It Can Only Get Better

will it be okay?

Billie was woken by Joey at 7:30 sharp. He was already dressed and washed, "Come on dad you promised last night, can we please go see Sophie. I don't even know if she's okay." Billie sat up in the bed and turned to Adie. He shook her a little, "Adie, Sophie went to hospital last night." Adie jumped into a sitting position, "What? Is she okay? What's wrong with her?" Adie said shocked. "I don't know, it's just something that happened last night and she wouldn't wake up. Mike would have phoned us if something was wrong but I'm going to take Joey down now okay?" I looked at her as she calmed down a little, "Okay, I'll take Jakob down a little later, perhaps at lunch or something." I kissed her and got out of bed pulling on some jeans and a shirt, and went downstairs. Joey was standing at the bottom of the stairs with my keys and a mug of coffee waiting, so we left straight away.

"Hello, yes I was wondering if you could help me," dad said to the receptionist at the hospital, "Yes, I'm looking for a Sophie Pritchard, she was taken in early this morning." The lady typed a few things into the computer, "I'm sorry, no one of that name was admitted this morning." Billie looked confused, so I pushed him aside, "sorry about my dad, can you try Sophie Dirnt," I asked. The lady went back to her computer, "Yes third floor, room 15B." I thanked the lady and dragged dad over to the elevators.

"Mike, wake up." Billie shook me awake, I stood up and grabbed Billie and pulled him into a hug. Joey took a seat at the other side of the bed and took Sophie's hand. "So, do the doctor's know what's wrong with her yet?" Billie asked as I let him go. "No, they've been doing tests all night but come up with nothing. Her heart rate's still low, and they've put her on a ventilator to help her breathe, and... " I paused, should I tell them? It wouldn't be fair for them not to know. "And what, Mike?" Joey asked quietly. "... And her heart stopped for a few minutes last night, when I first brought her in." I added. Joey began to cry, and Billie looked shocked, and stared at me, "she's been getting more and more stable all night, so that's good, but she still isn't breathing on her own and her heart rate is really low." I sat down again beside Sophie. "Does Tré know yet?" I asked and Billie shook his head. "We should phone him, let him know what the story is. Come on, we'll go phone him. I need a fag anyway." Billie nodded and I turned to Joey. He was holding Sophie's hand and rubbing the hair away from her face. "You be okay here Joey? The nurse should be around in a few minutes to check on her." He looked up at me, tears falling down his cheek, "Yeah, okay." He replied, and we left the room.

"Hello, darlin' what's your name?" a nurse walked into the room and began looking at the one of the machines that Sophie was hooked up to. "I'm Joey, her boyfriend. Do you know what's wrong with her yet?" I asked her. She frowned and looked back at the machine. "That's a no, isn't it?" she nodded. "So where's Mike off to then?" she asked. "He's away for a smoke and dad's away to phone Tré, their friend, to tell him what happened. They'll be back up soon." She nodded again while writing in Sophie's chart. "Okay then, well I'll be back in ten minutes, just holler if anything happens." I nodded to her and she left the room.

*Beep, beep, bebeep, beep, beep, bebeep. *
I jumped up and ran to the door, "Someone, come quick," I yelled and two nurses ran towards me, "something's happening to the machine. It started beeping different." They ran into the room and checked the machines, looked at her chart and stuff. I sat down beside Soph and held her hand, she squeezed it a little. I jumped up. The nurses looked at me, "she squeezed my hand." I yelled. Mike and Billie ran through the door, "What happened?" Mike shouted, "The machine beeped weirdly and she squeezed my hand Mike," I yelled. "She squeezed my hand. She's going to be okay." Mike ran around the bed and sat down beside Sophie. The nurses came over and took her temperature and some other stuff. Then one of them turned to us, "well, this is a positive result, Sophie is getting stronger and her heart is beating at a better rate now. We are still waiting on results but Dr. Covach is keeping her sedated at the moment, so she won't wake up until she's off the drugs. I will inform her of the change and she will be in to see you during afternoon rounds." And the nurse left. A few minutes later Tré arrived along with mom and Jakob. We let them know what was happening and mom started to cry. At twelve thirty Dr. Covach came into the room, she looked around the room and stopped in her tracks. "What's going on in here? Mister Dirnt, I believe I told you it was family only out of visiting hours." She looked angry at Mike. "This is family. This is Billie, Adie, Tré, Jakob and Joey." He said pointing at each of us in turn. He smiled at the doctor. "Mister Dirnt, I said family only and I find it hard to believe that all of these people are immediate family." She said scowling again. "Can I talk to you outside please?" Mike said walking out the door.

