Status: Complete

When Does the Pretending End?

Chapter 105- I Can't Help Falling In Love With You

Cris’s Pov

“Lucy” I whisper into her ear. She shakes her head. “It’s time to get up” I say gently stroking her face. “I’m too comfy” she say trying to pull the covers over her head. “I know you are. And as much as I would love to spend the whole day in bed with you. I have plans for us. So please can you get up” I say and she opens her eyes. “You’re already dressed?” she asks. “I gave you longer time to sleep. But I want you to meet someone and we need to leave now” I say. “Who?” she asks. “I’ll tell you in the car. Now up” I say and she lets out a shout when I pull the covers off the bed.

“You know it’s hard to what to wear when you don’t know where you are going” she says as I drive. “You look beautiful” I say and bring her hand to my lips. It wasn’t too hot and she had decided to wear a pair of white leggings with a red and navy dress with wedges. It was a simple outfit and she looked beautiful. “It’s beautiful” she says staring out the car window.

“Ready” I say as I stop the car. “Who are we meeting? Since Dolores and the others are all in Lisbon I know it’s not them. If I had known I was coming here then I would have brought their Christmas presents. Did you know that they wouldn’t be here?” she asks.

I smile. “Of course. Why do you think I picked this weekend” I say. “Cris” she says tapping my shoulder. “Hey we only have one day here and I didn’t want to have to share you with them ok” I say getting out of the car. I walk around to Lucy’s side and open the door. “Hey no need to sulk” she says looking up at me from her seat. “I never said it wasn’t a bad idea” she says taking my hand.

“Now who are we meeting?” she asks fixing her sunglasses. “My grandmother” I say closing the door. “Your grandmother” she says in shock. “Yes I want you to meet her” I say. “Why didn’t you tell me? I would have worn something different. We haven’t even brought her anything” she says quickly. I place a hand on both her shoulders. “One you look beautiful as you always do and two there’s no reason to be nervous. She can’t wait to meet you” I say and she laughs. “What’s so funny?” I ask confused.

“Just thinking about how nervous you were when I met your family the first time” she says as I take her hand. “Well you weren’t really my girlfriend back then. Well not my real one anyway” I smile.

“Óle. I thought I heard a car” an older lady says beside an open door. “Óle gran” I say letting go of Lucy’s hand to kiss my grandmother’s cheeks. “How’s my lovely Ronaldo” she says pinching both my cheeks. “Gran” I say embarrassed. “And this must be Lucy” she says. “Lucy this is my grandmother Filomena Aviero. Gran this is my girlfriend Lucy” I say.

“Óle” Lucy says and Gran hugs her to Lucy’s surprise. “I’ve heard so much about you. Let’s go inside” Gran says linking arms with Lucy.

“I hate to break up all your laughing, but we should be going” I say a few hours later. I watch as the two ladies sit talking. “What’s the rush?” Lucy asks. “There’s places I want to show you before we get back to England” I say. “He’s right. I know Ronaldo has so much to show you” Gran says to Lucy. “Well then thank you for breakfast and it was lovely to meet you” Lucy says. “I’m delighted Ronaldo brought you to see me. Dolores was right. You are a lovely girl” Gran says. We say our goodbyes and Lucy and I head back to the car.

“Now that wasn’t so bad was it” I say to Lucy. “She’s lovely and so funny. Don’t know where you get your humour from” she says grinning at me. “Funny. Well she clearly loves you” I say. “I seem to have that affect on your family. Expect Hugo” she says. “Wouldn’t be bothered about that” I mumble. I hadn’t spoken to him since he had left Manchester and I had no plans on doing so any time in the future.

“She clearly adores you. Would I be correct in guessing that you are her favourite?”she asks. “Oh gran doesn’t have favourites” I grin. “But” she says. “I’m totally her fave. Although I think I might have to fight you for that title. She genuinely adored you” I smile. “Well since I’ve already taken the fave title with Rodrigo, I’ll try not to take this crown” she jokes and I laugh. “She told me so many stories about you and your dad” Lucy says. “She misses him” I say.

“So where to next?” Lucy asks eagerly. “Here” I say stopping the car. I open her door. “This church has one of the best views of Funchal” I say as she gets out of the car. “Wow” she says looking over the wall. “Come this way” I say taking her hand and walking past the couple of people outside the church. We bless ourselves as we enter the church. I entwine our fingers and we walk up the aisle.

