Status: Complete

When Does the Pretending End?

Chapter 51 - Getting Closer

Lucy’s Pov

“Thankfully she has better taste in guys” Cris says when he breaks away from my mouth. Dam him. He always distracts me with a kiss I think trying to get my thoughts back as his teammates leave the house.

“Insane. Better taste in guys” I say to him. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know what to say. I thought you were going to hit him” Cris says. “Rio shouldn’t be the worried one” I say heading to the couch. “What was I supposed to say? You weren’t meant to be back for ages” he says. The cheeking twat. “It’s my fault your teammate called me insane?” I yell at him. “That’s not what I meant” he says. “I was only ever meant to meet your family” I say. This whole arrangement is getting harder and harder.

“They liked you” he says moving closer to me. “Super” I say. she says sarcastically. “I’m sorry” he says wrapping his arms around my waist. His comfy warm hands. After everything that happened today I need his hug and I rest my head on his chest. “You should be” I say. “They weren’t happy I didn’t tell them about my hot girlfriend” he says. “Their words or yours” I ask. “Theirs and mine” he says. I smile.

“I still think some of them are muppets” I say. “Well everyone think Rio is even his girlfriend” Cris says. I laugh and look up at his face. His hand moves to my chin. I can feel my heart beating fast as he looks at me with his chocolate brown eyes. I hear beeping and step back from him.

“Oh shit the dinner” I say running to the kitchen. “You’ve been spending too much time with Cris. You’re starting to cook like him” Nuno says walking towards me. “Shut up Nuno. Nothing is burnt. It was just a timer I had on” I say noticing Cris watching me.

“So dinner should be fun tonight” Nuno says. “It will be quite anyway. None of them are talking to each other” I say. “They’ll sort themselves out” Cris says. “Well at least you won’t have to put up with them for much longer” Nuno says. “What do you mean?” I ask. “They are going home Sunday. And Cris is going on international duty” he says. Oh I forgot Cris was gone next week. Guess that means I have time to myself then.

“Máe is looking forward to getting home to Hugo” Cristiano says clearly not happy. “I bet she just wants to be at her own home” I say and he rolls his eyes.

“So what are you going to do next week since you have a break from acting” Nuno says smiling. “I have work. And I might go visit Tina since she’s now talking to me” I say. “Did she day much on the phone?” Cris asks. He hadn’t asked the other night. “We didn’t talk for long. Josh told me she can only be on the phone for a certain time. But we just talked about how she was doing” I say. Leaving out the part of the conversation where she asked who was the guy that had answered the phone.

“Something smells great” Dolores says taking off her jacket as she walked into the room. “I hope it tastes as nice” I say. “I bet it will” Cris says smiling at me. “So what were you three talking about?” she asks. “I was just saying how you must be looking forward to getting back to your own house” I say. “Yes it will be nice to get home and see my friends and Hugo” she says and Cris lets out a snort. What the hell is going on between Cris and his brother?

As I suspected dinner was very quiet. Neither Elma, Katia nor Dolores spoke to each other throughout the meal. “Lucy met some of Cristiano’s teammates today” Nuno says and both Cris and I stop eating to glare at him. “Oh that’s lovely. They grow on you after spending time with them Lucy” Dolores says. “I reckon a lot of time” I mumble. “I thought you two were keeping your relationship secret” Elma says. “You and me both” I mumble and Cris leans towards me “I really didn’t think you all would be home that early”. I turn to look at him. “I know” I whisper. “Well ye sort of came home early didn’t ye” Nuno says and the women glare at him. “Nuno I think you are doing the dishes tonight” I say and Cris laughs. “Don’t mess with Lucy” he says. “You should remember your own words” I say.

“Lucy are you coming to Portugal with me” Rodrigo asks. “No sweetie but you will be back soon and I will play when you come back here” I say. He sits with his arms crossed. “Not fair” he says. “Aww Rodrigo” I say. “You will be having too much fun with your dad to miss Lucy” Cris says. “Ha so does that mean you will be having too much fun with your teammates to miss Lucy” Elma asks. “Careful how you answer that Cris” Nuno jokes. “I’ll be back before I can miss her” Cris says kissing my cheek. Wow he’s good at pretending to be a sweet boyfriend.

