It Can Only Get Better

old memories, and some new ones

*Saturday night*
"Do I look okay? Is my hair alright? Are my clothes okay?" Mike was running around like a headless chicken all day, but it was worse now. He was meeting Lisa in an hour, and was really nervous, well I thought it was funny.

"Mike, she's seen both of us look like shit, you like fine. Seriously." I smiled. He ran up the stairs to change his shirt for the fourth time in ten minutes. Came back down with a red shirt on with a black t-shirt under it.

I looked at him, "Too casual?" he asked and without waiting for an answer ran upstairs again. I followed him up to his room.

"Wow, it's almost as messy as my room." He looked at me then went back to his closet. "Here, try this." I said handing him a nice shirt and picked out a tie. After he put on the shirt, I put his tie on him, well everyone knows how useless men are.

"Shit, it's seven thirty, I gotta go. Joey'll be over soon, and I'll be home by twelve. Okay?" he asked lacing up his shoes.

"Dad, don't worry about me. I'll be absolutely fine. And stay out all night for all I care. Have fun." I winked at him. He looked at me,

"Now you behave yourself tonight. Okay." I looked at him,

"I should be saying that to you." I smiled and kissed his cheek.

"Now go, you don't want to be late." And he left. I ran into my room and through all the crap that was on the floor into the closet and put one of Mike's bandanas on my head, to hide my stubble. It was fun being bald, but now I had stubble, it wasn't that nice, and I didn't want Joey to see it.

I was watching T.V. when Joey walked in, with Adie. She gave me a hug and Joey sat down. Ten minutes later she walked in with a plate of food and some drinks, "Here, you two are wasting away." She said putting the stuff on the coffee table. "Well, I'll be off now. I'll be back in the morning, so you two behave." She smiled and left, "make sure you guys eat something." She shouted while walking through the door. Joey smiled and looked over at me promiscuously. His green eyes shining.

"Joey, no." I said smiling, as he climbed over the sofa. He kissed me, and pulled off the bandana, and kissed my neck, before... there was a knock on the door.

"I'll go." Joey sighed, pulling himself up, as I put the bandana on again. I heard a commotion at the door so I got up to see who it was. I stood in the doorway of the living room, to hear what was going on.

"Listen mate, you ain't coming in when her dad isn't here. Come back some other time."

"I know what you said little man, but let me see my princess, I've known her a lot longer than you or this guy you call her dad, put together. Now let me in." I recognised the voice from somewhere.

"I don't care who you say you are, or who you say you know. You aren't coming into this house while Mike is out. It's his house and he says who comes in and who doesn't."

"I don't give a shit, now let me in you little brat." Came the man's voice, which was a little raised.

"NO, you ain't getting in. Soph, call dad."

"What, you gonna call Mikie? Sophie baby, you here?" the voice was getting closer to the living room. I ran out of the living room, into the adjoining room, out another door and up the back stairs. I ran into my bedroom lifted my mobile and walked into the wardrobe and shut the door.

"Hello, Billie. Can you come over quick, please." I said quietly when Billie answered.

"Hello, Sophie, is everything okay?"

I wiped the tears from my eyes, "Yeah, just come over as quick as you can."

"Okay, I'll be there in a sec. whatever it is Soph, don't worry."

*meanwhile, downstairs*
I followed the man into the living room, "Listen dude. Get out now, or I'll call the cops." He looked around at me, "Kid, I found out last week, that my closest friend, his wife, and one of his daughters were all killed in a car wreck a year ago, and that his other daughter was living in America. I got on the first flight over here to see her, to give her my condolences and to talk to her, and now some punk ass Green Day wannabe is telling me I can't see her." Now I was getting angry.

"I ain't some 'punk ass Green Day wannabe' as you put it. I am Sophie's boyfriend, and practically her dad's nephew. And if you must know, her parents, and sister, Cassi, died one year, three months, and fifteen days ago. I know, because I was there for her on the anniversary. If you were such a close friend, why you only finding out now?" I said through gritted teeth. He walked closer and lifted his hand. I closed my eyes, waiting for the inevitable, when dad ran through the door.

