It Can Only Get Better

"oh, that's nice"

"What the fuck." I said to myself. She breaks a dude's nose, shit she must be strong, and now her and Joey are an item.
*ring, ring*
"Hello, Dirnt residence." I answered.
"Sorry, I think I have the wrong number, I'm looking for a Mr. Pritchard." Came a voice from the other line.
"No, you have the right number. That's me, how can I help you?"
"Are you the guardian of Sophie Pritchard?"
"Yes, I am. How may I help you?"
"Hello, this is Mr. Delrose. I am the principal of St. Lucia's, Sophie's school. I believe we spoke this morning."
"Ah, yes. I remember."
"Yes, well I was wondering if you could meet with me tomorrow morning. I have a meeting scheduled for 8:45, is that okay?"
"Yeah, that's fine. I'll see you then Mr Delrose."
"Oh, and bring Sophie with you." And with that he hung up.

"Soph, Joey, dinner, come on before it gets cold." Mike yelled up to us. We turned off the telly and ran down to the kitchen, and sat down at the table. Mike set the pizza and chips in the table in front of us, and all three of us dug in. "Sophie," Mike said when we were nearly finished, "I had a phone call form your principal a while ago," I looked up at him. My jaw dropped. "He wants to meet us before school tomorrow morning" he looked over to me. "It's okay, I'm sure it won't be that bad." He laughed. "so, you two are together then? That's nice." "yeah. I asked her out today," Joey said, "right before she broke the guy's nose that was kicking the shit out of me. " he added turning a little red. "Oh, that's nice," Mike laughed. "Well, do you two want to do the dishes and I'll call your mom. And let her know you're ready to be collected." He said, still laughing, as he walked out of the room.

I was washing and Joey was drying. Hey did you know, you can have fun washing up. Joey kept making me laugh, telling me stupid anecdotes about Mike and about what happened on some Green Day tours. It was hilarious, and rather disgusting. I mean one time Mike actually shit off a balcony, gross. He was putting the glasses in the cupboard and I stood right behind him, and when he turned around my lips caught his. He was shocked, but kissed back. "Well, well, well, what do we have here?" we broke apart and looked around. Billie was standing in the doorway. "Aach, ain't that sweet. My ickle boy is growing up." Billie said walking over and pinching Joey's cheek. "Dad, geroff." He said pushing his dad's hand away from his cheek. "Or what Joey? You'll get your girlfriend to beat me up." Billie burst out laughing and Joey turned bright red. "Leave the little man alone Billie," Mike walked into the kitchen. "Yeah, well, at least I didn't get beat up so bad today." Joey said, wiping the counter. "I'm sorry dude, I was only messing with you. Come here." Billie said giving Joey a hug. "Well, come on Joey, time to go. I'll get my ass whooped if we aren't back soon." Billie said grabbing his keys. "Ok, bye Mike, bye Soph." Joey said walking out after his dad.

*Next morning*
"Ah, Mr. Pritchard. Come on in. You're right on time." Mr. Delrose led us into his office. Twice in two days, at a new school. Hey, a new record.
"Yes, Mr. Delrose, thank you." Mike said talking a seat opposite the principal, and I took the seat beside him.
"I take it you know why I called you in." Mr. Delrose said, motioning to my arm.
"Yeah, Sophie told me the story." Mike began but Mr. Delrose cut in.
"Well, perhaps Sophie could tell me the story. I haven't heard it yet." Mr. Delrose looked at me.

I was sitting staring out the window, not really listening. "Sophie, aren't you gonna tell your side of the story?" Mike said looking at me. I could tell he was dying to laugh, you see I have a habit of drifting off into a dream world at the most inappropriate times. "Oh, yeah." I smiled and looked up, "well, you see, Joey was showing me to history, and these three guys came up and started beating him up, and I couldn't take it anymore. I guess I just flipped and I punched the guy who was punching Joey. And then he got up and ran down the hall." I paused and looked at Mike, then Mr. Delrose. "And that's it." I ended. "
"Okay, well that's all I need to know. Now, could I ask you two to wait outside while I talk to Mr Mc. Ginley and his parents. It will only take a few moments. Thank you." He said standing up and showing us to the door.

