It Can Only Get Better

mommy can make it better, can't she?

The door slammed.

“Joey?” Adrienne asked from the landing. I looked up, but didn’t move.

“Is he in?” I called back as mom came down the stairs. She sighed,

“No, but, can’t you two just get along? For my sake at least.” She smiled sadly. I shook my head again.

“It doesn’t matter now anyway. We lost the baby.” Tears forming in my eyes. I blinked them back, I haven’t cried infront of my mother in a long time.

“Oh, Joe, what happened?” she asked, mortified, as she put her arm around me and led me into the kitchen.

I shrugged. “I don’t know, she was okay, then she went to the bathroom, and five minutes later she called me. Blood everywhere. I took her to the hospital and Lisa confirmed it.” I paused and looked at my mother. “She doesn’t want to see me. She blames herself, and wont let me argue. She told me to leave.” The tears broke through their barrier.

“I’m so scared mom, I don’t want to lose her too.” I choked out.

“I know baby, I know.” Her calming voice seeped into me as she cradled me in her arms.

The door slammed again. I straightened up with a jolt and began wiping the tears away, as dad walked through into the kitchen. He stopped dead when he saw me.

“Daddy?” I said quietly, and walked towards him, he opened his arms and gave me a hug I hadn’t felt in months. When he found out about Sophie’s pregnancy, he told me to leave. Thankfully Mike let me stay at his.

“I’m so sorry Joey. I know I wasn’t happy about it, but I would never have wished this on anybody, let alone my own son. How is she?” dad said, finally releasing me. I shrugged, the tears started falling again.

“How about we all go down, together, and find out? How’s that Joey? Then we can be there for you too.” Mom said, coming over to meet us. I nodded slightly.

“Can we go in your car, mine’s got blood in it.” I said, remembering about the front seat. Dad nodded and we followed him outside.