It Can Only Get Better

new school, new beginning

I reached over and grabbed the camera off him, took a quick look, and started to laugh. Joey looked at me shocked, no scratch that, he looked terrified. "Joey, dude. It's okay. Why would I mind finding out that you were makin' out with Sophie?" I said sarcastically and paused, "now where is Sophie?"

I walked into the living room and everyone stopped talking and stared at me. I could feel my face going red. I have never been as embarrassed as I feel right now. "Sophie hunny, get your coat, we're heading" Mike said standing up. He handed the camera to Billie and we left.

"Mike," I said quietly when he started the car. "Yeah Sophie, what's up?" he replied. "Mike, are you angry at me?" I said looking down at my feet. "No darlin', I'm not angry at you. I have no reason to be angry at you." I looked up at him and he smiled. "Do you want me to be angry with you?" he laughed. "No, it's okay." I laughed too. The rest of the journey we sat in silence.

"Sophie, food." I yelled up the stairs. Right, shit. I'm gonna have to ask her. Maybe if I need to, Adie can talk to her. It might sound weird if I have to tell her, like a creepy uncle or something. Well, here we go... "Sophie, about earlier -gulp- I need to talk to you," she looked up from her sandwich, "Yeah, what's up?" "Well, I just need to know something. You're fourteen now, and I don't really know much about what, about how you got on with your parents and shit, but," fuck this is not going well at all, what am I going to do. "Well, I'm just going to come out with it." I turned around to face her, "did your mum ever, well, tell you about... well... ahmm... how do I put it... the birds and the bees?" I could feel my face going red. "About the what and the what" she asked, completely confused. 'Shit' "okay, I'll just say it then. Well did your mum ever talk to you about," I paused, "about sex, and boys, and shit like that?" I looked up at her. She had stopped eating, and was looking down at the table. Her shoulders were shaking. Fuck, I was so wrapped up in trying to ask her about sex, I forgot that I had never talked to her about her parents before. "Oh Sophie, its okay, don't cry." I walked over to her and gave her a hug. "I'm sorry. I didn't think." She jumped up and ran out of the kitchen.

I cleared up and gave her ten minutes. I walked slowly up to her room, and knocked on the door. "Come in." she said and I walked in and sat down on the bed beside her. "Sophie, listen. I'm sorry about earlier. I didn't mean to get you upset I was so wrapped up in trying to ask you stuff." I put my arm around her and she cuddled in to me. "Let me know if you need to talk. I just got scared, when I saw that picture of Joey kissing you, I thought the worst and," she cut me off "Mike, its okay. My mum had that talk with me, when I was twelve. It's just I miss her so much. I miss them all so much." She was still clinging to my shirt. "I won't lie and tell you I know how you feel, but believe me, if you ever need to talk, I'm here, no matter what." I looked down at her. She had really puffy eyes from crying, and she looked tired. "Do you want me to sit here with you until you fall asleep?" I felt her nod her head against my chest and after about twenty minutes, I tucked her into her bed and left the room quietly.

I was woken up by a gentle knock on my bedroom door, I opened my eyes and looked at the alarm clock, 3:58am, I went over and opened the door. "Sophie, what's up?" she looked like she had been crying again. "Can I sleep in here?" She asked shyly. "Yeah, sure. What's wrong?" I turned on the bedside lamp, and climbed onto the bed. "I had a nightmare. It sounds stupid cause I'm fourteen, but it was really bad. I kept dreaming about the day my family died. When I found out, and at the funeral." She started to cry again. I pulled her into a hug. "Hey, hey, sssh. It's okay. It's normal to miss your family, and its okay to cry. Now here, try to get some sleep." I kissed her forehead and a few minutes later, she was asleep.

Ring, ring, ring.
"Hey, you know who you're trying to call, but we couldn't be fucked to talk to you so leave your message after the beep." came Billie's voice.
"Hey Billie, its Mike. I won't be coming to practice today. Something came up that I have to see to. Talk to you later man, oh, and change your fucking message dude. It's really not cool, and you're gonna end up insulting someone. Bye."

"Morning Sophie. How did you sleep?" she walked in and sat at the table while I got her some breakfast. "Good thanks. Your bed is really comfortable." She smiled. It was nice to see her smile again. "Listen Soph, I was thinking. Do you want to go on a little vacation, back to Ireland? You could visit your friends and stuff. Maybe even visit the grave." I said. I didn't want to upset her again but I thought I should ask. "Sometimes when Billie is really upset about something, he goes and sits at his dad's grave and just talks to him. Says it helps him. What d'ya say?" I looked into her eyes, and waited for her to reply. A tear ran down her cheek, and she smiled. "That would be great Mike, thank you." She said hugging me, then she ran out of the room.

