It Can Only Get Better

wait, you were what?

"Hey Larry, where we headed?" I couldn't sleep again so I half stumbled into the cab part of the bus. "Oh, hey Sophie, I think we're heading to New York." He replied, not turning his head, I sat down beside him. Larry was a nice guy, I had talked to him a lot since we went on tour with dad cause I was usually too pumped up on caffeine to sleep at night so I kept Larry company when he's driving. I talked to him about my parents and Cassi, and stuff like that. He was able to empathise with me cause he lost his mum and older brother a few years back, so he knew what I was going through. "So, how's the pranking going." He said after a while, "The superglue thing was priceless, he didn't get those drumsticks off for three whole days." I laughed. "Yeah, its not really going, we're trying to keep it quiet for a while, just lie in wait for retaliation. That and the lack of ideas." I said, "You want a coffee? I'm making one for myself anyway." I added. "Yeah Sophie, that would be great, you really do take after Mike, even if you've only known each other for a year." I got up and went to make the coffee, and soon returned with two mugs and set one down in front of Larry, and took my seat with mine. We chatted for a while longer and at about 3 o'clock I headed to bed and fell asleep cuddled into Joey. I have to say I was actually surprised that dad and Billie let us share a room let alone a bed, not that I was complaining about cuddling up to my boyfriend every night. By now we had done 3 cities, after New York we were heading to Ireland and then we were getting sent home and the guys were going on to Germany.

I woke up with Stella shaking my shoulder, I opened my eyes and looked at the clock, half past 8. "Stella, it's only half eight, what you want." I complained, but then saw her face and jumped out of the bed without waking Joey, and walked out of the room with Stella. She pulled me into the bathroom and locked the door. "Stella, what's wrong?" I asked, looking at her concerned. "Sophie, can you help me." She still looked worried. "Sophie. It's my first time and, well, I don't have any, you know, and I was wondering if you had any." I smiled, "Jesus Stell, I thought something terrible had happened, course you can wait a minute." And I walked out of the bathroom, and back into the bedroom. I looked in my bottom drawer, but it was empty, "those rotten, petty, bastards." I yelled, "What rotten bastards," Joey said waking up, "oh nothing babe, I'll be back in a minute," I said and walked out of the room. The three guys were sitting talking over some play list or something, I walked up, "Very funny guys, but just not good enough," and walked into the cab, "Larry, you couldn't stop at the next store could you?" I asked, "Yeah sure, we'll be stopping in the next town for a few hours so I can get some kip, that okay for you?" "Yeah," I replied, "Should only be about fifteen minutes anyway," and with that I left to tell Stella. I reached the bathroom and knocked, Stella let me in. "Stella, the guy's pranked me by stealing my tampax, but Larry said he'll pull in at the next store." I gave her a hug and told her not to worry, and left again, to go sit with the guys.
"Oh, dad." I said sitting down beside Mike, "just to let you know, you're gonna have to give Stella the 'growing up' talk soon. There's a few things she needs to know and I ain't telling her, we ain't that close." I said and pulled a book out of the drawer and began reading.

Billie did the exact same thing to the kids at the NY gig, and at the one in Dublin, and if I do say, they were getting really good. On the anniversary, we left everyone behind and me and Soph headed down to the graveyard. It was emotional but we got through it okay, and thankfully Soph's cousin didn't turn up while we were there. The next day me and the guys had stuff to do, and sent the kids shopping, while we were stuck in meetings all day, about fireworks and shit like that.

"Guy's, I'm getting a little worried. Billie, ain't you worried man? They were supposed to be back a half hour ago." I paced the living room. "Naw man, why would I be worried, my Joe can handle it." I looked at Billie, "Dude, at least try to sober up a little. I mean you're not even drunk and you're acting like... well, you." There was a knock at the door. I ran towards it to find three dripping kids, with arms full of bags standing there. "You kids are late, I was worried." I said letting them past. "Sorry dad," Stella began, dropping her stuff on the floor, "we couldn't remember our way back, and then we couldn't find the room key, oh we bought you something," she said poking Soph and winking at Joey, but before she could do anything else, Billie came hurtling towards us and tackled Joey.
*do you have the time, to listen to me whine, about nothing and everyth... *

Tee hee, he still hadn't changed his tone.
"Hello? Yeah, speaking. Okay. No, that's fine. Yup, I'll clear it with them, okay. Talk tomorrow, see you then dude, bye."
"Sophie" he yelled, "yes daddy," I replied, giving him the puppy dog eyes. "Don't give me those eyes, you're forgetting I grew up with Billie, so I'm immune to those eyes. Now Soph, if you're gonna change my tone, change it to a good one, not Billie's crap," he looked at Billie, who looked offended, but then laughed and agreed, "now can you change it, or do I have to take it to the shop and get them to change it for me. You know I can't work these god damned things, I'm as bad as Tré." I smiled and took the phone off him, and without looking away from him, I changed it to 'Ha Ha Your Dead' I think it's a sweet song.

