Status: Complete

When Does the Pretending End?

Chapter 53 - Men Acting Weird

Lucy’s Pov

“Hey just to warn you. Dad is meeting your mother today” Josh says as we leave the train. “Where?” I ask. “At Dads” he says. “So I won’t be visiting there today” I say. “Lucy do you ever thing about talking to her. It has been a while. I bet she misses talking to you” he says. I stop and look at him. “Josh for the last time. I don’t want to speak to my mother so leave it” I say. He is always pushing me to speak to her. I know he doesn’t know the full story but Mum and I weren’t close before I found out the truth. Jezz Cristiano doesn’t push me to speak to her. Wow where did that come from? Why should I care that Cris understands. I wonder how his week is going I think.

“I’m sorry. Let’s go visit this client and then see Tina” Josh says pulling me from my thoughts.
I had spoken to Katia and Rodrigo most days this week. Rodrigo seemed happy to be with his dad. Dolores had also phoned me to make sure I wasn’t working too much. I swear that woman loves to worry. Cris and I hadn’t spoken at all. Which was fine.

After a long brunch with a client Josh and I headed to Tina’s rehab. “Luce” Tina says coming into the room. “Tina” I say tears forming in my eyes as we hug. It felt so good to see her in person. “Tell me what have you been up to?” she asks taking a seat opposite Josh. “Nothing much just work” I say. “Elena reckons she has being dating” Josh says. “No she doesn’t” I say turning to look at him. “You should be” Tina says. “Can we change the subject please?” I ask. “How is your treatment going sis” Josh asks. “Well. They think I could leave soon” she says. “Really. That’s great” I say. “The two of you will be having girly nights again before you know it” Josh says. I can’t wait. Tina back in Manchester again. Everything will go back to how it was. Won’t it.

Josh heads to meet Luke while look around the shops after meeting Tina. The city is really busy as England fans gather for the match tonight. I pull out my phone. It starts to ring. “Hi” I say. “Hi” Cris says. “What you doing?” I ask. “Waiting to head to the stadium for the match” he says. “I was just going to text you” I say. “Máe said that you were going to see Tina today” he says. “Yeah I did. I mean I’m still in London. I was just shopping actually before I went back on the train” I say. “In the changing room again” he says and I can tell he’s grinning. “I’m not trying on any clothes so get that image out of your head” I say. “You can’t control what goes around in my head” he says laughing.

“He misses you” I hear a voice say in the background. “Shut up” Cris shouts. “Ignore him” Cris says. “Who was that?” I ask. “Pepe my teammate. He’s been annoying” he says. “Well I should leave you get back to him so” I say. “I’ll see you tomorrow” he says. “Maybe. I don’t know but I’ll be at your on Friday” I say. “Ok. I’ll see you when I see you so. Bye” he says and hangs up. That was weird.

I send him a text and head to meet Josh at the train station. “Hey it’s going to be crazy in there” Josh says pointing to the station. “Lets get something to eat before we head back. Have a chat” he says. “Ok but somewhere warm. I’m freezing” I say and he links his arm with mine. “Good. It will be nice to spend time with you” he says. I spend a lot of time with Josh. What’s going on? First Cris acts weird and now Josh. And men think woman can be odd.

“So what do you want to chat about?” I say as the waiter places our food on the table. “Nothing really” he says picking at his plate. “Ok what is wrong?” I ask. “What?” he says looking at me. “You are acting really weirder than usually” I say and he smiles. “Do you think Tina is ready to leave the rehab” he says. “I was wondering when we would talk about that” I say putting my fork down. “It’s just that we didn’t know she was doing drugs before. How can we make sure she doesn’t again” he says. “I don’t know Josh. I really don’t. All we can do is help her” I say. “You are right” he says. “Addiction is hard” I whisper remembering what Dolores had said.

“I like hanging out with you” Josh says. “Me too” I say. “We have known each other for years haven’t we” Josh says taking my hand. “The good thing about moving to England was meeting you and Tina” I say smiling at him. “You can’t change the past” he says. “No but it doesn’t stop it affecting your future. Or so I am told” I say.

“What you need is a holiday” he says. “Now you are talking” I say. “Maybe in the new year I might take you on holiday” he says still holding my hand. “Well if boss says I need a holiday who am I to argue” I say. “You would argue with yourself if you could” he says joking. “You are right though. I do need to relax more” I say. “Is that your way of getting time off” he says. “Sort of. I think I might work from home for a bit” I say. The next few weeks will be busy with Cristiano’s family coming over. I have a feeling I should be around more.

“As long as the work gets done, I don’t mind” he says. “Thanks” I say. “But it means I won’t get to spend as much time with you” he says. “We don’t see each other that much at work” I say. “But who will look after you” he says. “I don’t need to be looked after. I can take of myself. I’m not going to break” I say.

“I normally don’t agree with Elena” he says. “You do more than you realise” I say. “That doesn’t matter. What I agree with her about is” he stops talking. “Is what?” I ask gesturing for him to continue.

“You need a man in your life” he says. I laugh. “Oh please. And you know someone” I say. He lets my hand go and leans back into the chair.

“Yes. I know the perfect man for you” he says.
♠ ♠ ♠
Who is Josh talking about? And why was Cristiano so short with Lucy on the phone?

Thought I would post another chapter. Enjoy.