Status: Complete

When Does the Pretending End?

Chapter 56 - My Day Just Got Better

Cristiano’s Pov

“I do wish you and Hugo wouldn’t fight” Máe says as we climb down the steps of the jet. “He started it” I say. “I don’t care. Hugo doesn’t need any arguments” she says. What about me? The last thing I want is to be fighting with a member of my family. “Well are you not going to say anything?” she asks as I open the car door for her.

“The car will take you and Nuno home. I’m heading to training” I say and she huffs as she gets into the car. “At least you don’t have to see Hugo” Nuno says behind me. “Until next week. Oh how will I manage not talking to my big brother” I say sacristy. “But at least you get to see Lucy today” Nuno says. “She’s not coming until tomorrow” I say and he raises his eyebrow. “That explains your bad mood” he says jumping into the car. I’m not in a bad mood I think.

Later that evening Nuno and Máe have both headed out so I decide to cook something to eat. I take the eggs out of the fridge and look for some bread. Marcosa starts to bark and jumps of the couch and heads to the front door. Máe must be back early.

“Wow I wasn’t aware hell had frozen over” a voice says as I break an egg into a bowl. “Lucy what are you doing here?” I ask. “Well isn’t that a nice welcome” she says taking of her black coat to reveal a beautiful blue dress which stopped just above her knee.

“I mean, I didn’t think you were coming her until tomorrow” I say as she walks over to the counter. “Well I’m here now. That’s ok isn’t it” she asks looking at me worried. It’s more than ok I think. “Of course it is” I say. “Where is your mother and Nuno. I thought they were coming back with you from Portugal” she says. “They did. Nuno is gone to meet some friends and Máe is gone to some dance class thing” I say.

“I should have figured Nuno wasn’t in the house. There is no way he would leave you cook in his kitchen” she says. “Hey it’s technically my kitchen” I say. “But he uses it more” she says smiling. “Explains the hell frozen over comment” I say. She nods. “You fancy something” I say. “To eat” I add. Did she just blush? “Yes please. I only had a small bowl of soup at lunch” she says. “Ok” I say as I dip the bread into the egg.

“What are we having" she asks watching me. “French toast and scrambled eggs” I say. “Sounds lovely” she says. “Hopefully it will be” I say. “I’ll lay the table” she says. “Why don’t we eat it in front of the TV” I say. “What would your mother say” she grins. “She doesn’t need to know” I wink back at her as I know she is remembering the conversation Máe and Zé had a few weeks earlier about how food should be eaten at a table.

I watch as she kicks of her shoes and takes a seat on the sofa. “Wow you are actually trusting me to cook” I joke. “I take the risk” she says looking over the back of the couch. “But don’t put too much salt on the eggs. You use way too much” she says. “You sound like Nuno” I say. “Ask your nutritionist if he agrees with Nuno and I” she says.

A few minutes later I walk towards her with two plates in my hands. “It smells so good” she says taking her plate from my hand. “So how was your week?” I ask as she digs into the food. “OK. I just worked really. I did see Tina though. Oh I never told you. She might be coming home soon” she says. “That’s good. It’s not too earlier though” I say. “That’s what Josh and I thought but the rehab thinks should be able to leave soon. So I guess we’ll soon find out” she says.

“I’m surprised you weren’t out with him tonight” I say. “He’d be lucky if I talk to him again not to mind spend the night out in town” she says finishing her plate and placing it down on the coffee table. “What do you mean?” I ask putting my plate down too. “Thanks for that. It tasted really good” she says taking her feet out from under her to set them on the floor. “Thank you. Now answer my question” I say. She sighs and turns to look at me.

“He and Elena tricked me into a blind date at lunch” she says. They did what. “Hey don’t shout” she says. “Sorry I didn’t mean to” I say. I didn’t mean to say that out loud. “They meant well in their own way, I guess” she says.

“So what was he like” I ask looking at my hands. “Who said it was a guy?” she says and I look at her. “I’m kidding. Ha you should have seen your face” she says and I grab her legs and swing them onto my lap. “Do you think this is funny” I say tickling her feet. She twist her feet and laughs. “Stop, stop, stop” she laughs and I stop but rest my hand on her ankles.

“So tell me. What was he like?” I ask. “Mr. Perfect you mean” she says tilting her head. “Anything but. He talked about himself the whole time. It was so embarrassing. Picture this” she says laying back down on the couch as I message her feet. “Elena comes to my office saying we must go for lunch today not taking no for an answer. As we sit in the restaurant Josh arrives with this guy in a suit. He says he’s surprised to see us and takes a seat next to Elena” she says.

“Leaving the guy sit beside you” I add. “Exactly. Then Josh gets a text saying he was needed back in the office and leaves. Then Elena suddenly remembers she had to be somewhere” she says. “Total set up” I say. “Total nightmare more like. Then it was just me and him” she says.

“So what happened after Elena left?” I ask looking at Marcosa on the floor. “He tried to feel me up” she says and I grip her ankle. “Ow that hurt” she says. “Sorry” I say gently rubbing her ankle. “What did you do?” I ask. “Told him never to speak to me again and if he ever touched me again lunch would be last thing he would eat” she says and I let out the breath I didn’t know I was holding.

“Anyway enough about my day. It won’t be something I will be remembering again. How was your day?” she asks. “It just got better actually” I say rubbing her calf. “Why is that?” she says sitting up so our heads were close. “This” I say and bend down to brush my lips against hers.

She wraps her arms around my neck as the kiss deepens. A song breaks us apart. Shit my phone. “You should get that” Lucy whispers to me. I nod and take my hand of her leg and pick up the phone. “I’m going to get changed” Lucy whispers as she stands up.

“This better be important” I say into the phone as I watch Lucy climb the stairs with Marocsa following her.
♠ ♠ ♠
So Cristiano and Lucy get some time alone together. Was Cristiano jealous? What do you think?

Thanks to kalamnamuhs123 and Jayme112234 for their comments.

Remember to comment and subscribe.