So, here I am, standing in Dublin airport, waiting in the departure lounge with the three guys, Joey, and Stella. We were heading back to the states, cause, you know, school starts in three weeks, and then tomorrow Green Day were heading to Berlin. Fun for them, not for us.
*flight 5029 to New York is now boarding, please make your way to gate 57B*
I gave, what felt like the twentieth hug to Mike, Billie and Tré, grabbed my carry-on, and we walked over to the gate, and boarded our plane. Stella got the window seat, me in the middle and Joey on the outside. I slept for about an hour but was woken by soft lips brushing across mine. I opened my eyes and smiled, "just wanted to say I love you, and the jungle book cartoon movie is on." Joey said, "I love you too babe, and thank you." I replied as Stella threw us 'the look' that she had been giving us any time we got 'all lovey-dovey' as she called it. We watched the movie and, then I fell asleep, again. I was woken this time by the pilot telling us that we were landing, over the intercom thing. Half an hour later, we collected our bags and stuff and left the airport. One of the perks of having a famous dad was, he had a car waiting for us. "Larry." I yelled as we came out the doors, running out and hugging him, after all, we were five-two up on the pranks thanks to him. "Well, hello guys. Long time no see," he said prising me away, "Larry, we've been gone about a week, and a half for Christ's sake," Joey exclaimed with a smile, and with that we piled into the car. Larry dropped Stella off with her mom, and then took me and Joey home to Joey's. We arrived around midnight, but Adie was up to welcome us home.

"Guy's, up now, it's nearly midday, and we have to shop for school stuff." Adie said, shaking Joey awake, "morning mom," Joey said opening his eyes and rubbing the sleep out of them. "but do we have to go shopping. It's so boring." "Joseph Marciano Armstrong get your lazy, skinny ass out of bed," I called from the doorway. "Well, if you stay in that towel, I might consider getting up." Joey said cocking an eyebrow, and then turned bright red, "Sorry mom, I didn't mean that," he added, he had completely forgotten that Adie was still in the room. I walked over to him kissed him on the cheek, then slapped him exactly where I kissed him. "I told you, ever talk to me like that and you're a dead man." I smiled and stood up, "now up, we have to go shopping." I picked up my bag and went into the guest room to get changed, or that's what I planned to do anyway. I was walking around the room in a pair of jeans and my bra, searching for my hairdryer, when the door creaked open, and Joey's head peered through. "Hey babe," he said walking in and pulling me into a hug, kissing my neck. "Joey," I moaned, as his lips met mine, and I kissed him back. "Come on Soph." he said, his hands rising up my back, coming up towards my bra strap, and his fingers fiddling with the clip. I pushed him away, "No Joey, not yet." I said, I wanted to, but, I was scared AND Adie and Jakob were in the house and could walk in at any time, but mainly I wasn't ready. I pushed Joey away but he walked closer again and kissed me. "Joey, NO." I said kissing him again as I pushed him out the door of my room.

I dried my hair and left it down, put on my little tee, a little make-up and shoes, and went downstairs. Even though I hadn't done anything with Joey, I felt guilty for what could have happened, and couldn't look Adie in the eyes. Joey walked in, kissed me on the cheek and got us something to eat. "Mom, can we stay at home today. You know our sizes and we'd just slow you up." He pleaded. I looked at Joey. We obviously needed to talk, so maybe it would be a good idea for us to stay home. "Well, you guys are fifteen, and are sort of responsible, and I suppose living with your father, there ain't much that will surprise me when I get home, so okay, only can you guys do the dishes and tidy up a little. Soph, I'll take you shopping tomorrow for those little things that you might need." I nodded, and blushed, as Joey smiled, "no Joey you can't come." Adie, smiled. "Jakob darlin, let's hit the road, we don't need to wait on the two lazy people." She yelled, and five minutes later they were gone, and me and Joey began to wash up.

"So you gonna model your new lingerie for me tomorrow?" I glared at Joey. "Jesus you've turned into a hormonal, horney fuck overnight haven't you." I shouted throwing the drying towel at him and stormed out of the room. "Babe, Soph, what's wrong with you," Joey came into the music room and sat down beside me. He tried to put his arm around me, but I stood up and walked over to another seat. "Sophie, what's wrong." He asked not moving. "Joey, I don't want to talk about it, so just leave me alone." I said walking out of the room. Joey sat stunned.

'Okay, I've left her an hour, and mom and Jakob will be home soon. They'll notice something's up.' I got up and walked down the hall. There was no noise in Soph's room. I slowly opened the door and peeked through, thinking that maybe she was sleeping, but she was sitting on the bed hugging her knees. She looked up at me with a tear stained face, and red, puffy eyes. I walked over towards the bed, and sat down on the edge. "Soph, I'm sorry." I said reaching over to take her hand and she took mine. "It's okay Joey, it's not really your fault." She said, still staring at her feet. "I do love you," she paused. This can't be good, "It's nothing to do with you it's just," tears falling from her cheeks. I hated to see her like this. "Sophie, don't cry, whatever's wrong, we'll get through it. It's okay." I said, pulling her into a hug and kissing her forehead. She sobbed quietly into my chest. "Soph," I said, pulling her away a little and looking into her eyes, her gorgeous blue eyes, "do you want to talk about it?" I asked. She stared back into my eyes and said nothing, then she looked down, "I can't" she said and began crying again, I looked at her and kissed her forehead again. "You can tell me anything, I won't tell anyone. I promise." With that she looked down at her feet, and then said slowly, the words no-one ever wants to hear, she sighed, and then said slowly, "Joey, I was raped."