The doctor followed me out to the corridor. "I'm sorry, I know you said family only but these people are my family. They are the only family I've really got. I've known Billie since I was like ten, and me, Billie and Tré have been bandmates for seventeen years. I need them here, all of them, or I'll fall apart. Please?" I pleaded with her, and everything I said was the truth. I needed all of the guy's here with me. "Well, okay then, but keep it limited only a few of them at a time. It's for Sophie's interests." We both went back into the room. Dr. Covach looked over Sophie's chart, then walked over to the IV drip behind Joey and pushed a syringe full of stuff into it, and then she turned to face us, "Well, since you're all one big family, I may as well tell you all together. Sophie's heart rate is back to normal. Her breathing is still a little erratic, so we're going to keep her on the ventilator a little longer, but I have just given her a dose of drugs and she should be awake within the hour." Billie and Tré high-fived each other and Adie hugged me. This was great news. She was going to be okay, "Wait. Does this mean that you know what's wrong with her?" Dr. Covach looked at me. "No. All tests came back normal. There is no explanation for what happened to her. But rest assure, we will find out what caused it before Sophie is released. Now excuse me, but I have to go check on a few other patients. I'll be back in an hour to check her progress." And she left. I turned to the guys and they started laughing. "What?" I asked, "Ach, Mike's sweet on Sophie's doctor." They teased. "I am not." I lied. "Oh yeah, sure. We believe you Mike, we've only known you practically all of our lives" Billie laughed.

She squeezed my hand again, only this time it was harder. I looked away from dad, Mike and Tré's little argument, and looked at Sophie. Her eyes were open and she winked weakly at me. I leaned over, kissed her on the forehead and whispered, "I love you." to her. She smiled. "Mom," I said, "since dad, Mike and Tré are too busy arguing, you couldn't find a nurse and let her know that Sophie is awake." I said quietly, the guy's shut up right away and Tré ran out into the hall screaming 'she's awake' as if he had created a monster or something, like the dude from 'Frankenstein'. He came back in with a nurse. She checked Sophie over and removed the ventilator tubes. The nurse smiled and left. I kissed Sophie's lips softly, and Mike came over and hugged her. "You gave us quite a scare little lady." He laughed as he said it, with tears in his eyes. "No don't try to talk, you'll just waste your energy." I smiled at her. But, Soph being Soph, she had to talk, "I love you too." she whispered and smiled back at me.

Three weeks in the fucking hospital. Three fucking weeks, for the first week or so Mike practically lived here but then he had to go to do work in the studio and stuff, so I only had people in at visiting hours and shit. It is so fucking boring in here. The nurses are lovely, Dr. Covach is great, but seriously, they won't let me do anything. Mike said that he'll bring my guitar in today, but he's been saying that for a week, so I doubt it. He's got a lot on his mind cause Green Day have had a little bad press, annoyed fans complaining about cancelled gigs and shit, so they were working harder than ever to get the new album out.

