Status: Complete

When Does the Pretending End?

Chapter 52 - International Distance Apart

Cristiano’s Pov

“I see what you did there” I say into Lucy’s ear as I watch Elma sit next to Katia. “I have no idea what you are talking about” she whispers back. “It will take more than making them sit together for my sisters to talk to each” I say but hope it works. “Can’t help though can it” she says. I like how she wants to help them. I kiss her forehead “I suppose it doesn’t” I say. “Or” I start to say but stop talking shaking my head. “Or what” she says. Here goes. “Maybe you just wanted to cuddle up to me” I say not hoping. Really I wasn’t. “Keep dreaming” she says and I pull her closer. No have no idea Lucy.

“So how much did Lucy like us yesterday?” Rio asks after training. “What do you care?” I say heading to my car. “I don’t” he says. “She seems nice Ronnie” Michael says. “She is. Although it would be nice if my mates didn’t call her insane” I say looking at Rio. “I was joking” he says laughing. “Ha so Rio is her least favourite” Wayne says nudging Rio in the ribs. “Shut up Wazza” Rio says. “Well it doesn’t matter if she likes us as long as she likes Ronnie” Wayne says. Yeah she likes me for another few weeks anyway.

After a quick lunch I head to my room to relax before I head to meet the lads at the train station so we can travel to London for the match tomorrow. Then it’s on to Portugal. No coming home. So Lucy can go back to her real life for the week. She’s on her laptop as I stretch out on the bed. I can smell strawberry on her pillow. I could ask her to come with Máe over to Lisbon. She said she was going to be busy with work and visiting Tina. Nah I shouldn’t ask her to come. Should I?

I see Lucy stand up from the couch. I watch as she turns towards me kicking of her shoes and climbing onto the bed next to me. She’s as white as a ghost. Her eyes look sad. She hasn’t looked like this in days.

“You ok?” I ask when her head moves to lay on my chest. “Yes” she says. Why do I feel worried? I run my fingers over her stomach. She needed a hug from me or just a hug from anyone. “What’s the matter” I ask and she moves her head to the pillow. “Lucy” I say. She sits up and picks up her laptop, handing it to me. I look at the screen. I read the email. What the hell? I look at Lucy and then back to the screen. “The bitch” I say. “I know” she says. “She never once talked about Lacey. How can she just ignore her death?” I say. Trying to get my head around the email. “I thought she couldn’t surprise me anymore. I guess I was wrong” Lucy says and I lay on my back next to her.

Then I turn to face her.

Even with sad eyes, her blue eyes look beautiful. “She doesn’t deserve to have you as a daughter” I say moving my fingers over her cheek. I could stay like this forever I think. “You deserve better” I say and she moves head closer to mine. As our lips touch my shuts down and I keep kissing her hard and slow. She looks shocked when we break apart. Is she realising what I just thought? That was the first kiss we had without having anyone watching us since all this arrangement occurred.

Having beaten Chelsea Nani and I flew to Lisbon to join up with our international teammates. I’m unpacking my bag when the door knocks. “When were you going to tell us about your girlfriend?” Pepe says as I open the door. “Hello to you too” I say as he and Nani walk into my room.

“So spill. When did you meet her? What is she like?” Pepe starts asking quickly. “Slow down. Jezz you sound like a chick with all those questions” I say. “Hey I just want to know all the facts before I tell Ana. Otherwise she’ll give out for not knowing all the details” Pepe says. “Whipped” Nuno coughs. “Says the single guy. How are you going to get a woman now that you wing man is taken?” Pepe jokes.

“Ronnie has a girlfriend. And he really likes her too” Pepe says looking at me. “Why do you say that?” I ask. “You’re keeping her a secret and Nani says you have been really happy the last few weeks” Pepe says. Have I been really happy? That isn’t because of Lucy. Is it?

“Look I don’t want the press finding out about her. Ok. It’s bad enough that she has to spend a lot of time with my family and now my teammates want to know her” I say sitting on the side of the bed. “I understand. You don’t want to scare her off” Pepe says and I nod. “Well don’t do anything stupid and you should be alright” Nani says. “Coming from mister stupid himself” I say and duck as a shoe comes flying past me.

“Let’s meet the rest of the lads” Pepe says laughing. “I’ll just get my phone in my room” Nani says opening the door. “I won’t say anything to the others and I’ll tell Nani not to either” Pepe says. “Thanks” I say. I’m lying enough as it is. “Cheer up. You’ll see her in a few days. And Nani is right” he says. “Right about what?” I ask. “Don’t do anything stupid. At least until I get to meet her” he says laughing. “Heard she is hot too” he says.

Time has gone so quickly this week. It was now Wednesday and I’m just killing time before the match tonight. “Jezz you have it bad” Pepe says. “What?” I ask looking up from my phone. “You haven’t stopped looking at your phone all week. Just ring her already” he says. “Oh shut it” I say.
I hadn’t spoken to Lucy since I left home Saturday afternoon. Well it’s not like she is my girlfriend. We don’t have to talk to each other when we aren’t with each other.

I keep thinking about that kiss. Did she just forget about her rule about not kissing when we were alone? Or did she mean to kiss me?
♠ ♠ ♠
Did the kiss mean something? Find out what Lucy has been up to soon.