*At band practice*
"Hey guy's, I need some time off. I'm takin' Sophie to Ireland for a few days. You know, to visit her parent's grave and stuff. After that little outburst last week I think it might be good for her." I really didn't beat about the bush. "Yeah sure dude," Billie said handing me a beer, "I think we can delay the record for a few weeks. I need to write a few more songs to finish it off anyway." This was the best way to do practice, a few beers, play some play station, make up a few chords. I just couldn't help but think about how Sophie was feeling. "Okay, so I'm only gonna be gone for a week tops, but I just need to be there for Sophie, okay." I looked at Billie and Tré, both nodded. "Listen dude, if she ever needs someone to talk to, and you don't think you can answer her questions, I could always talk to her, remember, I'm in the same boat as her. I was only ten, I sort of know how she feels." Billie said, he was great like that, able to empathise with someone and make anyone feel better. "Yeah Billie, I'll be sure to let her know." Just then Tré walked in. "Hey guy's what's up." Billie explained that I was taking some time off and that he would have a week to do what he liked. "Oh, by the way. How are the lovebirds?" both me and Billie looked at him surprised. "What the fuck are you talkin' about dickwad?" Billie asked. Tré looked hurt, but laughed anyway, "Sophie and Joey, duh." "I haven't thought about that since that day at yours, but I think Soph really likes Joey, and I mean, if they want to get together, I have no problem with it."

"Yeah, me too dude. But let's leave it up to them. You know it might seem weird, like we're trying to push them together." I started to laugh. I couldn't help myself. "What is it? What I say?" I had forgotten to tell them about my talk with Sophie.
"Listen, guys. I have to tell you something. Remember I told you about me talking to Soph about her parents and shit, well I left a bit out, and Billie, you just reminded me," I laughed again. They were both looking at me like I was crazy. "Guy's I had to ask Soph if her mom had talked to her about sex. I mean how embarrassing." Tré and Billie looked at each other and burst out laughing. We spent the next few hours joking around and trying to come up with music for a new song Billie had made up called 'In what way' it was really good, except for Tré's drumming, he hadn't gotten it perfected yet, he was too stoned to do anything.

"Come on Sophie, time to go." Mike yelled. I grabbed my bag and left the room. I put my stuff in the trunk of Mike's BM and we were off. We didn't talk much in the airport, and when we got on the plane I fell asleep almost immediately. When I woke up I was lying in a hotel bed with the sun shining through the curtains. I got up and walked into the kitchenette. "So, sleepyhead, your finally up." I smiled in response, "the only other person I have ever seen sleep for nineteen hours straight, was Tré, and he was passed out for most of it." He smiled and put a plate of pancakes down in front of me. "Now eat, we have a big day ahead of us."

That morning me and Mike went and bought some flowers and visited my parents' and sister's grave. I just sat there, I didn't know what to say. I'm not a very religious person so I don't think talking to a piece of granite is gonna make me feel better. Then we went to visit my cousin and her family, my only living relatives. It was nice catching up with them, but it hurt me that they couldn't look me in the eye, and they wouldn't talk to me about my parents, when we were about to leave Toni, my cousin, came over and gave me a hug. Then she told me that I reminded them too much of my mother, and it was too hard for them to see me. Then she told Mike it would be best for him not to take me to see her and her family again. Mike told me later what she had said, but I didn't care. I saw the way they acted towards me, and I didn't ever want to see them again either. I had a new life in America now with Mike, and that was all that mattered. I didn't need them to help me grieve for my family, and it was getting easier for me now I knew my family weren't coming back and I knew Mike would always be there for me if I need him.

We flew back home a few days later, and I had to get ready for school. Mike had enrolled me in the same school as Joey, and I had done an aptitude test which placed me in the same grade as him, even though I should be the grade above. I ain't gonna lie. I ain't very smart, and I have to admit it, being in the same grade as Joey isn't gonna be too bad. I haven't really talked to him since the day we kissed, but I had thought about him a lot, and I think I really like him. I just don't know how to tell him.

"Sophie, wake up. Its 7:30, you have to get up for school." Mike said, shaking me gently. "Yeah, I'm awake." I said, my eyes still closed. "Come on Soph, up you get." He said, still shaking me. "Okay, I'm getting up look," I said as I swung my legs around the side of the bed and stretched. My dad used to say that you are only really up when your feet are touching the ground. "Good. Why don't you have a quick shower and come on down stairs. I have some pancakes on. They'll be ready in about ten minutes, okay?" and with that Mike left the room. I jumped in the shower, and when I got out, I pulled on a red tank top, black skirt, and my black converse, and ran downstairs, hair still dripping. "Here you go," Mike said putting some food on the table, "I'm going to run you to school today, okay. After that you can get the bus." He looked up from his coffee. "Yeah that's fine, and I'll be fine. Don't worry."

"Ah, Mr. Pritchard. Mr. Delrose will see you now." The secretary showed me and Sophie into the principal's office. He welcomed us to the school, gave Sophie her schedule and locker number and, after I signed a few things, she was shown to her next class.

Mr. Delrose knocked gently on the door, and opened it, pushing me in front of him. "Miss. Fitzpatrick, class. This is Sophie Pritchard, she is new to the school and to your class, please be as nice and courteous to her as you possibly can. Oh, and," He paused and looked around the room, "Ah, yes. Mister Armstrong, I'll forget about that detention tomorrow afternoon, if you would be as kind as to help Sophie out, show her round the school. Thank you." And with that Mr. Delrose left. Miss Fitzpatrick came over to me and told me to sit down in the seat beside 'Mister Armstrong' so I did as I was told and sat down. "So, Joey. Can I call you that or do I have to call you 'Mister Armstrong' as well." I smiled and he giggled, hiding it with a cough, Miss Fitzpatrick scowled at him and carried on with the lesson.

