Status: Complete

When Does the Pretending End?

Chapter 63 - Help From A Friend

Lucy’s Pov

“What is your name?” Dolores ask her son. “Sorry” he says. “You head me. I want to make sure you are alright” she says. “Máe” he groans. I resist a laugh. “Humour your mother” I whisper into his ear. “Fine. My name is Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro. Satisfied” he says. “Don’t be smart. How many brothers do you have?” she asks. “One too many” he mumbles. “Cristiano” Dolores yells. Even I know that she wouldn’t like that answer I think shaking my head.

“Lucy” Dolores says and I look up from my lap. “Don’t worry. How could I forget my beautiful girlfriend, Máe” Cristiano says and kisses my forehead wrapping his around my waist. Wait what did I miss?

“So you were worried about me huh” he says facing me. Maybe a little I think. “Did the doctor look at you?” I ask. “He did. That’s why I was so late in getting back” he says. “Dolores was a little mad” I say “Yeah. I guess she won’t be willing to wake up in the middle of the night to check on me huh” he says. “I’m she would” I say. “But” I continue. “But what?” he asks holding my waist. I move my arms around his neck. “But I think you should let her sleep” I say. “I think you are right” he says trying not to grin. “Know anyone who would do it instead?” he asks kissing my nose. I giggle when he does that.

“I guess I could do it” I say. “Mmm I don’t know. I don’t know if I could handle you grumpy in the morning because you got awoken during the night” he says. What the hell?

“Hey I’m not grumpy in the morning” I say. “I’m kidding” he says pulling me back against him.
“You sure your head is ok?” I ask tracing his stiches with my finger. “Just a little sore. But you can kiss it better if you like” he says smirking at me. I kiss his forehead. “Better” I say. “A little. Maybe here” he says pointing to his cheek. I know what you are doing I smile kissing the cheek. “Better now” I say. “I’m not sure” he says and pulls me closer to him. The leg of his trousers suit rubbed against my bare skin. “What did the doctor say to do?” I ask. “Well Rio thought you might play nurse to me” he says. “Did he now. And would that involve wearing a nurses outfit” I say. He looks at my legs and I feel his fingers run down my side and down to my leg. “Maybe” he says. “Maybe another time” I say kissing him quickly. I need to get away from him. Before I wanted more than a quick kiss.

The following day I did some work and was now trying to decide what to wear for dinner tonight. My phone rings. “Tina” I say answering it. “Hey Luce. How are you?” she says. “Better now I’m talking to you. How are you?” I ask. “Good, good. But no talk about me. I just spent an hour talking with Dad. I need something else to talk about” she says. I look in the mirror and see my reflection. “Ok. Maybe you could help me” I say. “Anything” she says. “Ok what do you wear to dinner with people you have never met but you kind of know what they are like” I say. “Could you speak English please” she says laughing. “I’m trying to choose something to wear” I say. “Dinner with people you have never met but sort of know. Ok so I guess you want them to like you” she says.

“Yes” I say. Wait do I want them to like me. It’s not like I’m going to see them ever again.
“Are they clients?” she asks. “Kind of” I lie. “But I don’t want to wear business clothes” I say quickly. “Do you have that black jumper dress with the sparkles? You know the one I will be borrowing when I get back to Manchester” she says laughing. “When do you think that will be? I mean when will you be coming back to Manchester?” I ask finding the dress. “Soon I hope” she says. “Me too” I say.

“So back to the clothes” Tina says. “Ok. I have the dress. So black tights and heels or boots” I ask. “Ankle boots” she says. “Have them” I say. “You sound like you are sorted” she says. “I think I am” I say my stomach already in knots. “Well have fun” Tina says. “Wait you are going?” I say. “Ya I’ve been on the phone a bit too long. They won’t be happy with me” she says. “Oh ok. I’ll talk to you soon, though. Won’t I?” I ask. “Soon. Have fun at dinner” she says hanging up.

“Lucy are you nearly ready?” Cristiano says knocking at the closet door. I tie the knot on my robe.”Nearly” I say as the door opens. “Nearly” he says smirking at me. “I know, I know. Two minutes. And I’ll be ready ok” I say walking towards him. “Nuno found your note” he says. “He better not eat that cake” I say. “Even Nuno isn’t that stupid” Cristiano says looking at me. “You wearing that” he says looking at my robe. “I’m not sure. Do you think Rio and Wayne would mind me wearing it” I say and he frowns. “We should be leaving soon” he snaps. “I’m getting dressed now. And you’re not changed yet either” I say running to the bathroom.

“Relax Lucy. It’s just dinner” I say quietly to myself as I finish my make-up. Why do I feel so nervous? “Lucy” Cristiano shouts. “All done” I say opening the bathroom door. “Finally. Rio has already texted me three times reminding me about tonight. He is so….” he says standing up from the side of the bed. “What? Is this not ok?” I ask looking down at my dress. “No, no. You look” he stops talking and just stares at me. “How do I look?” I ask. I thought I looked ok in the mirror I think.

“You look beautiful” he says coming closer to me. Oh good. “Thank you” I say. I grab my purse. “Ok let’s go” I say. “In a minute” he says looking at me. “We don’t want to be late” I say tapping him with my purse. “Could you tie this for me” I ask holding my 7 necklace. “Of course” he says taking the two ends of the necklace. “Perfect” he says as we look at each other through the mirror. His hands move across my shoulders and down to my side. His lips touch the back of my neck as his hands move along my side. His phone buzzes. “Time to go” I say and I grab his hand and pull him towards the door.

“Have fun you two” Dolores says as we descend the stairs. “We will” Cristiano says taking my hand in his. “Don’t worry I didn’t eat any of it” Nuno says appearing with the cake that I had made yesterday. “Thank you Nuno” I say letting go of Cristiano’s hand and I take the cake from Nuno. “Have fun. Remember to show off your girlfriend Cris” Nuno says smirking at Cris as Dolores leaves the room on the phone. I shake my head. “And to think I was going to tell you where you could find some brownies” I say to Nuno and Cris smirks at him.

As we sit in the car on the short drive to Wayne’s house my stomach is in knots. “Hey it will be ok” Cris says placing his hand on my shaking knee. I look at him and give him a smile. “Ready” he asks as the car comes to a stop. I nod and he opens his door and gets out of the car. “How did you get into this Lucy Smith” I mumble quietly. My door opens and Cris extends his hand. I pass his the cake and get out fixing my dress.

“One dinner” he says as I notice the front door of the huge house open.

“Let’s do this” I say and walk towards the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Should Lucy be nervous?

Thanks to Jayme112234 and kalamnamuhs123 for their comments.