We sat outside for ten minutes, and then Mr. Delrose called us back in. Jack and both his parents were both sitting in the office when we walked back in. "Now, this is a very serious matter. We can't have this being the example that is set for other children. Something has to be done about it. An example has to be set. So both, Mr McGinley, and Miss Pritchard will have three days suspension and a week detention each. Now I know it may not be seen as fair, but something has to be done, and Miss Pritchard, perhaps this will show you that at this school, we do not tolerate violence, now both of you," he said looking at me and Jack, "I will see both of you back in here next Monday morning, first thing." And with that, we left. We walked to the car in silence and the car journey home wasn't much fun either, but Mike told me that he was proud that I was able to stand up for myself, and others, but just, next time, don't break any bones. I was to spend the rest of the week in the studio with the guys, just messing about, Mike tried teaching me some more songs on the guitar, but with two broken fingers, it was too difficult. The cast kept getting in the way. I hadn't seen Joey since Monday, but I talked to him every night. Everyone at school thought it was cool that I had broke Jack's nose, I was, according to Joey, a hero. But I guess he would say that.

*Ding dong*
Oh, screw that, Mike can get it.
*Ding dong, ding dong.*
"I'll get the door then shall I" I yelled running down the stairs and opening the large oak door. Joey pulled me close and kissed me softly on the lips.
"Who is it? Oh, okay. I'll be in the kitchen if you guy's need anything." Mike said and walked into the kitchen. I took Joey's hand and led him up to the music room, well Mike did tell me we weren't allowed in my bedroom alone together. He didn't say anything about any other room in the house. I pulled Joey close and we made out, the kiss getting deeper and deeper.

"Guy's do you want something to... Sophie! Joey!" Mike yelled, and me and Joey broke apart. "Living room. Now. Both of you." He said and held the door for us. I quickly got off Joey's lap and walked out the door.

"Guy's come on, please don't do this. I may be lax about some things but don't try to find loopholes in the few rules that I do actually set." Mike looked a little disappointed. "I'm sorry Mike, we were actually going to do some work, that I missed at school, seriously, we were." I said putting on my best poker face. "Sophie, don't lie. I was a kid once, and I have used that line before." He said smiling, and took a seat opposite us. "Now I know you two are going out, but just, I don't know. Act more responsibly. Okay." I nodded, "and if you guys must be alone together, you can be in Soph's room, but leave the door open." I looked up at Mike. "Joey, you go on up, Sophie'll be up in a mo." Mike said, and Joey left. "Look Soph, I'm just saying, don't go too fast with Joey, I know he's a good kid but, you know. I've only got you a month. It won't look good on me if you end up pregnant at fourteen." Mike smiled. "Mike, it's okay. I promise you that I won't do anything stupid. Okay. I will always be open with you." And with that I gave Mike a hug, and ran up the stairs two at a time. "And I want you two to do some work. I'll be checking." Mike called after me.

"Joey, what the fuck are you doing?" I said quietly, he jumped so high, I swear. "What, what I do?" he said turning round and looking me in the eyes, god his eyes were amazing. "Joey, please put my knickers back in the drawer and close it up after you." I said and walked over to the bed. "Okay, sorry." He said putting them back in and closing the drawer. "Okay, Mike said we have to actually do some work, so... " I said leaning over towards him. He leaned in, closed his eyes, and... I pulled away with a smile, "homework" I laughed, and moved over to the desk. "You're evil." Joey sulked, "I know," I said, then walked over and kissed him on the lips quickly.

"Soph, come on. Up please." Mike shook me awake. "Yippee, Monday morning again." I sighed as I opened my eyes and got out of bed. I walked into the kitchen as Mike set a bowl down in front of me. "Now Soph, today try to keep out of trouble, and remember to go to detention, and try not to beat up anymore bullies. I'll collect you after okay." Mike stood up and refilled his coffee. "Yeah, okay. I'll remember, and I'll try. Oh, and Mike I'll be fine, don't worry. And before you say anything I have everything. I think I might actually enjoy my first full day of school." I laughed and ran out the door to catch the bus.