At recess, Joey showed me around a little and we got ready for our next class, I was in all of his classes except French. We were walking down to history, and Joey was telling me all about the teachers at the school, when he stopped walking. "What's wrong?" I asked, turning to face him. "I wasn't going to say anything to you, but then you turn up to school looking so hot, and well," he paused and reached over, grabbing my hand, "will you go out with me?" I was shocked. I liked him so much, I just didn't know he felt the same, "Of course I will" I said and I leaned in and pecked him on the lips.

"Well what do we have here? Looks like Armstrong has gotten himself a little girlfriend." A group of three tough looking guys had walked up to us. Joey pushed me behind him a little, "Yeah, and what of it McGinley?" he said, acting tough but shaking a little. "lookie here boys, Armstrong's trying to stand up for himself." The guy said to his friends. "Oh, how rude of me," he said looking at me, "I'm Jack, and this is Sam and Julius." He said pointing to the other two boys. "Now you're gonna have to learn not to speak like that to me, aren't you Armstrong." Jack said as Julius and Sam grabbed Joey and held his arms behind his back. Jack punched Joey in the stomach twice and I winced both times then, once I saw his fist collide with Joey's cheek, I couldn't take it anymore. I stepped over behind Jack and tapped him on the shoulder, as soon as he turned round my clenched fist collided with his nose, and the force sent him falling to the ground. My hand hurt like hell, but it was worth it. Julius and Sam let go of Joey and helped Jack up. His nose was bleeding heavily, "that is the stupidest thing you will ever do. You're for it now bitch. Watch your back." He spat at me, and with that he ran off down the hall with his buddies in toe. I went over to Joey and helped him up, "Are you okay?" I asked him, looking into his eyes, "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm sort of used to it now. I just want to know if you're okay. I mean, it was great what you did and all but your hand looks pretty messed up." He looked at me with a concerned look on his face. "yeah, I'm okay. Let's get to history, the bell's about to go."

"Okay class, I want you all to take out your note books and write a 500 word essay on what I've just been talking about. You have thirty minutes, go." Mr. Henderson said and walked behind his desk. I looked at Joey, "go on, you have to do it," he said, giving me a little nudge. I slowly walked up to Mr. Henderson's desk. He looked up, and then returned to his marking. "yes Miss Pritchard? How can I help you?" he put down his pen and looked at me. "Well, at recess, I, ahm, fell, and hurt my hand, and, ahm, I don't think I can write." I replied. "Well, ooh that looks nasty, why don't you go down to the nurse's office and get it checked out." He looked at my blank face, "Mr Armstrong show Miss Pritchard here to the nurse's office and wait with her until she's seen." Joey stood up and with that we left the classroom. We walked down to the nurse's office and she saw me immediately, Joey came in to keep me company.

"So darlin' what ails ya?" the nurse came in and sat down in front of me. "Well," I started as she lifted my hand closer for a better look, "I fell at recess and hurt my hand." She continued to look at my hand. She was barely moving it but it hurt like hell, "well that's interesting, cause about fifteen minutes ago I was treating that school bully Jack McGinley with a busted nose, and he gave the same excuse." She looked at me and smiled, "I think you're gonna have to go to the hospital to get that seen to," she put my arm in a sling and wrote a note excusing me and Joey from our afternoon classes. I had told her I wanted Joey to stay with me, so she didn't object. After she was done, she handed me the note and Joey and I headed back to history to collect our things. Joey got both our bags and I gave Mr Henderson the note, and we left. There was a taxi waiting to take us to the hospital, paid for by the school.

We made it back to school in time for last class, and after that we headed outside. Joey phoned his mom and asked if he could come over to mine after school, and she said yes so we jumped on the bus and fifteen minutes later we were walking in my front door. "Mike, I'm home. Joey's here too." I yelled and we walked into the kitchen. Mike was sitting at the table with a mug of coffee reading the paper. "Hey Soph, hey Joey. Oh, your mom called and said she'd pick you up at 8, so you can have dinner here. Is that okay?" "Yeah, thanks Mike." Joey replied as I went to the fridge to grab a couple of cokes. "Sophie, what the fuck happened to your arm!" I turned around and looked at Mike, "you better sit down," I said to him. "I am fucking sitting down. Now what the fuck happened your arm." I walked over to the table and sat down beside Joey, "Well, there were these three bullies picking on Joey, one of them was punching him, and I flipped. I think I might have broken his nose." I said, and smiled. Mikes face was priceless. He didn't know whether he should be angry or happy. Then he smiled, "good for you Soph. but do you really think it was a good idea breaking the school bullies nose on your first day at your new school?" I smiled back at him. Me and Joey stood up to leave. Just as we were about to leave I shouted back, "oh, by the way, me and Joey are going out." And with that we ran upstairs to my room.