It Can Only Get Better

will it ever get better?

“Joey, help me.”

I ran through the house as quick as I could.

“Soph, what’s wrong?” I shouted, as I found her crippled in pain in the bathroom. I pulled her into an embrace as she sobbed.

Why can’t she just have a break from all this. She doesn’t need it. Why can’t she just be better? I thought to myself. Poor Soph has been having problems since I’ve known her. I just want her to have as normal a life as she can. I looked down and watched her body shaking in my arms.

“What is it darling?” I whispered.

She let out a sob, and grasped her tummy. “I think I’ve lost the baby.” She cried. I couldn’t believe it. I stood up, and helped her up. That’s when I saw the blood on the tiled floor. I looked away quickly, but turned Sophie so she couldn’t see it.

This can’t be good.

“Okay Sophie babe, lets get you down to the car.” I said, steadying my 3 month pregnant fiancée as I went. We slowly walked down the stairs and out into the car.

*

I ran into the hospital, sweat running down my forehead.

“Lisa! Are you here?” I shouted, “oh, thank god.” I yelled. Lisa came running over, worry thrown across her face.

“It’s Sophie, she’s in the car. She’s bleeding. Please, help her, I can’t lose her.” I cried. She looked at me, nodded then turned to face the desk.

“Grace, get me examination room 3 ready for an emergency ultrasound, and call Mike, he’ll want to be here.” She turned to me, and motioned for me to lead the way.

We ran up to the car, parked just a little way off, so it wasn’t blocking the road. Sophie’s complexion was the palest I’ve ever seen it, and I’ve seen her go through many a surgeries. Lisa leant down and took her pulse,
“Okay Sophie, we’re just going to help you into the hospital, Joey and I are here with you, and Mike’s on his way.” She smiled down at Soph.

I picked her up and carried her to the examination room. Looking around I noticed that it’s the same one that Sophie was in when they discovered the appendicitis.

I sat beside Sophie as Lisa lifted her shirt and squelched the gel on her tummy. Lifting the sonogram wand, and pressing it all around Sophie’s lower abdomen, we all watched the screen anxiously, but nothing could be seen, and no heart beat could be heard.

I couldn’t believe it. All the plans we had made have been snatched away so horribly. I leant down to kiss Sophie, but she turned her cheek,

“You can leave if you want Joe, it’s all my fault.” She said, barely audible. I was about to argue, when Mike burst into the room and looked from us to Lisa.

“I’m sorry Mike, she’s lost it.” Lisa said. Hearing it like that made it more real. I stood up, took one more look at Sophie and left.

‘where are you going? Get back in there.’ I though to myself, but I couldn’t do it. I left the hospital, got in my car and began to drive.

*Back in the hospital*
*Lisa’s pov*

I looked at the door close behind Joey, then back to Mike.

“Nothing could have stopped it Mike. It’s a simple miscarriage.” I said, my hand unconsciously drifting towards my own abdomen. He nodded and took the seat beside Sophie, trying to comfort her. I hooked her up to an IV to get some blood and fluids into her, and took some blood for tests.

Some people say that the worst part of this job is not being able to help everyone, but I think its worse not being able to help the ones who need it most. Sophie has had it so hard, everyone thought the pregnancy would do her good. Be a way of saying goodbye to her past. I remember the first time I met her, brought in for seizures, followed by heart attacks, brain surgery, finding out about her terrible ordeal, and about her losing her parents, appendicitis, and now this. If I could give anyone anything, in this whole world, it would be to give Sophie a better, hospital and ailment free future. It hurts Mike so much to see her ill, we thought that at last she would be happy.

“Grace, we have Sophie Dirnt in examination room 3. She needs moved to the ward, private room please.” I walked away from the front desk, back towards my devastated family.