It Can Only Get Better

"Joey, I'm late"

Okay, so let me fill you in. My name is Sophie Dirnt. I'm Mike Dirnt's daughter and have been for well over 3 years. I am seventeen years old, and so is my gorgeous boyfriend, Joey Armstrong. I have the worst luck with my health and have been in and out of hospital more times than I can count in one hand, in the past three years alone, and that isn't good for someone of my age... apparently. But something good has come out of it, about six months ago, dad and my doctor, Lisa, got married in a wonderful little low key service, and I don't think he's been this happy in years. I have blue eyes and my black hair has finally grown to a nice length, since I shaved it off for major brain surgery. Joey and I have been going out now for just over three years and I'm still as in love with him as I was when we first started dating.

...

"Soph, get your skinny little ass down here and get ready for school." I heard dad shout through the intercom he had fitted in my room. I quickly wiped my mouth, cleaned my teeth, checked that I looked 'normal' and ran down the stairs.
"Dad, please leave my 'skinny little ass' out of the conversation this early in the morning." I smirked and lifted a slice of toast. I took a bite, but found it difficult to swallow, so I threw the rest in the bin when no-one was looking. What is wrong with me? I'm throwing up, can't eat... maybe I should talk to Lisa, but I'll wait a few days to see if it clears up, I don't want to worry her.
"Okay, I'm ready to go, who's taking me?" I asked, dad grabbed his keys and we walked out to the car.
"Did you eat?" he asked, I nodded, he looked at me disbelievingly but got into the car without saying anything.

"Okay Soph, I'll be at the studio when you get home from school, and Lisa's working late again, so you'll have to sort yourself out with some food, okay?" dad said as we pulled up to the high school, I nodded and opened the door but he pulled me back and kissed my forehead,
"Look after yourself Soph, and please eat... I saw what you did with the toast this morning, but I didn't want to say in front of Lisa." I nodded, and got out of the car.

*After school*
I left the building, pulling my satchel onto my shoulder and closing my jacket tighter around my body as the cold air hit me. Joey came running out after me,
"Hey. Soph!" he yelled, I stopped and waited for him to catch up. He was in such a good mood, smiling as always.
"Soph, what's wrong with you today? You're not yourself. You haven't eaten. You've barely said boo to me all day, and you've ignored any teacher that asked you something." He wrapped his strong arms around me and looked into my eyes,
"Please, tell me what it is," He said, his eyes not moving from mine. I looked away, the gaze becoming too much for me.
"Joey, I'm late," I said quietly, he smiled,
"Well, come on. Where d'you need to go...I'll drive you. Dad let me bor... " I shook my head,
"No Joey." I paused and looked into his eyes, as he did to me moments before,
"Joey... " I took a deep breath, "I'm late," I said, so he could understand. The smile left his face, as it registered.
"Oh... ahm... well, does this mean that... ahm..." he asked,
"I don't know. I need to get a test before I'll know for certain, but I can't look at food, I keep throwing up, and now... I'm late. I just don't know how I'll be able to get one, I mean, our faces are pretty well known, thanks to our dads, and I don't want him to find out through someone else, that there's even the possibility of it. I mean, I know you've told Billie, but dad doesn't know."

I sighed, this was too much for me. Tears started falling down my cheeks, "Joey, I...I just don't know what to do." I sobbed into his shoulder, he began to rub my back.
"If you want to be sure, I'll get you a test." I shook my head,
"Joey, that papz guy has been following you around like nothing normal these past few weeks, what's he gonna write when he sees you going into a drug store," I said looking up at Joey. "He's already wrote rumours about you cheating on me, that time you went to meet Jules for coffee, after her dad moved out." Joey kissed my forehead and ran his hand through my hair.
"If you want to be sure, I'll get one for you, I know where mom keeps one... just in case. Do you want to come round to mine?" he asked. I nodded slightly and he led me to Billie's car.

We walked into the house and quickly shut the door, I heard voices and froze.
"Joey, I can't do it here, not with your parents here," I said worriedly, tears forming in my eyes. He squeezed my hand.
"You go say hi, I'll go get it, and then we'll go. Okay?" he whispered and kissed me. I nodded, dried the tears and walked slowly towards the kitchen.

"Hi guys." I smiled to Adie, Billie, dad and Tré. Their conversation stopped, and they all smiled back.
"Did you eat today?" dad asked me.
"Yeah," I lied. He nodded his head disbelievingly.
"Where's Joe?" Adie asked.
"Upstairs, he has to get something and then we're gonna head off... ahm, dad, how long you staying here?" I asked quickly.
"Why?" he asked.
"Oh... ahm... cause I was gonna... ahm... cook dinner, and I was wondering what time you'll be home at," I lied, again. God I hate lying, especially to him.
"I'm staying here for another while and then I'm gonna meet Lisa for a coffee between her shifts, so shouldn't be later than six." He smiled, hoping perhaps that this meant that I was going to eat something. Just then Joey came walking into the kitchen, hands in his pockets.
"Hey guys, mom, I'm gonna head over to Sophie's, I'll be home in a while." He smiled softly as he took my hand in his,
"Dad, can I borrow the car again?" he asked quickly. Billie and Tré's conversation stopped and they looked over at us,
"Yeah, ahm... seven," Billie said, oblivious to what had been asked,
"I'll take that as a yes then dad." Joey smiled, and we left before he had a chance to figure out the question.