It Can Only Get Better

I really do love you

I'm lying here, have been for the past five hours, can't fucking sleep. I've actually done all my homework for the whole week, yeah, I'm that bored. If I could just get him off my mind, I'd be able to sleep.

Right fuck this, I'm gonna sort this out. I got out of bed and pulled on a pair of tracksuit bottoms and a huge sweater, and slipped on my converse. I slowly opened my door, and quietly stepped into the hall, why does Mike's room have to be directly opposite mine?

I slowly crept down the stairs, checking the living room and kitchen for life. I lifted my key from the dresser and went out through the back door. Mike will be so pissed if he finds out I'm sneaking out.

I made it to Joey's in about five minutes. I sneaked round to the side of the house, to where his bedroom is. I climbed the ladder thing for the climber plants, up to his balcony. Where I acquired all these skills, I have no idea, but hey, they're handy.

I knocked gently on the glass door, damn him being a heavy sleeper. I tried the door, and it was open. How stupid can this boy get? His dad's famous, and they've had problems with stalkers and crazed fans and stuff, and he leaves the door to his room open.

I walked over to his bed and sat down on the edge. I reached over and turned on the bedside lamp.
"Joey, wake up." I whispered into his ear,
"Mmh, Soph." he said but didn't wake up.
"Joey." I said, a little louder, and he woke with a start and a smile,
"I was dreaming about you." He whispered and ran his hand behind my neck to pull me in for a kiss. Just as our lips were about to meet, I turned my head, so he kissed my cheek instead.

He looked hurt, I put my finger on his lips.
"Listen Joey, I need to talk to you. I know it's early, but I can't sleep until I talk to you." He looked me in the eyes, which made me pause,
"Sophie baby, what is it? If it's the smoking, me and dad had a chat and we're gonna quit, both of us, together." I smiled,
"That's good, but that isn't what I wanted to talk about, Joey." I paused and looked at him,
"I realized something today, when we were arguing, and I just need to let you know, so that I can go home and sleep. I've been up for hours just thinking, and... "

His face had an expression of confusion on it,
"Joey, you, I don't know. I guess I was just upset at you. I thought you were better than smoking. But when we were arguing it hit me."

"Soph, you're scaring me a little now, what is it?" he whispered taking my hand. I looked him straight in the eyes, in those lovely, deep green eyes, so full of emotion,
"Joey, I realized that I've lost too many people cause of smoking, and I don't want to lose the guy I love because of it too." he smiled.

"Do you mean that?" he asked. My gaze didn't falter,
"Of course I mean it, I'm in love with you Joey." He looked down, great. He doesn't feel the same way, and I've just made a complete ass of myself.

I made to stand up, to leave, when he gripped my hand tighter and pulled me down to sit opposite him again. He lifted my chin, and looked me in the eyes, "Sophie, I love you too. I've wanted to tell you for a few weeks, I just didn't know how to let you know." I smiled, we had told each other that we loved the other before, but it wasn't the 'I love you' moment, were you know it in your heart, it was the new relationship love. This was for real.

My smile widened. "Joseph Marciano Armstrong, I love you." I said kissing him, "and I love you too Sophie Ella Dirnt." He said smirking, kissing me again.

"Shit, it's almost six o'clock, I've been here nearly an hour." I smiled,
"Joey, I have to go home, before Mike realizes I sneaked out." I kissed him again, then broke away,
"I gotta go," I smiled,
"Ooh, just when it was getting good." He frowned,
"I'll see you at the bus, in like an hour and a half. Bye" I said blowing him a kiss.

I climbed down from the balcony and ran home. I silently made it to my room, I saw a light shining under the door, 'that's odd, I don't remember leaving a light on' I thought to myself, and opened the door, to find Mike sitting on the sofa facing my bed. In one word... Shit.

He was sleeping so I pulled off the clothes I had on, I was wearing my pj's under them, and climbed into bed. I'll deal with whatever he says when I wake up, right now, I'm knackered. I yawned and was out as soon as my head hit the pillow, but I went to sleep with a smile on my face and love in my heart.

I woke up, feeling like crap... Mainly due to the fact that I'd only had about an hour sleep.
"Nice of you to join us young lady." I jumped a little, I forgot that Mike fell asleep in my room.
"I'm sorry dad." I said getting out of bed, I walked over to him and gave him a hug,
"I talked to Joey last night, and he feels the same way." I smiled.
"Well, that's awesome. So you guys are okay then?" I nodded.
"Did he say how Billie took to the whole smoking thing?" I shook my head.
"Okay then, I'll leave you to get ready for school." I smiled and went to get a shower.

