Status: Complete

When Does the Pretending End?

Chapter 74 - Telling Her Side Of The Story

Lucy’s Pov

My heart is racing. A feeling off sick begins to form In the pit of my stomach. How could? Why would?

I stare at him in shock. “What are you doing here? I say in utter shock at the man standing in my office. The last person I thought I’d see here would have been him. I can feel Josh and Matt’s eyes on me and turn to see that their eyes are firmly on the Portuguese man standing in front of us.

“I brought you some lunch” Cristiano says as I move nearer to him. Suddenly he pulls me towards him and kisses me. As his lips touch mine, my brain feels like its in over drive. Thoughts are running around my head. I push him away and just stand.

“That’s nice” Josh says breaking the silence in the room. “There’s enough for you two” Cristiano says.

“Thanks. Right I think we are done. We’ll talk later” Josh says to me. “I’m sure we will” I say. “You can count on it” he says leaving the room. My heart sinks as he leaves the room. How do I explain Cristiano? I might have been able to make something up if he hadn’t kissed me. He’s probably already phoning Elena. I’m going to have to tell them the truth. They’re going to hate me.

“What the fuck was that” I shout. “I just brought you lunch” he says. “Lunch are you kidding me. What on earth are you doing here, at my place of work? And why the hell did you kiss me in front of them?” I yell.

“Do you know what I am going to have to listen to later? Josh is already probably telling Elena. And what if they tell Tina? How do I tell her why I’m even talking to you not to mind pretending to date you” I yell walking up and down behind my desk.

“I didn’t think” he says. “You don’t say” I reply. “And you didn’t once think of stopping him” I yell at Nuno.

“The one thing that was never meant to happen. None of my friends were meant to find out. Do you know what’s it going to be like telling Josh and Elena the truth. I’ve been lying to them for weeks” I say sitting in my chair.

“Lucy, I sorry” he says. “Don’t” I say. I don’t want to hear a thing from him. “I’m on my way” I say into the phone when it rings. “I’m sure you can find your own way out” I say over my shoulder and walk out of my office.

I don’t think I’ve ever been so mad. I’ve played the dutiful girlfriend, hanging around his family. I even met his fucking teammates. I only wanted to help my friend. Why would he do this? Why did he kiss me?

Work is the last thing on my mind for the rest of the day. Josh and Matt both stayed away from me for the rest of the day. I still can’t think about what I’m going to say to Josh.

The phone rings. And rings. And rings. Numerous missed calls on my phone. Some from Nuno and Elma. Mostly from Cristiano. “Something tells me I shouldn’t count you in for dinner” a text reads from Nuno.

If I went to that house right now I would shove that dinner somewhere I think. Maybe I should go? Maybe Dolores should know all about her son? Hope he has a break up story thought of because his going to be needing one a lot sooner that he thought.

Buzz. Buzz. Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. “I’m coming” I shout in my empty apartment. The moment I’ve been dreading. I press the buzzer. “It’s us. Let us up” Elena says.

“Get the glasses and opener” Josh says walking into my living room. I walk to where they sit on the couch and take a seat on the chair opposite. As Josh opens the bottle and pours the wine, I try to think what I’m going to say.

“Now let’s talk” Elena says leaning back against the couch with her glass in her hand. “How come I miss all the fun?” she asks. “It wasn’t fun” I say. “It was quite a scene” Josh says. “Don’t rub it in. How come I miss all the good stuff” Elena says.

“No one was meant to see anything” I say. “I think you have some explaining to do” Josh says.

“Like how did you go from wanting to hit the guy to kissing him” Elena says.

I down the wine in my glass. I’ve lied enough. I should tell them the truth.

“Ok I’ll tell you, but please let me talk. Don’t interrupt” I beg and they both nod. “Ok” I take a deep breath. “That day at the police station, you said” I indicate to Elena “that if Cristiano wouldn’t press charges against Tina, things might be easier for her. So I went to speak to him. Long story short his cousin came up with this idea that I would pretend to be his girlfriend and he’d drop any charges against Tina” I say.

“Why would he want you to pretend to be his girlfriend?” Josh asks. “To stop his family from complaining about this taste in women and other things” I say. “So it’s pretend?” Elena asks. “Yes. I’m not dating him. It’s just a show in front of his family” I say.

“Why did he kiss you today so?” Josh asks. “I don’t know. But nothing is going on between us” I say. “So this has been going on since September” Josh says and I nod, “Why would you do it?” Josh asks. “I told you why. I did it for Tina. And it helped. He dropped the charges and she didn’t get a criminal record” I say.

“Lucy, you should have told us” Josh says. “I didn’t know how” I say.

“So you’ve been hanging around his family” Elena says. “Yes. That’s why I’ve been so busy. I haven’t been at my place for a while” I say.

“So you kiss” Elena says. “Only for his family. It needs to look real if they are going to believe I’m his girlfriend.

“Do you sleep in his bed?” Elena asks. I reach for the bottle. “Oh my God. You do” she says.

“Have you slept with him?” Josh asks. “No. Hell no” I say. “Why not?” Elena asks. “Elena” Josh says.

“What if he asked me to sleep with him, I’d say yes” Elena says laughing. “Think we need some food before she gets anymore tipsy” Josh says heading to the kitchen for a pizza menu.

“Do you want to?” Elena asks when Josh moves away from the couch. “Do I want to what?” I say. “Sleep with him” she says. “Elena it’s fake. I just wanted to help Tina. And I did. He kept his side of the deal and I’m keeping mine.” I say. “Well I was” I say heading to where Josh stood.

“You should have talked to us?” Josh says. “Only for that idiot today you would never have found out” I say. “Exactly what was the plan?” he asks. “I spend time with his family. Act like he’s a great boyfriend. Then he tells them and the others that we broke up” I say. “What others?” Elena asks from the couch. “I has the misfortune to arrive early at his house and ended up meeting some of his teammates” I say.

“So much for only acting like his girlfriend in front of his family” Elena says. “That was my reaction. I wasn’t really happy then” I say. “Have you met the wags?” she asks. Typical Elena wanting to know everything. “Some yes. And they’re lovely” I say.

“I can’t believe you have been hiding a secret like this from us” Josh says. “I know. And I’m sorry. I’ve hated lying you both. I’ve hated lying to Cristiano’s family. I’ve hated not having Tina around. I’ve hated all of this” I say. The door buzzes. “That’s the pizza” Josh says moving towards the door.

“Is that him” Elena asks as I cancel the call ringing on my phone. “Yes” I say. “He sounds eager to talk to you” she says. “Well he’ll be waiting” I say. She laughs. “What’s so funny?” Josh asks placing the pizza on the coffee table. “You tell me” I say. “It’s just that Lucy couldn’t stand him when they first met. I just can’t imagine you acting like his girlfriend” Elena says.

“It isn’t as bad as you think” I say. Elena and Josh share a look. “Don’t over thing that. Cristiano isn’t that bad. Well that was before today” I say picking up a slice of pizza. “His family are lovely. I’ve like been around them. He adores them. I guess it has been nice to be part of a family again” I say my voice wavering. “Oh Lucy” Josh says and a wave my hand at him. “I’m ok” I say.

“What are you going to do now?” Josh asks. “Eat some pizza. Drink some more wine” I say. “You know what I mean?” he asks.

“I’m done” I say.
♠ ♠ ♠
Is Lucy done with her arrangement with Cristiano?

Most people think Lucy is slightly over reacting and Cristiano was only being nice. Find out why she was so angry next.

Thanks to Jayme112234, ariana_aemming and kalamnamuhs123 for their comments.