“That’s Rodrigo in bed” Katia says walking down the stairs in front of me. “I thought he would never go to sleep” I say. “He likes the stories you read to him” she says as she sits on the couch. “Anything on TV?” Nuno asks taking the remote from Cristiano’s hands and sit opposite Katia on a chair. “Nothing” he says. “Put on the rest of that programme we were watching last night” Elma shouts from the kitchen. I sit next to Cris and stretch my legs out on the couch laying my head on his shoulder. He raises his eyebrow at me but then puts his arm around my waist and turns his body so my head rested on his chest. “Don’t you two look cute together” Elma says walking towards us then stops when she sees she has to sit next to Katia. I feel Cristiano’s chest move and look up to see him biting his lip. I smile at him and he winks at me. “I think this is where we stopped” Nuno says as Elma sits next to Katia.

“I see what you did there” Cris whispers into my ear. “I have no idea what you are talking about” I whisper back. “It will take more than making them sit together for my sister to talk to each” he says and I turn to face him. “Can’t help though can it” I say and he kisses my forehead. “I suppose it doesn’t” he says. “Or” he says. “Or what” I say. “Maybe you just wanted to cuddle up to me” he says. “Keep dreaming” I say and he pulls me closer.

Cristiano is watching TV on his bed while I sit on the couch in his bedroom checking my email the following morning. I have a bunch of work emails that I must read before Monday. I notice an odd email. I open it.

Darling,

I tried calling you at work but you failed to return my message. I just wanted to let you that I have decided to spread Michael’s ashes this week. I would like you to come. You have my telephone number.
I heard the sad news about Tina. I always knew that girl would get into trouble. She never thought about how her drug taking would hurt her farther. I’m sure you are supporting her. I wish you could support me as much.

Hope to take soon.
Mum

Was I really reading this? I can’t believe her. This was sent on Thursday. She sent me an email about the man that killed my sister on my sister’s anniversary. She didn’t even mention Lacey. I slap down the laptop. I wrap my arms around my body. I can’t understand my mother. I stand up and begin to head for the door but I stop and look at Cris laying on the bed. I walk to the bed and kicking of my shoes I lay down next to him.

“You ok?” he asks when I rest my head on his chest. “Yes” I whisper. He runs his hand over my stomach and pulls me back to look at him. “What’s the matter?” he asks. I sigh as my head hits the pillow. “Lucy” he says. I sit up and reach for my laptop at the end of the bed. He sits up when I hand it to him. “The bitch” he says angry. “I know” I say. “She never once talked about Lacey. How can she just ignore her death?” he says setting down the laptop. “I thought she couldn’t surprise me anymore. I guess I was wrong” I say and he lays back down on the bed facing me. Our heads are inches apart from each other. “She doesn’t deserve to have you as a daughter” he says as his fingers smoothes my cheek.

We lay there side by side. His eyes on mine. My eyes on his. His eyes are so lovely I think. In fact he really is a lovely guy. I don’t think I could have gotten through this week without him. His fingers run up and down my back as he pulls my body closer to him. “You deserve better” Cris whispers and I kiss him. His lips mould against mine. His hand touches my skin on my back. When we pull apart we are both breathless. Did I just kiss him?

“Lucy I can bring more than Nellie in here tonight?” Rodrigo says as he opens the door. I move further away from Cris and sit up. “Sorry” I say. “Can I bring my other toys here?” Rodrigo asks coming over to my side. “Why are you bringing your toys in here?” Cris asks. “I’m sleeping here tonight” he says. “I said he could sleep in here with me tonight” I say avoiding looking at Cris. “Lucky him” I hear Cris mumble. “I should go. I have to meet my squad at the train station” he says getting off the bed.

“We go tomorrow morning” Katia says to Cris as we all stand in the living room ten minutes later. “I should see ye all after the game on Wednesday night” he says hugging her. “Be good” he says to Rodrigo. “Have a good game tomorrow” Dolores says kissing his cheek.

He turns to face me. “I guess I’ll see you when I get back from Portugal” he says but it seems like a question to me. I nod and he moves closer to me. “Don’t miss me too much” he grins and leans down to kiss my lips. His arms wrap around my waist and one of his hands moves to my hair. “You have to leave for her to miss you” Elma says and Cris pulls away from my lips and glares at his sister. “Bye” I whisper as he walks away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Will Lucy miss Cristiano more than she will be willing to admit.

Thanks for all your comments.