"Morning Sophie. How you feeling today?" Dr. Covach was doing her morning rounds, "Morning Lisa, I'm fine. Can I go home yet?" I smiled, it was the same routine every morning. "No," she laughed, as she looked at my chart, "So, you figured it out yet?" I asked, she shook her head and frowned a little. Three weeks and they still didn't know why the fuck I nearly died. Yeah, Joey had told me that I was out cold, heart stopped, for a while. Cool, but scary. "Nope, all tests are still normal. No change at all, but I reckon a few days more observation and you'll be good to go home." I smiled and lifted the magazine from my shelf that Joey had brought me before he had to go to school. "Okay then doll, I'll see you a little later." And Lisa left the room. A few days and I'd be out. Oh look, a text from Joey,

Hi sexi, hows lazing in bed? School sucks ass. I miss you, luv Joe xxx
I smiled to myself. How I wish, sad as it is, that I was sitting in English right now. I may still be bored but I'd be with Joey. I replied,
Fucking sucks, wish you were here, love you babe xxx
I switched on the telly, and watched the cartoons that were on.

*Fifteen minutes later*
Joey walked through the door. He walked over to the bed and sat down. "What the fuck are you doing here, babe?" I leant over and kissed him, "Well, I have free periods, then lunch, then double history, and hey, I always say, it's in the past let it stay there. And I felt a strong need to come see you, but if you'd rather I go... " he said standing up and pointing to the door. "No, since you're here." I smiled and pulled him down onto the bed. We sat and talked for ages and at two thirty Billie and Mike came in. "What the fuck you doing here Joey? If your mom finds out, your dead, and I ain't saving your ass." He smiled and ruffled Joey's hair. "Free periods dad, I swear." Joey laughed. Dad walked over and kissed my forehead. What is it with these people and foreheads, seriously. "Where's Tré?" I asked, I hadn't seen him in ages, and I missed his upbeatness around here to cheer me up. "Oh, he's dying his hair purple. He'll be in later." Mike said with a weak smile. "Oh, dad, guess what?" I said, "What?" he answered picking up a newspaper, "Oh, just that Lisa said I might be out in a few days." I said calmly. He looked up, "well, that's great. A few days at home and then you can go back to school." I looked at him, "are you serious? I'm going back to school the day after I get out of this place. I'm so fucking bored in here, cause you keep forgetting to bring me my guitar." Mike screwed up his face, "shit I forgot, sorry." He turned to Billie, "hey dude. Give Sophie you're acoustic 'til she gets outta here." Billie looked at Mike then left the room, and returned a few minutes later with his old battered guitar that he practices with. "Thanks dude." I said taking the guitar, strumming a few chords then put it aside. "You cried for a guitar and now you ain't playing it." Mike said laughing a little, "Well, I ain't bored when you lot are here." I said and went back to talking to Joey. Just then Tré walked in with green hair. "Dude," I laughed, "liking the purple hair Tré." I added. "Why thank you." He said rubbing his hand along his mohawk. We all burst out laughing, "Dude, you do realise that it's green." He looked shocked. "What!" he shouted, grabbing is hair and running to my mirror. "Aargh. It's green." He screamed. "Dudes this ain't good. I wanted it to be purple." He sulked. "Aaw, I likes it Tré," I said getting out of bed and stroking his hair, and giving him a hug. "I'll help you dye it when I get out, okay?" I said looking at him like he was a kid. And then it went black.

I opened my eyes. I was lying on the bed with dad holding onto my hand and Joey asleep in the seat at the other side of me. I reached over, without waking Mike, and nudged Joey. He woke and I put my finger to my lip so he wouldn't wake Mike. I wanted to here it from him first 'cause Mike tends to sugar coat things. "Joey, what happened? It's dark." I whispered. "Soph, you've been out cold for about ten hours. You fainted after you hugged Tré. Lisa's been in and checked you over and did lots of tests and then a couple of hours later she took Mike outside to talk to him in private, and he won't tell us what she said. But I'm so glad you're awake." He kissed me. "What was that for?" I asked, he looked a little hurt, "I always thought it was the girls who were good with dates. Its one fifteen and we're going out a year today." He smiled at me. "Joey I've been stuck in a hospital for three weeks. I barely know what day it is, let alone the date. Now come here." I said and pulled him into a kiss, although it is a little hard to kiss with a tube stuck up your fucking nose. Mike woke up, he's and incredibly light sleeper, and he felt me move my hand from under his. "Whoa kids, not in front of the parents, please." He said covering his eyes and laughing. I pulled away from Joey and he sat down on the edge of the bed. "So, you gonna tell me what Lisa was talking to you about out in the corridor? What you won't tell everyone else?" I said looking at Mike. "Hey Joey, run downstairs to the shop and get us three coffees please." He said handing Joey some money. After Joey left the room Mike turned to me. "Soph, they've found out what's wrong with you. They missed it three weeks ago, but when they did that MRI thing today and they found something." He paused and looked at me, his eyes were filling with tears. "Mike, tell me what the fuck is wrong with me." I shouted at him. He sighed, "they took a scan of your brain and... " tears started to fall down his cheek, "Soph, they found a tumour, in your brain."

