Status: Complete

When Does the Pretending End?

Chapter 40 - Talk To Me

Cristiano’s Pov

She’s cute when she’s angry I think. “One. You said I could kiss you in front of my family since you are meant to be my girlfriend and two you looked like you were enjoying yourself” I say wrapping my arms around her tiny waist. “In your dreams” she says pulling away from me. Oh sweetheart you don’t want to know what I’m dreaming about.

“Your cranky when you don’t get enough sleep” I say. “And you’re a jackass who can’t deal with his sister’s teasing” she says. “Hey you don’t have a sister so you can’t talk to me about family” I shout. Why does she think it’s so simple? Her make-up bag falls on the floor. She begins to pick the things up. “Hey let me help” I say bending down to the floor. “I’m sorry” she says and stands as I place lipsticks, painkillers and other things back into the bag. Her head is in her hands and she’s shaking.

“Hey what’s the matter?” I ask and she pulls me into a hug. Her head rests on my chest as I wrap my arms around her pulling her closer to me. A few minutes later she lifts her head and I can see tears forming in her eyes. “I’m sorry. You should deal with your sister however you want” she says starting to pull away from my body. “Not so fast” I say holding her arm. I trace her cheek with my fingers. “Talk to me” I say. “Cris. I’m just tired” she says. And she walks around me and heads to back to the bedroom. Something is wrong with Lucy and it’s not because she is tired.

Her hand is at the zipper of her dress when I follow her out if the bathroom. “Here let me” I say as she struggles to open it. I place one hand on her shoulder while gently moving the zipper down. Her breathing increases as the zipper moves slowly down. “Thanks” she says as the zipper reaches her bra and she moves away from me. “Do you want to watch a film later?” I ask deciding to change the subject of why she’s upset. “Think I’ll get an early night after Rodrigo goes to bed” she says. “He likes you bedtime stories” I say and she smiles. “Plus if I get sleep I won’t be cranky any more” she says grabbing jeans and a top as she walks past me back into the bathroom. “For the record you’re cute when you are cranky” I say and she laughs “Ya right”. She has no idea.

After we eat and listen to Katia describe the fun day she had with Zé and Rodrigo had at a museum, Lucy clears the table and heads up the stairs after Máe with Rodrigo. I decide to leave her sleep. She clearly doesn’t want to talk to me. “Lucy is quite tonight” Katia says. “She’s tired. She didn’t sleep that good last night” I say. “Keeping her awake all night, hey Ronnie boy” Zé grins. “Shut up Zé” I say. I wish it was me keeping her awake. “So what have you done to upset Lucy?” Nuno asks when we are alone. “Absolutely nothing” I say and he raises his eyebrows. “I’m serious. She’s stressed over Tina and there’s something else but she won’t tell me” I say. “Well she’s private. It’s like she knows you that well” he says. “Ya I guess” I say. “Leave her be. Come watch a film with us” he says and I head towards the movie room.

The room is dark and Marcosa is snoring from her basket beside the couch when I finally get inside the door of my bedroom. Nuno and Zé insisted I watch another film. I can see the outline of Lucy’s body through the covers in the bed. I undress and crawl next to her. She shifts in the bed and her hand moves over her head pushing the covers down her body revealing the tank top she wore. Oh hell. I think as her lips pout in her sleep. Those lips I think. I grown and turn away from her to sleep.
A kick to the shin wakes me. I sit up to see Lucy twisting and turning in the bed practically shaking.

“Lacey, Lacey no don’t stop” she shouts as I shake her awake. Her eyes open and her breathing is fast and she sits up in the bed. She’s shaking and her breathing keeps getting faster. I turn on the lamp and tilt her chin up to look at me. “Hey take a deep breath in and out” I say and she does this nearly ten times. She’s still shaking so I rub her arms with my hands. “I’m sorry I wok…..” she says but I place a finger against her lip. “Don’t apologise for waking me up” I say. “Lucy who is Lacey” I ask. She takes a long deep breath.

“My sister” she whispers.
♠ ♠ ♠
Find out why Lucy is having nightmares about her sister in the next few chapters. Will Cristiano be able to support her or will she back away from him.

Thanks for all the comments.