It Can Only Get Better

"dad, what's bi?"

"They did... And he did... And that's why... " I had just told Joey about my little 'conversation' with Mike, and he was laughing his ass off. He's fallen off the sofa twice already, and wasn't making much sense. "Joey, calm down babe," I said as I helped him up again. Suddenly his face changed from hysterical laughter to a wide grin, "we should so do that." He said as he sat staring at me. "do you really want to do the same thing as your dad did?" I smiled as Billie walked in. "What did I do now?" he asked sitting down opposite us, I looked to Joey, then to Billie. "Well, you're probably going to hate dad for telling me, but he let slip about your back of the class antics in Adrite's sex ed. Class." I smiled and Joey began to laugh again. Billie's face moved from confusion, to thought, to a little grin, "so you guy's have Adrite. Does he remember us then?" he asked, grinning. "Well, he was doing the register and, he said, 'ah shit this is way too familiar, Armstrong and Pritchard in the same class, then was amazed to find out that Tré had kids." Joey answered. "Oh, so he does. Oh, and Soph, when you see Mike, tell him if he wants an encore, he knows where to find me." He smiled and left the room again, which sent Joey into hysterics again, "I knew the guys were close, but this is too funny. I'm going to tell Jakob that dad's gay." He said standing up, I grabbed his arm, "hunny, if you're going to tell anyone anything, get the facts right. Billie isn't gay, he's bi, and dad and Tré were just experimenting with a friend. It's completely natural thing to do." I smiled at him as he laughed and left the room shaking his head.

*ha ha you're dead, and I'm so hap... "*
"Hello, Soph what's up? Are you okay?"
"Hey dad, can I stay at Joey's tonight?"
"Yeah sure, just make sure you get up in time to go to school, I don't want a truancy call in the morning, okay?"
"Yeah dad, I promise."
"Right I'll collect you at three thirty, same as today. Now put Billie on please."
"Okay, here he is, love you." Sophie handed the phone to Billie, who had just walked in again.
"Love you too."
"Awh, I love you too Mikey dude." Came Billie's voice.
"Oh hey Bill. Is it okay for Soph to stay at yours tonight?"
"Yeah, no prob dude."
"Just make sure that she goes to school, I don't want her dropping out like you, okay?" Billie just laughed down the phone, and didn't reply so I hung up.

I waited a few minutes, and then dialed Lisa's number. She answered after the third ring,
"Hello, Dr. Covach speaking." God her voice was so sexy.
"Hi Lisa, its Mike here."
"Oh, hey Mike. How are you and Sophie?"
"We're fine, both of us. Sorry I haven't called you in a while. Just a lot has been going on. So how are you?"
"Oh, fine, kept busy. You know, lives to save and all that." She laughed
"Yeah, well I had a great time on Saturday night, I'm sorry it had to be cut short, but I was wondering if you're free for a drink or something?"
"Well, I'm at work at the minute, but I get off in an hour"
"Okay, I'll pick you up at the hospital in an hour."
"Sure Mike, I'll have to go, I'm being paged, but I'll see you later then."
"Kay, bye Lisa." She hung up the phone. 'I have a date' I sang to myself and went to get changed.

"Dad, dad." Jakob came running down into the living room and jumped onto the sofa beside Billie and Adie, I laughed as Jakob nearly spilled Billie's root beer. "What is it little man?" Billie asked. "Dad, what's bi?" Billie smiled, "Bi, you mean bisexual?" Jakob shrugged and nodded, "Well, that means when a person is attracted to both guys and girls." His face fell, "Joey said that you're bi, does that mean you don't love mommy any more?" Billie laughed, I smiled over at him, waiting for how he was going to explain this to his 9 year old son, "well Jakob, I may be attracted, or have been in the past, to guys and girls, but your mom is the only lady I ever have or ever will love. So you don't need to worry about me running off with some random dude, okay?" Jakob nodded. "Now, off to bed little man." Billie added ruffling Jakob's hair. "I'll come up to tuck you in later." Jakob gave his dad and mom a hug, then me, and then passed Joey as he left to go get ready for bed. Joey sat down beside me and Billie stared at him, "What?" Billie cocked an eyebrow, "you know what, stop filling your little brothers' head with mindless crap... You know that's my job." He smirked and finished his drink as Adie giggled to herself. After a few minutes of silence I stood up, "Well, I'm off to bed." I said giving Billie and Adie a hug and leaving the room, soon to be followed by Joey five minutes later. "Can you believe my dad?" he said when he walked into the bedroom, "what did he do now?" I smiled, "he said that there was to be no 'funny business' under his roof, or this would be the last night you sleep over, and then gave me the 'safe sex' talk. Hypocritical or what?" I smiled again and climbed into the bed. I cuddled into Joey and was asleep within a minute.

