the young woman who wasn't used to the spotlight, but it was Toby's idea and she was just going along with it. The man even had mentioned to her after their sound check was over if she had ever thought about getting a manager, and if so, he would love the opportunity to do it. Beth thought about Toby's words and actually gave them some thought.

Beth wandered down a corridor to one of the rooms MTV was allowing the bands to use as dressing rooms. She walked into the large conference room and over to the window which had a great view of Times Square and even though it was still daylight, the crowds were in force beginning to cover every square inch of blacktop that was slowly turning into a sea of humanity. She just was amazed at the sheer volume of people all in one place to celebrate one small moment in time.

Mike quietly followed the young woman to the room and stood in the hallway looking at her profile as she gazed out the window. Her beauty took his breath away and brought welcomed memories to his mind's eye. As she stood unaware of the man watching her lips parted as she was lost in thought and Mike got lost himself. He didn't even realize he was moving until he was behind her staring out at the same sight.

Beth finally felt Mike's presence when he began to twirl a lock of her hair around his finger in a subconscious dance of his mind. She turned and took in his strong profile back lit by the sunshine streaming through the window. Slowly he turned and met her gaze; a small smile ghosting over his lips. She ducked her head as she allowed words to penetrate the silence, "What are we doing?"

Without missing a beat he replied, "We're taking one day at a time." He brought the tendril he had been playing with to his nose and inhaled the deep rich scent of Rose hips. "Herbal Essence..." he murmured out loud.

Beth smiled at his tender gesture and her heart gave a lurch in her chest. As she contemplated his answer to her question the smile changed as she frowned slightly. "What do you mean by 'one day at a time'? Sounds like the only thing you could come up with was a bad quote from that Anne Murray song."

Mike shook his head at the sarcastic bitch side that had made itself known. "What I meant was... I don't know what we're doing but all I know is that I enjoy being with you and spending time with you. I am more than willing to just not think about tomorrow but focus on the here and now as long as that means I can be around you."

The man drew Beth into his arms and held her against his chest. Beth could hear the thump thump of his heart beating to its own time. She nodded her agreement to his words and allowed herself to be warmed in his embrace. "The here and now sounds like a good idea," she said. After the words left her mouth she would have sworn on her little fat gold man that his heart beat hitched for just a nanosecond before speeding up as the words sunk into his being.

In another room Sabrina sat curled up on a sofa reading a book. As she was engrossed in her book, an unknown motion coming from inside her body caused her to stop short and cock her head in wonder. As her brain was processing what had just occurred, it happened again. A feeling that was not unlike a feeling of her being tickled from the inside out was happening. "Fluttering," she exclaimed softy. She placed a hand upon the slight bulge of her abdomen and a wistful look crossed her face at the miracle that was showing itself to her for the first time of this pregnancy.

Tre and Billie Joe were walking down a hallway trying to find some out of the way room where they could sneak a bowl in peace. Due to the fact of being New Years' Eve Jill and Adie didn't put up a fight when the boys mentioned what they wanted to do. Bill was checking rooms on his right while Tre looked for a place on his left as the two continued down the corridor.

One room they passed something inside caught Tre's attention. The drummer stopped and took another look inside. Billie caught Tre's movement and stopped only to be waved on by the other man, "Go on, I'll catch up in a sec." Tre stood against the doorway watching Sabrina with a hand resting lightly on her stomach and a content smile on her face. He was unsure if he would be welcomed to enter the room but he threw caution to the wind as he maneuvered himself next to her on the sofa. The woman never uttered a word but rather grabbed his hand and placed it in the spot where her own hand had been.

He turned and looked at her with confusion written on his face until she looked at him and supplied the missing information, "Butterflies fluttering," she said gently to the man sitting next to her. It took a minute before the confusion was replaced with understanding as Tre figured out that the baby was making his presence known to his momma for the first time. He smiled at Sabrina as a little bit of the old Tre came out from wherever he had been hiding and the two parents shared their first few moments of bonding over their impending arrival.

At 11pm the night began with Green Day starting things off. They decided to use the same attitude that they had during the Pop Disaster Tour and go for broke and try to blow away those who dared come after them. The studio had two stages set up, one for Green Day and one for Sabrina's band. The space in between said stages was the VIP section where the bands and other stars were able to enjoy the music. A DJ setup was also in that section so in between commercials and when the live music wasn't playing, there would not be a lull in the program.

Sabrina and her band along with their wives stood in the VIP section and enjoyed Green Day's set. Sabrina saw the gauntlet being thrown down and huddled with her band before they took the stage for a quick change in game plan. As Sabrina hung back as her band took to the stage for Beth's number, she gave an evil smile to the men who were now coming off stage and entering the VIP with her. Billie caught her grin and nodded his head to her, knowing what she was about to do and chuckling at her 'rising to the occasion.'