I got to school with fifteen minutes to spare, well except for having to go to the principal's office. Wasn't too bad, just your average 'don't do it again' speech. And off to geography. Isn't my Monday morning just the best? I mean can you get better than double geography, then double history after recess. Well, at least I get to see Joey in every one of my classes.

3:30, great. "Well babe, I gotta go. You know, detention for saving your ass." I smiled and gave Joey a quick kiss and walked down to R.E 2. Jack was already standing outside. We didn't talk the whole hour, but I kept catching him give me evils every time the teacher turned around. To be truthful, two black eyes and a swollen nose suited him quite well. And afterwards, Mike picked me up.

"Here." I said once Soph got into the car, throwing a box on her lap. "Oh, what is it?" she seemed so excited. "Well open it and you'll find out. Duh." She opened it slowly, and her face lit up. "Happy first full day of school, Soph." I said messing her hair. "I would hug you Mike, but I don't want you to crash, so I... Fuck Mike take hold o the wheel again please. I'll hug you when we get... wait, where we going?" "To starbucks. Tré and Billie and Joey are all already there. You know, mid-afternoon caffeine boost." I smiled. I walked in the door, it was strange. I had never been to a starbucks in my life. "Soph, now don't beat me up, but I ordered for you." Tré said pushing a cup towards me. "Oh Tré, you shouldn't have." I said wiping an imaginary tear from my eye, and laughed. I sat down beside Joey and whispered in his ear, "What exactly is this and is it safe to drink?" he nodded and I took a sip, it was lovely, smooth, creamy, warm and sweet. I am going to wish I hadn't in about fifteen minutes. I'll tell you what happened.

It started off fine, I drank my 'orange mocha frappacino' that Tré had bought me. We all sat and talked, hung out, I didn't mind the guy's were cool. Mike's excuse (I didn't buy the coffee excuse) was that he didn't trust me and Joey alone in the house so it was better to be out in public. I was shy, didn't even kiss Joey on the lips, just the cheek, and held his hand under the table, that sort of thing. That changed as soon as the sugar kicked in. Now I was practically bouncing off the walls, it was fun. Tré had also given me some valuable advice, either eat more sugar, or have a killer headache. I had three more coffees before Mike took me home.

*Home room, Tuesday morning*
"Shit Soph, what happened you." Joey came up and sat beside me. I lifted my head off the desk, "Nice to see you too. In answer to your question, 3 orange mocha frappochino's, a chocolate version and two soda's happened to me. I'm on a downer thanks to 'uncle' Tré as I now have to call him apparently." I said resting my head on the table again. "Yeah, we're all just one big family. Didn't yah know?" Joey smiled.
"Now, class. You know the drill, shout if you hear your name" Mr. Kelser was one of the 'cooler' teachers.
"Julie-Ann"
"Here"
"Jake"
"Here"
"Ana"
"Here"
"Joey"
"Here"
"Connor"
"Here"
"Richard"
"Here"
"Sophie, wait, who the heck is Sophie"
I lifted my head from the desk again, "Here, sir." I answered, lifting my arm up so he could see where I was sitting.
"Well, who are you, and why are you on my roll?" he said with a smirk.
"Sir, I just transferred from Ireland a couple of month's ago."
"Yeah, cool. I've never been. Is it nice?"
"No sir, all it does is rain." I said with a smile, and the class laughed.
"Okay, so, if school started a week ago, and you transferred a month ago, why ain't I seen you here before?"
"Well, last Monday, and this Monday too, I had a meeting with Mr. Delrose, and I've been off all week on suspension cause last Monday I broke a bully's nose," i paused, and then added, "sir." The class laughed again.
"Okay, that's a sufficient answer, sit down, and thank you. Oh and everyone, just talk amongst yourselves."

"Shit, you don't beat about the bush do you?" Joey laughed as I sat down again. "Well, why would I? Everyone should know the truth about that bastard."
*Beep. Beep. Beep.*
"Alright everyone, piss off to class." Mr. Kelser added and we all left.