Wedding Bells

...A reason I don't exist...

Her family home sat on a hill and you could see it from pretty much anywhere in town. It was majestic and regal, unashamed in its boastfulness. Corrine had always been embarrassed by it, like the house was always screaming for attention. She would never tell that to her mother, she always told her never to apologise for what they had, for her parents had worked hard to give her everything she ever needed. Whether or not they were actually doing that was debatable.

“Then at ten, Corrine will walk down the aisle in the stunning Vera Wang— “

“Vera Wang?” Corrine cut in, snapping out of her reverie.

Susan glanced from her mother, to Mrs. McIntyre in alarm.

“Yes, the crisp white tulle ball gown,” She explained.

Corrine turned to address her mother now; she could feel the beginnings of an argument arise.

“But I chose the beaded Pnina,” she said through clenched teeth. Her mother gave a stiff grin, clearly holding back her irritation. God forbid Victoria McIntyre was to see Caroline Gale lose her cool.

“Darling, we agreed that the Vera Wang made you look more like a bride than the Pnina. We don’t want you looking like a stuffed sausage,” Caroline punctuated this with a glorious laugh. “Let alone a bedazzled stuffed sausage at that.”

Caroline and Victoria laughed together at her mother’s awful joke. Corrine pursed her pink stained lips and turned away. She tried not to let the words hurt her; she tried not to think about how she could stop the hurting. She should not have bothered; she knew her mother would change her mind. If it was up to Corrine, she would get married in the middle of the woods. She would be surrounded by majestic, strong trees, barefoot with her toes sinking deep into the dirt. She would wear a flower garland and carry a bouquet made from wild flowers. But then she would be marrying Nick and not Joshua.
They continued like that, running through the itinerary, until it was time for brunch. Joshua’s entire family would be coming to the wedding, and they were a large family. A large family made up of lawyers and doctors and future politicians. Mr. McIntyre was an incredibly respected businessman, who has always taken an interest in politics. He made sure that all his children took an interest too. Joshua did not at first, he was the star quarterback in high school, and went on to be All American in college. But his father put an end to any NFL dreams Joshua may have had. Now he was due to complete his law Degree this fall, and he would be interning at Mr. Gale’s office. Working hand in hand with the Supreme Court Justice would look remarkable on his resume. Mr. Gale pulled in a favour for his future son-in-law.

When he saw her walk into the room, his face lit up and a smile spread across his face. Corrine could not help but smile too, and maybe feel a few butterflies. In the conventional sense Joshua was extremely handsome. He had the brightest blue eyes Corrine has ever seen on a boy. His hair was a dirty blonde, that was kept trimmed and tamed. He was tall and built like a quarterback, with the kind of charm that could send a thousand girls swooning. The swooning, Corrine had played witness to during college. She should be happy he was with her.

“You look beautiful,” he complimented, leaning down to kiss her lips.

Corrine pulled away quickly; she did not want her parents seeing. She was never the type for PDA; only ever with Nick. She smoothed down her knee-length white wrap dress. She should make more of an effort to stop thinking about Nick.

“So, do you,” she returned. He was in grey formal slacks, with a white shirt that had the first three buttons undone. He looked crisp and clean, like a GQ model.

“Thanks,” he whispered against her ear as he walked them to their seats, “I’ve always wanted to look beautiful.”

Corrine could not help but smile at the lame joke. Regardless of the circumstance, he always made an effort to make her smile. Even if he was not feeling in high spirits, he made her smile and laugh. He made her feel special and wanted, when he looked at her Corrine felt like she was the only girl he could see. Joshua had his faults; he was not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he was trying. He was putting in the effort and she should do the same. They were both making necessary sacrifices.