"Dad, I'm getting the bus to school today, but can you pick me up at 4:30." I asked as I spiked up my hair a little, in front of the mirror in the kitchen.
"Yeah, sure." Mike yelled,
"Okay I'm off." I said, kissing his cheek, and leaving.
"Don't forget to eat something." Mike yelled as I slammed the door.

Well, on the plus side, everything's good with Joey again, he's quitting smoking, I haven't gotten into trouble today, and neither has he, but on the minus side, I have detention this afternoon cause of yesterday. Joey walked me to the detention room and kissed me before I went in and he, for once, didn't. I walked in and looked around, there was only one other person in there, so I took the seat beside her. She looked a little uncomfortable, and familiar.

French! That's where I know her from, she's in my French class. That's been bugging me for ten minutes. I leant over to her,
"First time eh?" I asked. She just nodded,
"What you in for then?" I asked. She looked at the teacher, who was asleep might I add, and then to me.
"I'm actually in here because of you." She smirked.
"Okay, I'm a little confused now. How are you in here because of me?" I asked, "Well, yesterday, after lunch, you were late for French, and I figured that I'd be nice and cover for you. So if you were only a few minutes late, it'd be fine, but you were 25 minutes late, and I got detention for covering for you." She smiled.

"Well, it was nice of you, and I apologize for getting you thrown in here. I'm Sophie, by the way." I said holding out my hand,
"Ciara, it's nice to meet you" she said shaking my hand and smiling. We talked for the rest of the time, she was a nice girl, friendly. She was very interested in my stint in hospital, wants to be a doctor apparently.

"Okay, you two can go, and try not to get any more detentions." The teacher said. So we stood up and left together, once outside I saw Mike's car, said good bye to Ciara and walked over towards it, surprised to see Lisa sitting in the passenger seat. Mike had the windows open,
"Hey Soph, do you want to go for coffee?" he asked as I passed his window. I nodded, and looked over at Ciara.
"Do you mind if I ask a friend?" I asked, Mike shook his head, and I ran over to Ciara, she had mentioned being a Green Day fan.

"Hey, I'm going to go get some coffee with my dad and his girlfriend, do you want to come?" I asked her,
"I don't know, I'm supposed to wait here for my mom." She said,
"You can phone her if you want, tell her my dad will leave you home." I replied,
"I don't want to be any trouble." She said,
"Dad's girlfriend is a doctor," I smiled,
"Really?" she asked, I nodded,
"Okay then, if it's okay with them." I smiled, and pulled her towards the car.

I winked at dad as I walked towards the car, I opened the door for Ciara, and she climbed in. I climbed in after her and shut the door. A loud scream filled the car, "Oh my god, you're Mike Dirnt." She yelled, we all smiled,
"I love having this effect on your friends Soph." Mike smiled and started to drive off, as Lisa and I started to laugh.

*

"Why didn't you tell me your dad was Mike Dirnt?" Ciara said as we got out of the car, I was still laughing a little. I shrugged a little,
"I thought I'd let you find out for yourself." I smiled.
"Now can you please stop ogling my dad? It's creepy. Oh, and I think I might warn you now though, were meeting Billie and Tré, in Starbucks." She squealed again.
"Oh my god, this is so great. Do I look okay?" she asked. I looked at her,
"You look fine, don't get all worked up over it, they are normal people." I smiled.

We walked into starbucks and she froze, I pulled her over to the booth and sat down.
"Guy's this is Ciara, she tried to save my ass in French, but ended up with a detention herself." I smiled, she only managed a half smile,
"Oh, she's a huge fan by the way." I added. She blushed a little and sat down beside me but didn't talk at all.

"Leave it to me" Tré said as he walked over to the counter and came back with three cups, handed one to me, one to Ciara and kept one for himself, and smiled a really wide grin. I sat mine in front of me and just about stopped Ciara talking a sip,
"Now, I'm gonna warn you before you take a drink of that, it's possibly 82% sugar, and 18% caffeine. You're gonna be bouncing off the walls, and I just think I should warn you." I smiled, the memories of the first time I had an orange mocha frappuccino came flooding back, and the memories of the downer the next day.

Well, she didn't quite reach bouncing off the walls status, with my help, but she rally came out of her shell, wasn't as shy around the guys.

*

"Joseph. Dinner." Jebus I hate it when she calls me Joseph, yeah it is my real name, but Joey is so much better.
"Mom, it's Joey, please." I smiled
"I know hunny, I'm just trying to annoy you, just like when I call your father Jillie Boe." She smiled, ruffled my hair and I sat down.
"Jillie Boe, Dinner." She yelled smiling at me, as dad walked in with a sour face, but kissed mom, smiled and sat down.
"Where did you get that name anyway?" I asked,
"Well, sometimes I get bored, and I found this really funny made up story about Green Day on the net, and the girl in it pissed off Billie Joe by calling him Jillie Boe, and I think it's funny so... " she smiled at me and dad, and Jakob.