“My Máe and Papi got married here” I whisper. “Really. That’s so lovely” she says. “Máe thought Katia would have married here but she decided to get married in Lisbon” I say. “Well she has three more children to follow her and your father” she says as we reach the steps to the altar. “Maybe one day” I say smiling down at her. “Just have to find someone insane enough to marry you” she says grinning. “Very funny” I say and lean down to kiss her lips. We walk around the church and Lucy lights a candle for Lacey.

Word had got around town that I was in the area going by the crowd of people that was waiting for us when we left the church. “Sorry about that” I say after signing some autographs. “It’s nice to see. It’s not everyday people get to meet their hero” she says. “But it can be a bit annoying. Especially when I just want to be left alone” I say. “They’re proud of you. I’m sure you’d be the same if you hadn’t been lucky enough for your dream to come through” she says. “I know. You’re right” I say. She’s nearly always right I think.

“I was thinking” I say. “Thought that was my line” she says. “You have been doing very much of that lately” I say. “Haven’t had any thing to worry about lately that warrants me to think. Now what were you thinking?” she asks. “How about instead of going back to England tonight, we stay here another night” I say. “Yes” she says quickly. “Before you agree. Staying here tonight would mean a 4 o clock wake up call to catch our flight” I say. “Don’t care. I’d like to stay another night” she says. “Good thing the plane is booked for the morning then isn’t it” I say and she gasps. “Why you little” she starts to say but stops when my hand goes to her thigh.

“Room service again tonight so” she smirks. “I have something else in mind” I say. “What? Never mind you’re not going to tell me anyway” she say looking out the window. “Ahh you’re learning” I joke and she rolls her eyes at me.

“This is amazing” she says looking out at the sea. We were standing on the promenade. “Look at that and tell me it’s not gorgeous” she says holding out her camera told show me the picture she had just taken. “The person who took the photo is even more gorgeous” I say wrapping my arms around her waist. “That is so cheesy” she laughs resting her body back against mine. “But you still think I’m cute” I say. She turns to face me and wraps her arms around my neck. “Super cute and mega hot” she says pulling my mouth to hers.

“Excuse me” a voice says from behind us. “Just five minutes of peace” I mumble into Lucy’s ear. “Óle” Lucy says to the woman. “Óle. Would you like me to take a picture of the two of you together?” she asks and Lucy grins at me. “That would be lovely” Lucy says handing the camera to the woman. I hold Lucy close to me as we smile for the camera. “Thank you” Lucy says to the woman. “Enjoy your Sunday” the lady says. “You too” I say as the lady walks off.

“Guess not everyone wants a picture with you” Lucy grins looking at the picture. “I get you” I say. I take her hand and walk her towards a bench. “It’s a bench” Lucy says as I take a seat. “I used to come here when I was a kid. A football at my feet. Anytime I felt sad or annoyed” I say. “Was that often?” she asks taking a seat beside me.

“Sometimes. When my brother and sisters were annoying me or I didn’t want to do my homework or when my parents were fighting” I say looking out at the waves crashing against the rocks. “And you would come here alone?” she asks. “Day or night. It’s very peaceful. More than you think. When I moved to Lisbon to play football I missed having somewhere to go” I say. “It must have been very difficult to leave everything you know at such a young age” she says. “I got to play football” I say shrugging. “The lighthouse is very pretty” she says holding my hand. “You should see it at night. I always come here when I’m home” I say. “This place is very special to you” Lucy says. “It’s not the only thing” I say kissing her forehead.

A couple of hours later, after eating, Lucy looks through the CDs. “You won’t find anything good. There all Máe’s” I say. “Hello Frank Sintra isn’t bad. Oh Elvis” she says. I take the CD from her hand and press play. As Elvis starts to sing, I pull her close to me and we sway. We sway and I never want to let her go.

“Take my hand, take my whole life too for I can't help falling in love with you, for I can't help falling in love with you” I sing. She pulls back from me and stares into my eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Cristiano has shown Lucy the most special things to him. From his grandmother to the bench. Is Lucy special to him. Was he just singing a lyric or did he mean what he said at the end?

What was your favourite part of their trip

Thanks to kalamnamuhs123 and Jayme112234 for their comments.

Only two more chapters left.