"Get your fucking hands off my son." He yelled running over and pushing the guy off me.

"Oh, like father, like son. Do you make him dress like that Billie Joe asshole, form Green Day or does he do it by his own will?" he said pushing dad. Dad swung a punch and hit the guy's chin, baring in mind that the guy was over six foot tall. He swung for dad and hit his nose. Tré ran through the door and jumped onto the guy's back, pulling him off dad and throwing him into a chair.

"Fuck it in you bastard and don't fucking move." Tré yelled at him. Dad turned to me holding his nose,

"Where's Soph, she sounded upset when she phoned." I looked around the living room,

"I don't know, she was in here when I went to answer the door." Dad looked around,

"Let's try to find her, quick. Tré watch him." He said as we left the room. I followed dad up the stairs,

"You try her room, I'll try Mike's." he said, I nodded and walked into her room and looked around, I walked over to the closet and opened it to find Sophie curled in a ball against the wall.

"Dad, I found her, in here." I yelled and ran in towards her. "Sophie, what's wrong? Please tell me." I said, kneeling down in front of her. She looked up at me with a tear stained face,

"It's him. I may not remember his face anymore, but I'll never forget his voice as long as I live." Billie walked in,

"We have to phone Mike, and the cops."

I looked up at him. "Not Mike, please. Don't disturb him. He's out with Lisa. We can tell him in the morning."

Billie looked at me and then knelt down, "Sophie, we have to phone him, and the cops so we can get rid of the bastard downstairs." I nodded and he helped me up.

"Okay, if we absolutely have to."

Everything was going great. I have to say that Lisa looked absolutely gorgeous tonight. The food was great, the mood was great, the conversation was great, everything was just absolutely perfect.

*ha ha your dea... *

"Sorry, it's Sophie, I have to take this." I apologized to Lisa.

"No, it's fine." She smiled at me.

"Hello."

"Yeah Mike, its Billie."

"Billie? Where's Sophie? Is everything okay?"

"No, well, just get home as soon as you can mate." And he hung up.

I turned back to Lisa, "I'm really sorry, but I have to get home quick. I had a great time tonight, can I call you later?" I smiled, she frowned a little but nodded.

"I understand, go. I'll be fine, and give me a call when everything is okay." She smiled and kissed my cheek. Well, not the end to the night that I was hoping for but... Sophie comes first at this moment in time.

I walked over to the desk, I handed the guy there two hundred dollars "that's for that table," I said pointing to the table, "and whatever else she orders. If it comes to over that, gimme a call." And then I left, jumping into my car and speeding home.

I ran through the door and into the living room. "Tré? Billie? What are you two doing here? And who's this guy?" I asked. Billie stood up,

"Mike, dude, come into the kitchen." He said walking towards me. He was scaring me now. I walked into the kitchen to see Joey and Sophie sitting at the table, Sophie jumped up and ran up to me.

"Sophie, what is it?" I asked. "It's him." She said and began crying into my shirt. "I remember his voice, I'll never forget his voice. He's the only person that ever called me princess, and that was when he was... " she broke down.

"That fucking bastard has the fucking nerve to be sitting in my fucking living room after doing that to my daughter." The rage was now building up inside me, and Billie could see it.

"Mike, dude, calm down. The cops are on their way. And he attacked Joey to get in so he ain't leaving until he's in handcuffs."

I looked Billie, straight in the eyes, "Did he do that to you?" he nodded. The cops busted through the door, and ran in. I sat Sophie down and turned to the two guys standing in the kitchen.

"We've had a complaint, that someone has been assaulted." I looked at the short plump man that was talking,

"Well, 6 years ago, my daughter was raped, and the man that did it forced his way in here tonight, and assaulted my friend and his son." I said quite calmly. Sophie began to sob harder, cuddling into Joey.

"Right," the other one said, "how about we sit down and start from the beginning."

So we did, we told them everything from Sophie's parent's dying, to me adopting her, to us finding out about what happened to her, to her stint in hospital, to what happened tonight.