Status: Complete

When Does the Pretending End?

Chapter 78- Surprise Gift

Lucy’s Pov

As I twist my necklace between my thumbs, I can't stop thinking about last night. "Your not like your mother" he had said. Was he right? I was angry at him. At myself mostly. Oh everything is a mess.

As I closed the door, locking myself into my room. I slide down the door. Tears flowing down my face. I couldn't breathe thinking about the mess I was in. As I tried to sleep, images kept running through my head. Cris must think I've gone mad. He looked so shocked when I led him to my room. He wasn't the only one. I don't know why but I felt better having him with me. The images stopped in my head,

“So have you had any visitors today” Elena says standing at my office door. “Nope" I say putting my necklace under my top. "Thankfully” I say. “So is that footie hunk still breathing” she asks. “Yes” I say.

“Well since Josh is a little preoccupied” she says. “I don’t think he’ll leave his phone out of his sight for the rest of the day until hear how Tina’s day went” I say. He’s not the only one I think.
“Which is why I think we should forget everything else and blaming yourself “she says.

“You sound like Cristiano” I say. “And you think he doesn’t listen to you” she mutters. I roll my eyes at her.

“Now since you don’t want to talk about footie boy and talk about how the hell I’m going to cope at dinner with Jack tonight” she says and throws herself on the chair. “It’s a big deal. First date out in public” I smirk and she frowns. “Relax. It will be great. I thought this is what you wanted” I say. “Ya but I’m dreading everyone at work finding out” she says.

“Getting caught out can be a bit of a drag” I say. “Are you telling me you wish you never got caught out yesterday? Don’t tell me you wanted him all to yourself” she says with a laugh. “It’s not like…………”I sputter.

“Sorry to interrupt” Elaine the receptionist says knocking and opening the door. “There’s a package for you” she says leaving a large box on my desk. “Thanks Elaine” I say as she walks back through the door. “What is it?” Elena asks. “I don’t know. I wasn’t expecting anything” I say.

“Well hurry up and open then, so we can see what’s inside” she says and begins to open the wrapping. I help her and soon I lift open the box. I open back the paper. “What is it?” Elena asks as I pull out the contents of the box. “Wow” she says when I hold up the dress. “Where did it come from?” she asks. “I have no idea” I say and notice a card in the box.

“Something to dance the night away. C xxxx” I read out loud.

“Talk about having all the luck. You aren’t even dating the guy and he’s sending you gifts” Elena says.
“He’s trying to get me not to back out of our arrangement. And if he thinks a D&G dress is going to work, then he better think again” I say looking for my phone.

“Guess what’s sitting on my desk” I say when he answers. “Well hello to you too” he says. “Do you honestly think you can buy me off with a dress” I say. “What are you talking about?” he asks. “I’m talking about the dress that is currently laying on my desk” I say.

“Shit” I hear him mumble. “I forgot about it” he says. “What do you mean?” I ask. How could he forget something he ordered today?

“I ordered it on Tuesday. I forgot I asked for it to be sent today” he says. “But how?” I ask. “I say you looking at it in a magazine last week. I thought. I don’t know what I thought” he says.

“Cris” I say. “Ya” he replies. “Thank you for the dress. It’s gorgeous” I say. “Your welcome” he says a hint of relief in his voice. “Are you still angry?” he asks. I look at the dress. Tuesday. “More like mad” I say.

“OK” he says. “Bye” I say. “Bye. And Lucy” he says. “Ya” I say. “For the record. You’re the one who would make the dress gorgeous” he says before the phone goes dead.

“So he ordered the dress before he upset you yesterday, I take it” Elena says smirking. “Apparently so” I say. “Feel a little guilty. Don’t you?” she asks. “Sort of” I say. “It’s a beautiful dress” she says. And I didn’t have to tell him I liked it I think.

My phone rings and I see its Coleen. "Hello" I say. "Hey its me Coleen. Look I was just wondering and I really mean hoping that you might come for dinner tonight with me and the girls tonight" she says. "Am" I say. "Go on you know you want to" she says.

"Who is it?" Elena asks. "Can you give me a second" I say into the phone. "Its Coleen. She was me to go out with her and the other girls tonight" I say holding the phone against my shoulder. "So" she says. "I don't know what to say" I say to her. "Tell her yes. You need a night out. Like yesterday" Elena says.

"I don't know" I say. "It would be shame not to wear this dress somewhere nice. Although if you don't want it, i'm happy to take it" she says holding the dress in her hands.

"Sorry Coleen, I'm back. I'd love to go tonight" I say to her and she sounds happy with my answer as we hang up.

"Don't even think about taking my dress" I say.
♠ ♠ ♠
So Cristiano is surprising Lucy with even more gifts. Does Lucy like it more than she is letting on? Lucy is having a night out with the Wags. How will it go?

Thanks to kalamnamuhs123 and Jayme112234 for their comments.