I woke up at 7am, and rolled over to see Joey sprawled out in the bed beside me. I stood up and opened the blinds, allowing the sun flow into the room. Then I went for a shower and got changed. As I walked into the room again, Joey was sitting up in the bed, talking to himself. "What are you doing here?" he asked through a yawn, I raised an eyebrow, "you don't remember? I stayed the night, and what a night." I said smiling, walking over and kissed him. I stepped back and looked at his face, which was expressionless. "You mean... Did we... You know?" I smiled again, "Na, I'm just messing with your head, nothing happened. I'll let you wake up properly and I'll see you downstairs in five. Okay?" I asked, he nodded and I left the room.

"Good morning all." I said cheerily, as I walked into the kitchen to the smell of coffee and bacon. "Mmh." Grunted Billie, I looked over at him, "he's not a morning person." Adie laughed as she placed some food down in front of me, "but he would be if he went to bed at a decent hour." She said, with her voice raised a little more, and laughed, "Yeah, I noticed it takes Joey a while for his brain to switch on after waking up." I smiled, as he walked into the room, and we left for school.

"What do you mean you don't have your homework in?" Ms. Dunlop shouted at Joey, a small smile formed on his face, "I got caught up with another homework and forgot that I hadn't finished plate tectonics." He said glancing over at me, "does anyone else want to admit to not having the work done?" Ms. Dunlop asked. I slowly raised my hand, "well, I do have it done, it's just I was staying at a friends house last night and I forgot my homework at home." I smiled looking over at Joey and winking. "Anyone else? No, okay then, both of you, detention, this afternoon." She smiled, and got on with the rest of the lesson, sadistic bitch. Shit detention again, oh well, could be worse, I still have to tell dad. I'm not really much good at the whole school thing, am I?

*Lunchtime*
ring, ring
"Hello, you've reached Mike Dirnt, leave a message and I'll get back to yo... Billie get the fuck away from my... Beep" I giggled at dad's message.
"Hi dad, it's Soph, could you collect me at 4:30 instead, I sort of got a detention and... I'll tell you about it later. See you later, love you." And I hung up, looked over at Joey, "you know what this means don't you?" I asked, he shook his head, "I'm going to be fucking grounded!" he looked up at me, "Oh, really? Mom'll probably try to, but I can play the dad card and blame him." He smirked. I slapped his arm and we walked off towards, well he was walking me to French, and he had a free period, so who knows what he was doing.

"Bonjour," Madame Millie said as she walked into the room, she looked around to see who was there and frowned seeing an empty chair, her face furrowed with thought for a few minutes, "ou est Sophie Pritchard?" she asked in her thick French accent, everyone just shrugged, "isn't Sophie that bald girl, who just hangs around with that Armstrong kid?" Ciara asked her friend Dave. Dave stopped carving the table and put his pocket knife away, then he just shrugged, "suppose so." He said, Madame Millie was still asking where Sophie was, I slowly raised my arm, I don't know why I'm defending her but, oh well, "oui, Ciara?" she looked over at me, "Madame, I think she was felling ill at lunch and she might be a bit late," Madame frowned at me, "en français si vous plait." She said, and I said about the only French sentence I know, "je ne comprends pas, Madame." She turned and walked away. Dave looked over at me, "you do realize that if she gets caught dipping you'll be for it too, for covering for her." I nodded, it just felt like I should do it and it felt alright.

*meanwhile*
"Joey, I thought you were taking me to French." I giggled as Joey pulled me up onto the roof of the stores, "Well, I just thought this would be more fun." He smiled, "and if we get caught, and given another detention, I'll be grounded for sure, how much fun will that be?" I said again. He frowned and sat up against the wall, "if you want to go, just go. I just wanted a little time, just you and me, no people and no parents walking in." he looked really upset, I crawled over towards him, "Joey, you know I want to stay here with you, it's just, I don't want to disappoint dad, you know, he wants me to do well at school, and Billie wants you to do well too." I smiled and kissed his cheek, he nodded and smiled a little. Then he reached into his pocket and pulled out something I wasn't expecting. "Joey, how long have you... How have I not noticed? I would have smelt it on your breath." I was slightly shocked as Joey pulled out a packet of cigarettes and lit one up. He took a drag and looked at me, "it's only been a few months, it helps with stress." He looked embarrassed and upset, "well how long?" I shouted, "sshhh, remember we're on the roof of the gym Soph, since they told me that you might not make it." Joey looked down, he couldn't look at me in the eyes, "You're blaming this on me?" I said, "no, no. I'm not. It's just I was so worried, and scared, and... " I looked at him, "and thought you'd start slowly killing yourself." I said and walked over towards the edge, "I'm going to class, I'll see you later." I gave him a disappointed look, climbed off the roof, and walked off towards French class, a little late, but I'll be there.