"So, how are things with you and Sophie?" dad asked, after we finished dinner. "Great, I told her about, you know, and we're back to normal again." I smiled, god I feel happy, dad stood up and gestured that I followed him to the living room, so I did. He turned the TV on and put the volume up, then looked to make sure mom wasn't coming in. Then he turned to me,
"Joey, be completely honest with me, did you sleep with her?" I looked at him shocked,
"Dad, how can you say that? Of course I didn't, I told you before that I haven't and I didn't see her, after we fought until school today." I said, how could he not trust me,
"Oh yeah? Joey, I've been an insomniac since your brother was born, and it may have gotten better, but it didn't go away completely. I'll ask you again, have you slept with Sophie?" I stood up,
"Dad, I have not slept with Sophie, how many times do I have to tell you that!" I yelled.

"Joey, okay, I believe you. I'm only trying to protect you." He said and sat me down again.
"What was Sophie doing here last night, bare in mind that I hate liars Joey?" Shit, he knew,
"Truthfully, she couldn't sleep and needed to tell me something that was on her mind, so that she would be able to sleep." I said, he didn't believe me, my own father doesn't trust me, and my judgement. I know not to do anything until both of us are ready, and legal and still, use contraceptives, he has taught me that much.

"Joey, I'll give you one more chance, and then I'm telling your mom that Sophie was over here last night without us knowing." I smiled at him,
"Dad, I am telling the truth, she woke me up at half four, five, and told me that... " no I can't do this,
"You know what dad, if you had a bit of trust and faith in me, I'd be able to tell you, but right now, I'm to fucking pissed off at you, that I'm not going to. Tell mom, see if I care." I said and walked up to my room.

There was a knock on the door,
"Dad, if that's you, piss off." I yelled, and rolled over on the bed with tears rolling down my cheeks, I hate fighting with dad, but why doesn't he trust me? The door opened slowly, and mom walked in and sat beside me. She didn't look mad, but dad obviously told her, cause she's here.
"Hey baby, are you okay?" she smiled, I nodded,
"Yeah, I'm fine." She nodded,
"Look," she sighed,
"I know why you and Sophie fought, I know that you and Billie are quitting smoking together, I know that Sophie was here last night and I know that you and your dad are fighting," she smiled,
"I'm the only woman in this house, I know everything." She whispered, and I smiled.
"Billie didn't tell me about Sophie, I knew. I always check on you guys, but last night when I went to check on you I heard voices, now tell me what Sophie said, so I can tell Billie before he drives himself mad, or over to Mike's to ask her." She smiled,
"Oh mom, it is so much easier to tell you than him, even though you're a girl," she smiled a little,
"Mom, the thing that kept Soph from sleeping, the thing that she had to come over and tell me at five in the morning, the thing that I'm too pissed off to tell dad, is that she loves me. She said that it hit her when we were arguing after school yesterday, and had to tell me." I smiled, it felt good to tell someone, she looked at me,
"And do you love her?" she asked me, I nodded
"I have for about a month or so, but didn't know how to tell her without feeling stupid, and then last night, we told each other." I paused,
"That is all that happened mom, I swear, you can tell dad to have a little more trust in me." I added, she nodded, kissed the top of my head, smiled and left.

There was another knock at the door, and dad walked in, he walked over and sat down beside me.
"Look, kiddo, I do trust you." He started,
"I just worry, that's all. You're my first kid, and I need assurance that I haven't fucked you up." He smiled, I didn't,
"Dad, you haven't fucked me up. I am my own person, as well as your son. Now please leave, I have homework to do." I said with a little malice in my voice, and walked over to the desk. He stood up,
"Look Joey, I'm sorry, for everything, and for one thing I'm dying for a fag, but I ain't gonna, for you." He smiled again. I opened the drawer, lifted out the half pack of cigarettes I had in there and threw them at him.
"We all know you won't stick to it, so why bother fucking trying." I spat at him. He looked really hurt,
"Joey, I... " I looked at him,
"Dad, I'm giving up for Soph, cause I love her, you can do whatever the fuck you like, now leave." He was about to say something, but didn't, he just turned and left the room, with a really sad face.

I know I'm being a complete bastard to him, but what else can I do, for one thing, why would he think that I'd keep anything for him. I mean, he is my dad.