Status: Complete

When Does the Pretending End?

Chapter 18- Portuguese Interrogation Aveiro Style

Cristiano’s Pov

“Hey Ronnie you fancy going out after the game” Wayne says I was walk back into the dressing room. “Can’t. Have the family coming over this weekend” I say. “All of them. Weren’t they just here” he asks. “My mother and sisters yeah” I sigh. “Probably checking to make sure no more crazy women have damaged your car” Wayne laughs. “I wish” I mumble.

Today was D-Day. Today was the day I was going to introduce Lucy to Máe and the others. The minute Máe heard Lucy scream on Wednesday night, she knew I was hiding something from her. I only told her the bare information over the phone. I knew there was no point in talking about it since I knew she would now be coming over with Katia.

I hadn’t heard much from Lucy since she left the house on Wednesday night. She said she was busy at work, but she was coming over this afternoon to meet everyone. The closer they all get to meeting the more I think this is a bad idea. Why did I listen to Jorge and Nuno? Is it fair to but Lucy through all this? Ok I know my family aren’t like the Mafia or anything really bad. But well their not the easiest people. Still when I gave her a way out the other night I was glad she didn’t want to stop this plan.

“Hey Nuno, where are you” I shout when I get into my house. “Games room” I hear him shout. “Hey. So how nervous are you?” he asks me. I look at him playing pool all relaxed. “Not nervous at all” I say to him and he laughs. “They’ll realize we are lying after a few days. You do know that? And I will be telling them that it was all your idea” I say to him. “I wouldn’t be so sure about Cristiano” he says.

“Olá where are my lovely boys” I hear a voice shout. I look at my watch. Of course they are early. I was hoping Lucy would get here first. “Olá Máe. It’s lovely to see you” I say giving her a big hug. “Tio Cris, tio Cris” Rodrigo says running up to my legs. “Wow look how big you are getting. You’ll be bigger than me soon” I say picking him up. “Is anyone going to help with the bags” Katia says holding two bags in her arms. “Hey sis” I say as Nuno grabs the bags out of her hands. “So where’s the new girlfriend” Elma says. “Hello to you too Elma” I say ignoring her question. “How do you cope with this weather Cris? We left the sun and now it’s raining here” Máe says. “Yeah it’s freezing” Katia says. “You get used to it” I say. “Who’s hungry” Nuno asks. “Forget about the food Nuno, tell us about the new girl in my brother’s life. All he has said is that he was spending time with someone called Lucy” Elma asks sitting on the stool in front of Nuno. “You’ll meet her soon” he says. I forgot how much Elma hates not knowing things. “Lucy is Lucy” I say. All the women in the room turn and look at me. What the hell do I say about someone I have only known two weeks? “Should we be worried that you’re keeping her secret little brother” Elma smirks.

Ding dong. “From the panic in your eyes I’d guess that would be Lucy at the door” Elma says getting up off the stool. “Don’t move” I say to them all. “I’ll get the door” I say and I hear all chorus of laughter as I leave the room.

“Hey sorry I’m late. I’ve had the day from hell” Lucy says as she steps through the door shaking off the water on her coat. Don’t think it’s going to get any better for her. “What happened?” I ask. “Just work and stupid men” she says as she takes of her coat. “Relax for once you’re not one of the stupid men. For now anyway” she says. “Good to know” I say. “Why are you looking at me like that?” she asks. How was I looking at her? “My mother and sisters are here” I say to her and watch her take a deep breath. “They just arrived and you’re sort off the number one topic” I say to her. “So no need to be nervous” Lucy says tapping me across the arm. “Come on let’s get this over with” she says and pulls me towards the living room.

“Máe, this is Lucy. Lucy this is my mother Dolores” I say. “Olá, Mrs. Averio. é agradável para encontrar conhecê-lo” Lucy says. Lovely to finally meet her. Wait since when did she speak portoguese. “Call me Dolores please. Aren’t you lovely” she says giving her a hug. She did look lovely, dressed in a black knitted dress and leggings. “You speak Portuguese” Elma asks. “A little” Lucy replies and I see a smile appear on her face. “I’m Elma and this is Katia” she says. “It’s lovely to meet you all. Cristaino has told me so much about you” Lucy says. “Well he has told us nothing about you. So please come sit and talk with us” Elma says pulling her to the couch to sit down.