MTV VJ Sway moved next to Sabrina to introduce Beth. "Now taking the stage is the newcomer who is someone that we need to keep an eye out for... singing a song from Stevie Nick's book... here is Beth Pritchard." The cameras moved to see Beth standing in the middle of the stage in front of her mic stand. Emmett counted off a beat and everyone came in with the driving drum beat. Sabrina smiled as the music started since song was part of the game plan change. It was not the original song Beth was going to play but this one rose to the challenge that Green Day started.

Suddenly Beth's low voice rang out through the room as 'Fall From Grace' began to take shape through her vocals.

I choose to be his confidant
And to keep him from the fire
I choose to be quietly discreet
If that is his desire
I touch with gossamer wings
To be quiet around you
There is so much going on
You could easily

Wake up with a stranger
It's not something you plan
One night in a world of pain
And you finally understand
Not all the king's horses, not all the king's men
Could put it back together


The crowd went wild with Beth's version of the song. Her voice flew out over the crowd and engulfed them in its richness. The woman standing in the middle of the stage was now officially lost in the music as it filled her soul and tumbled from her lips.

You say you wouldn't do this for very long
The applause from it all is so defining
Well it bounces off the wall at you
When the miracle is happening
High priestess...she's the keeper of the peace in this

Twice as much, intensified
What people will do
To get...this...high

It's not something you plan
One night in a world of pain
And you finally understand
Not all the king's horses, not all the king's men
Could put it back together


The song turned around for a quick guitar solo by Gary after which the song suddenly switched gears for the bridge.

And now alone in my room
As it all begins again
Was I so wrong
Why am I always so intense
In this same place I sit
The same place as before
Well I came all the way here
Just to watch you walk out that door

I didn't ask when you shook your head
I always accepted what you said
As the truth and the truth only
Well it's not enough that you depend on me
And it's not enough that you say you love me
It's not enough to just save face
Because sometimes
You just fall from grace

Sometimes
You just fall from grace


Again Gary's guitar rang out as he took another solo and the song started to get loud with an almost out of control feel. Beth's voice joined the guitar as the final words were sung.

Maybe I am calmer now
Maybe things are fine
Maybe I made the whole thing up
Maybe it isn't a lie
Maybe the reason I say these things
Is to bring you back alive
Maybe I fought this long and this hard
Just to make sure you survive


The song ended almost abruptly and caught everyone in the room unaware. There was a split second of silence and then the crowd erupted in a deafening roar. Beth staggered backwards from the force of energy that poured from the people cheering for her. She smiled and bowed as a VJ threw the program to commercial.

Sabrina smiled as she moved to the stage to take Beth's place in the front. The floor director was standing to the side of the stage ready to give Sabrina time counts for the broadcast. The man held a dry erase board in his hand so he could give Sabrina cues. The board right now read 11:45pm as he started to give VJ Damien a countdown from commercial. A simple introduction was all Sabrina had wanted, "Here she is, Sabrina Sanders."

Sabrina cued Danny who started to play a different song then was played in sound check. The look on the floor director's face was priceless. Frantically talking into his headset and throwing glances at the woman onstage was the icing on the cake for Sabrina. She knew that she and her band were sending out a musical 'Bring it on' to Green Day.

"We're going 'old school' tonight, how about a little Derringer." With those words Sabrina began to sing 'Papa Don't Preach' and threw down, stomped on, and decimated the gauntlet.

A quick glance at the dry erase board showed a time of 11:50 and the words, 'No break until 12:15'. Sabrina stepped up to the mic to call out the next song. "You need to pull your partner close and you'd better dance to the last slow song of 2006." She turned toward the VIP area "You women better get up here with your band men and cuddle up as best you can," Sabrina said with a smile as the wives of her band members came up to hug on and stand with their mate. "Michael, you better get your ass up here to be with your woman. Let's play 'Wonderful Tonight' boys, featuring Bobby on vocals." The band took their cue and with a quick count off, Beth and Gary started the harmony guitar parts.

The song played through with Sabrina singing harmony as she watched the couples dancing to one of the most celebrated 'couples song' ever written. She looked into the VIP section and saw Tre dancing with Jill. She blinked with a start when the bridge began. Sabrina just stared at Tre as she sang the bridge to him not unlike the events of exactly one year ago.

Tre had Jill's back to Sabrina and her head was tucked on his shoulder. Jill was blissfully unaware that instead of singing the lyrics to her, he was in reality singing them back to the woman on stage.

I feel wonderful
Because I see the love light in your eyes
And the wonder of it all
Is that you just don't realize
How much I love you