Status: Complete

When Does the Pretending End?

Chapter 55 - Lunch Surprise

Lucy’s Pov

“Oh really you have the perfect man for me” I say to Josh as we sit in the busy restaurant. “I do” he says. “Well tell me about this Mister Perfect” I ask. “Maybe another time. Come or we’ll miss our train” Josh says gathering his stuff. “Josh I don’t need a man. So stop trying to get me to date. You are as bad as Elena sometimes” I say reaching for my handbag.

When I finally reached my apartment my eye lids were struggling to stay awake. This day had been so draining. First the client, then Tina and then Josh’s nonsense about my perfect man. I know they are only looking out for me but wish my friends would just butt out. Maybe in the New Year I will start dating again. I just want to get Tina back to her old self. I throw on an oversized shirt and throw back the covers of my bed. I flick through the channels on the TV. I wonder if Cris won his game tonight.

I snuggle up in the covers as the results appear on the TV. Two goals. Not bad. He should be happy I think smiling. I could have gone to his house tonight I guess but he was staying in Lisbon tonight before catching an earlier flight back to Manchester and then heading straight to training.

The apartment feels so empty and cold. I’m used to having fun here with Tina. And I guess I’m used to all the noise at Cristiano’s house. Funny how much I actually like being around them. Considering I was so nervous about agreeing to meet them all. And lie to them. Oh why did I agree again? I think as I toss in the bed.

“Hey are you ok?” Elena says sitting across from me in the restaurant the following day. Why does everyone ask me this? “Why do you ask?” I say reading my menu. “You look tired and quite” she says. “I didn’t sleep that well” I say truthfully. “Well I think your day is going to get a lot better so wake up” she says setting down her menu and waving over my shoulder.

I turn around and see Josh coming towards us. A tall man in a suit was walking next to him. “Well fancy seeing two of my favourite girls here. Mind if we join you” Josh says pulling out the chair next to Elena. “It would be our pleasure” Elena says. “Aren’t you going to introduce us” the man in the suit says to Josh. “Where are my manners? Elena, Lucy this Marcus. Marcus this lady here is Elena” Josh says pointing to Elena and “this lovely lady is Lucy” he says smiling at me. “Ladies what a pleasure” Marcus says taking a seat next to mine.

“Hello Marcus” Elena says. “Hello” I say to him before turning to see Elena and Josh exchange a look. “So you work with Josh?” Marcus asks me as Elena and Josh start discussing what they were going to order. “Yes I do. How do you know Josh?” I ask. “I met him a couple of months ago. He’s told me so much about you” he says. Has he now I think as I see Elena smile at me.

Josh’s phone buzzes and he apologises before looking at it. “Oh no. I client has turned up at the office demanding to see me. I must get back to the office. I’m sorry Marcus. You stay and have lunch with these lovely ladies” Josh says. “We’ll catch up again” Marcus says resting his hand behind my chair. “I should go with you” I say getting ready to stand up. “No stay. I can manage. Enjoy your lunch” Josh says waving the table goodbye. What is he up to?

After the three of us finish our soup, Marcus tells us all about his villa in Spain. “Oh I love Spain” Elena says. “Don’t you Lucy?” she says. “I guess” I say sitting forward in my chair enough for Marcus’s hand to drop of my shoulder.

“Oh know look at the time” Elena says looking at her watch. “It’s only 1.30” I say. “I know I forgot I had to meet someone. I must go. Enjoy the rest of your lunch. It was nice to meet you Marcus” she says as Marcus shakes her hand. So Elena suddenly has to go. First Josh now Elena. Heck she was the one who came into my office a half an hour ago demanding we go to lunch.

“Alone at last” Marcus says. I smile at him. “It was nice to meet you but I should be getting back to the office. There is a pile of paper work on my desk as tall as myself” I joke. “Oh stay. We can get to know each other better” he says placing his hand on my knee. “I really should get back. I was only meant to have a quick lunch” I say trying to move my leg. “Josh thought we should get to know each other” he says has his finger slipped under the hem of my dress. I push my chair back surprising him. “I’m not sure what Josh has told you but I’m not interested in getting to know you. And if you so much as speak to me again not to mind touch me again, that soup will be the last thing you eat. Goodbye” I say and leave him sitting at the table.

I quickly head back to the office and walk towards Josh’s office. “He’s on the phone” his assistant May shouts as I open the door. “If you ever do anything like that again, my mother won’t be the only person I won’t be talking to. Got it” I shout as Josh turns to face me. “Lucy, I just thought” he says handing up the phone. “I don’t care what you thought. Don’t ever do that again” I say and storm out of the office.

“Hello you have reached Lucy. She can’t come to the phone right as she is thinking about how to kill her friends and get away with it” I say into the phone when it rings a couple of hours later. “Still mad I take it” Elena asks.

“What do you think? Seriously Elena a blind date. Do you know me at all?” I ask. “It was Josh’s idea” she says. “You didn’t have to help him. God the guy was a slezz. He tried to feel me up when you left” I say. “He never. In the restaurant” she says. “Yes” I hiss. “Ok we made a mistake. I’m sorry” she says. “You should be” I say. “How about I buy a take away and we can lounge in front of your couch tonight” she says. That sounds like a nice idea. But maybe I should go to Cris’s house. His mother is probably wondering where I am. It is fair for him to be dealing with all her questions. Sure it isn’t I think.

“Another night. I want to finish some paper work tonight. I talk to later” I say. “Ok. Talk soon. And Lucy don’t be annoyed with Josh. He was just doing what Tina would have done if she was here” she says. “Tina would have picked a better looking guy for starters” I say hanging up.

The lights are on in the house as I park the car next to Cristiano’s. Must mean he is here so. I open the door to be greeted by Marcosa. “Hello cutie. Have you missed me” I say as she jumps onto my dress. “I take that as a yes. Where is your owner?” I say as I head towards the kitchen.

“Wow I wasn’t aware hell had frozen over” I say to the tall man standing at the cooker.
♠ ♠ ♠
Did Lucy over react to the blind date? Let me know what you think.

Thanks to Sachelle1234567 ,Jayme112234 and kalamnamuhs123 for their comments.