“Don’t forget about me” Rodrigo buts in. “This is my son Rodrigo” Katia says to Lucy. “Hello Rodgerio” she says and Rodrigo starts to smile. “So how did you two meet?” Elma asks and Lucy looks at me. “They met at a resturant Elma” Nuno says as he hands everyone a glass of water. “Hey Lucy” he says. “Hi Nuno” she smiles at him. “We bumped into each other literally and got talking and have been since then” Lucy says to the faces watching her. “That’s it?” Elma asks. “What else is there to say”I say to her. “Yeah that’s all there is” she says to back to me.

“Food is ready. Everyone come sit” Nuno shouts from behind us. Thank you Nuno. “Yeah food” Rodrigo says “come on Lucy” he says and grabs her hand ushering of the couch. “Food sounds lovely. This weather always makes me hungry. I hate the rain” Lucy says as she holds hands with Rodrigo. We all take our seats and i pratcically have to fight for the chair next to Lucy off Nuno. “You never told me you spoke Portuguese” I whisper to Lucy. “You never asked” she says smirking. “Are you coming to the match tomorrow, Lucy” Katia asks. Crap i forgot to ask if she could come. “You’re working right Lucy” Nuno says towards her. Of course Nuno knows what Lucy is doing. All week i have heard Lucy did this and Lucy was there. “Yes i am sorry” Lucy says. “Aww I wanted you to come” Rodegio says. “But you will come to dinner tomorrow night. I’m cooking” Máe asks. “That would be lovely. It would be nice to taste someone elses cooking other than Masterchef heres cooking” she says nodding to Nuno. “Well you don’t want to eat Cristiano’s cooking” Elma says and the table starts to laugh. I’m really starting to get annoyed with all this bashing about my cooking. “I perfered your cooking to Nuno’s” Lucy leans over as whispers. I raise my eyebrow. “Well a small bit” she says and smiles.

Ater dinner Katia dragged Lucy into the movie rooom and I was told to stay away. “First dinner is going well” Nuno says as we do the washing up. “Dinner went fine it’s what they are talking about that could be the problem” I say to him. “Rodrigo go into your Mama and then come back to me” i say to my nephew who had been playing with his toy car on the floor. “Ok” he says and runs off.
A few minutes later he comes back. “Tio Cris, they are all laughing and Máe says I have to get ready for bed” he says. What are they laughing at.

“See Nuno I knew you could get him to do the dishes” Lucy says when she comes back into the room with Elma. “Serioulsy brother sending a three year old to spy on us” Elma says and both her and Lucy start to laugh. “Don’t worry Cris, we didn’t tell Lucy anything bad” Elma says. “Yeah they just told me some stories about you growing up” Lucy says. “And maybe some pictures” she contuines. “Elma!” I say. The girls keep laughing.

“I should go. I have a few things to do before i go to bed” Lucy says before saying goodbye to everyone. “I’ll walk out with you” i say and follow her to the door. The rain has stopped and it was starting to get dark. “So what did ye all talk about?” I ask Lucy as we reach her car. “Couldn’t even make it till tomorrow. Your sister was right” she says laughing. “What do you mean?” I ask. “Elma said you would quiz me the minute you got me alone. Katia gave you till at least till they left the country” Lucy says. “Well if they didn’t ban me from the room i wouldn’t have to ask you” I say. “Relax they just asked me about myself and we talked about your family life in Maderia. That’s all. So relax” she says.

“Lucy you forgot your bag” Elma shouts from the door. I run back to get it from her. “He asked didn’t he” Elma shouts to Lucy. “Yeah he did” she says back. “Thanks Elma”I say grabbing the bag. “She’s still there isn’t she” i say when i get back to Lucy. She looks around me.”Yes” she says. “No privacy with my family” I say. “I’ll see tomorrow” she says. “Wait, Lucy” I say as she stops getting into her car. “Thanks” I say and lean down to kiss her cheek.

I wait a couple of minutes before heading back inside to face the Portuguese inquistation. “So let me have it” I say sitting on the couch facing Máe. “I like her Cristiano” Máe says. “Yeah she’s not your usual type” Katia says. “I get what you see in her. Don’t know what she sees in you though” Elma says. “Thanks sis” I say. “Although only a kiss on the cheek. Jezz she seems more interested in Nuno at times” Elma says as she sits beside me. “He’s hardly going to be all over her in front of you” Nuno says sitting at the other side of me. “That would be a first” Elma mumbles. “I’m going to get ready for the hotel. Wayne’s collecting me in a bit to go to the hotel” I say heading up to my room before Elma starts asking me anymore questions.
♠ ♠ ♠
So Cristiano has introduced Lucy to the family. What do you think?