And with that he broke down and pulled me into a tight hug. I tried to speak but nothing would come out. I hugged Mike tighter, until I almost couldn't breathe. "Thank you Mike." I said. He pulled away from me, "What are you thanking me for Sophie?" he cried. I looked into his eyes, "thank you, for telling me the truth, and not lying to me." I reached over and hugged him again. Joey walked into the room. "What's going on here, Sophie, what did Lisa tell Mike?" Joey asked handing out the coffees. I took mine and placed it on the table, then I took his from him and placed it beside mine. I took Joey's hands in mine, and looked into his eyes, "Joey, baby, they found a tumour in my brain." He looked shocked, "they found a tumour in your brain," he said back, "but they can operate on that, they can fix that, can't they?" we heard the door open and Lisa walked in. She looked over at us, "I take it from this little scene you've told them Mike." She said. Mike said nothing but nodded his head. Lisa walked over and sat at the end of the bed, she looked at Joey, "yes we could operate, but the brain is a very complicated organ, the operation alone could kill Sophie, and if she made it through there's only a 57% chance that she would recover fully." She said looking between Joey and me. I looked up at her, "and if you don't operate?" she looked at Mike, then returned her gaze to me. "If we don't operate, your quality of living will decline rapidly, and... " she paused, "and what?" Joey almost shouted, "And you might not see Christmas." She said. "So basically," I piped up, "I'm screwed if I do and I'm screwed if I don't." I smiled. If I didn't smile I would cry, and if I cried, I wouldn't be able to stop. I looked at Mike, he was sobbing in the chair, and "I'll do it. I want the op." I said, still looking at Mike. He didn't look up, Lisa turned me round to face her. She had her serious face on, "you know the implications Sophie. You could die on the operating table." "And if I don't have the op I'll be dead in a few months." I interrupted, "You said it yourself Lisa. I am having the operation. If I live I live, and if I die, I die. No-one is going to change my mind." She stood up, "I admire your bravery, and Mike, if you have no objections, as you have the final say, being her legal guardian," she said. Mike looked up at her, "its Sophie's decision, if she wants to go ahead, then I can't stop her." Lisa nodded, "I'll get you scheduled in for tomorrow then, but I have to ask a favour," she looked at the three of us. "No more than two visitors at a time." She turned and left the room.

Ring, ring, ring.
"Hey, you know who you're trying to call, but we couldn't be fucked to talk to you so leave your message after the beep." came dad's voice. "DAD, WAKE THE FUCK UP!" I yelled into the phone, "and call me back when you do." I hung up and placed the receiver onto the cradle. A few minutes later the phone rang again.
"Joey don't fucking talk to me like that, you hear." Came a groggy voice from the other end. "Sorry dad, I need you, in the morning, to phone the school and tell them I won't be in. It's Sophie, but you guy's can't come down cause Dr. Covach put a restriction to two people at a time. Okay?" I said quickly before he could interrupt me. "Yeah, sure dude, no worries." Dad replied, "Thanks, and dad, write it down so you'll remember." I added, "Okay, night Joey." Dad said and hung up. I cradled the receiver and ran back up to Sophie's room. She was fast asleep, as was Mike. I sat down in the chair and took her hand. I kissed her forehead and lay my head on the bed and drifted off.