Status: Complete

When Does the Pretending End?

Chapter 8- Couldn't I?

Lucy's Pov

I look at the clock it reads 5.30. Lying on my back my head staring at the ceiling, I try to grasp the day or previous day as it was events. No more so then the most insulting offer I have ever received. The asshole who did he think he was. Does he really think all he has to do he click his fingers and I’ll jump into bed with him. How could he use my desperation at helping Tina?

He showed no emotion when he said. Like it was an everyday occurrence. I mean could I do it? I sit up knowing sleep was lost. Would it be that simple? I sleep with Cristiano and Tina doesn’t go to jail. I shake my head there was no guarantee. I get out of bed and head towards the kitchen. I pass Tina’s bedroom and go inside. She hadn’t spent that much time here recently. She was on holiday with Mich “meeting new people and having new experiences” she had said. I pick up the photo frame on her bedside table. I cry as I take in the picture of the two of us on my sixteenth birthday. It seems so long ago now. She looked like a total different person now. “Lucy, I’m so sorry, please help me” she screamed at me yesterday when Elena managed to get me in to see her. Her helpless face. How was I going to help?

I need to let of some steam. Thankfully my gym opens really early. I decide to hit the punch bag. It didn’t feel as good as the slap I gave Cristiano yesterday. I should have hit him harder I grumble as I hit the bag again. Just before 8 I arrive at work. Tina’s been released at lunch time and I know helping her brother Josh at work kind of my way of helping. “Hey, your in early” I say to him as I enter his office. He’s sitting behind his desk tapping away on his laptop. “Work is helping take my mind of all Tina’s mess” he says. “Is everything organised for her to go to rehab” I say as I sit on his red couch. The couch usually makes me laugh when I see it but today it has no effect on me. “Yes. Are you coming this afternoon” he asks. “Of course I will Josh” I say “it will be all alright in the end”.

After a busy morning, I head to police station. Everything that happens next is a blur. Before I know it Tina is screaming at me begging me to help her. She’s pulling at me “don’t let them do this” she shouts as her father pulls her towards the car. Josh puts his hand around my waist “she’ll get the help she needs” he whispers. I look up at him and he kisses my forehead. “It’s the Ronaldo business that may be harder to sort out” he says.

We spend the next while discussing what meetings he wanted me to cove for the rest of the week since he planned to go to London to help his father and to make sure Tina was ok. “Should I expect a visit from your boyfriend soon” I hear a voice say a few minutes after Josh left. I look up to see Cristiano. ”He’s not my boyfriend” I say and “I don’t need anyone to defend me, I’m well able to do that myself” I say. “Ya I got that” pointing to his cheek. And continued “You two just look at bit cosy”. “He’s Tina’s’ brother and my boss not that it’s any of your business” I say. “How are you doing?” he asks.

I look him straight in the eyes “Well lets see”…. I begin to pace up and down….”my closet friend has been arrested, is facing jail time, has taken drugs, oh and not for the first time apparently, I’ve barely slept, I’m now covering my boss’s work so he can deal with his sister and to top it all off I had a guy try to treat me like a prostitute” I stop right in front of him “does that answer your question, darling” I grin. See how like you been called darling I think. We say nothing. I think back to Tina’s face. She won’t be able to handle jail. I know it.

I feel sick as the words leave my mouth. “I’ll do it” I say.

He looked surprised. I could tell that was the last thing he was expecting me to say. “And you’ll drop the charges against Tina” I continue. I keep talking. I want talk before he interrupts me. “When?” he asks. “As soon as possible” I reply. “Tonight” I hear him say. I can’t look at him and just nod. “I can pick you up” he asks. “No I’ll drive myself” I say. That way I can get out as soon as possible. He gives me his address and we agree to meet at eight. I quickly get into my car before I change my mind.

It was only going to be one time. I could do that for Tina. To stop her and her family from suffering anymore. Couldn’t i?
♠ ♠ ♠
What will happen later on that night?