Status: Complete

When Does the Pretending End?

Chapter 90- What Do You Want?

Cristiano’s Pov

“Lucy are you ready yet?” I shout through the bathroom door. “The sooner we go the sooner we are back” I say moving to sit on the bed. Another dinner. I swear eating is the only thing we’ve done this week. “I’m almost ready” Lucy says peeking her head out through a small opening in the door. I groan. Bet she’s not even dressed yet I think. “It’s not my fault Rodrigo wouldn’t go to sleep if I didn’t read him a story. Zé isn’t as good as me” she says closing the door.

“How come he gets to stay at home” I ask loud enough for her to hear me. Lucky Zé. I was looking forward to just relaxing with Lucy tonight. The two of us were playing with Rodrigo after I got home from the match when Katia informed us that we were all going for dinner.

“He’s minding his son” she says opening the door a little to pop her head out once more. “Why don’t we stay and watch him and Zé can go out instead” I say. “Because your sister decided that she wanted to spend time with her mother and siblings” she says holding a hair brush near her head. “I’m only going because I reminded your mother that she wouldn’t see me for a while and of course I had to come” she says smiling. “Plus someone has to make sure you don’t stab Hugo with a steak knife” she says laughing.

“Where is Nuno going anyway? There is no way he is only meeting a friend” she asks disappearing back into the bathroom. “Why do you say that?” I ask. “Because a guy doesn’t wear that much aftershave for a night with his mates” she says. “He may have met a girl” I say laying down flat on the bed. I hear the door open. “And you’re just telling me this now. What’s her name? Where did he meet her? What’s she like?” she asks sounding like a sixteen year old girl. I laugh. “I don’t know. All I know is he’s been chatting to some girl and he seems to like her. Plus if he’s busy with his love life, he’ll stay out of mine” I say.

“Now him coming up with this plan for me to be your pretend girlfriend hasn’t been that bad. For one I took that smile of Hugo’s face and beaten you at pool” she says. And put a smile on my face I think.

“Do we really have to go tonight?” I ask. “Yes” she says and I throw my arm over my eyes. “Your mother really likes this idea of one last meal before how did she put it. Oh ya before everyone gets back to their own lives and start ignoring her again” she says. “You’ve met my mother she’s hard to ignore. “We could say the car wouldn’t start” I say. “And what about the other two cars sitting in the driveway. Plus your mother is going to the restaurant with us. And more importantly, I’m not wasting this dress” she says. I sit up to see her standing at the dresser. Her long black hair is styled up. The purple one shoulder dress is moulded around her body showing every delightful inch of her curves. And the bare legs. The legs.

“Will I do?” she asks smiling at my reaction in the mirror as she clasps her 7 necklace back around her neck. “You look” I say but can’t get the words out. “It’s not too much?” she asks. “You look breath taking” I say. Absolutely breath taking I think as I fall back onto my back once more.

“Flattery won’t make me change my mind and stay in tonight. Come on your mother is waiting for us” she says grabbing my hand and pulling me up so I’m sitting up again. “It’s not flattery if it’s the truth” I say and stand up to catch her arm and twirl her back towards me and not the door. She lets out a giggle. “What was are you doing?” she asks as I take one hand of hers into mine and wrap the other around her waist.

“Dance with me?” I ask. “There’s no music” she says. “We don’t need any” I say as we sway together. “What has gotten into you? Your mother told me that you hate to dance” she says resting her head on my chest. “She’s not you” I say resting my chin on top of her head.

“I had fun that night” she says and I know she remembering when we danced in the kitchen. “Me too. Even if I had to let you win the game of the pool” I say and she gives me a small did in the back. “I beat you fair a square” she says. She lifts her head and looks at me. “That day started with the worst blind date ever and ended up been a lot of fun. You even managed to cook me a nice meal” she says. “Guess I’m full of surprises” I say. “Well I’d settle for been full of food. Come on lets go. You know what I’m like if I don’t get fed” she says kissing my cheek and pulling her hand out of mine.

I gently hold her hand as we descend the stairs. The feel of her soft fingers in twined with mine feeling so right. “Enjoy your night” Zé grins from the couch. “You can stop looking so pleased with yourself” I say. “Just my luck to get stuck babysitting and miss out on all the fun” he says. “It’s not babysitting when it’s your own child” Lucy says. “I hope it’s your bed and not mine he comes into at 5 tomorrow morning. Then you won’t be so smug” I say. “Give it up Cris. He likes our bed too much. I left my jacket upstairs. I’ll just run up and get it and tell Dolores that we are ready to go” she says and quickly runs back up the stairs.

“Hey do me a favour and make sure Lucy doesn’t kill Hugo tonight. I want to be there when she does” Zé says. “She’ll have to beat me to it first” I say. “You have to admit it was hot when she defended you to him the other night. Man she is hot” he says. “Yes” I say not liking the fact Zé thought she was hot. He has a wife. He can look at her not Lucy. “Just ignore Hugo. Remember you have one thing that he doesn’t” he says. “And what’s that?” I ask even though I could name a hundred things I have than my brother. “Lucy” he says.

“You know she’s alright. I mean for someone who has you whipped or acting like a lovesick puppy” he says. “Thanks I think” I say.

“Is our driver ready to leave” Maé says and I turn to see Lucy and her linking arms down the stairs. “Your carriage awaits my ladies” I say bowing. Lucy laughs and Zé mutters something under his breath. “See you later, Zé” Lucy says as I watch her and Maé head to the door.

We all sit in a private room of Gusto, making small talk over our starters. “I can’t believe you are all going home tomorrow” Lucy says. “Well I have an appointment early Monday and Zé has too so it just makes sense to go back tomorrow” Elma says. “Surely you are looking forward to seeing the back of us” Katia says. “It’s been nice having you all around” Lucy says playing with her food. I pick up her hand and give it a gentle squeeze. She turns and smiles at me. A phone rings and everyone shifts. “Oh I’m sorry I thought I turned it off” Máe says taking out her phone and switches it off.

“What is it with you and that phone? Every time I look, you are on it” I say. “Just chatting” she says nervously. Since when does Máe get nervous. “To who?” I ask. “Come on bro, she has lots of people to chat to” Hugo says smirking at Máe. “Hugo” Elma says. “What? Máe can talk to who ever she wants” he says. “I know and I’m glad she has friends” I say wondering why all my family were shifting nervously in their seats. “Even special friends” Hugo says taking his fork in his mouth. “What do you mean special?” I ask.

“I don’t you about you, Lucy but I’m looking forward to desert. They do a lovely chocolate cake here” Máe says. “Forget desert. What is Hugo talking about?” I ask. “Come on you found a special friend it’s only fair Máe does” Hugo says and Elma kicks him under the table. “What did you say?” I ask. “Hugo that’s enough” Máe says. “Wait, the consent phone calls and whispers. Have you be seeing someone?” I ask my mother as I feel sick in my stomach.

“Look Cris” Katia says. “Papi has only been dead a year and you’ve already replaced him” I shout. “No one could ever replace your father” Máe says. “How long? How long have you be seeing this man behind all our backs” I ask. “His name is Andrade. And I only met him in October” she says. “October” I yell. “You’ve been keeping this from all of us since then” I say. How could she? “Hey you kept Ms. Sweet thing a secret from us” Hugo says. “Shut the fuck up Hugo. Say another word about Lucy and I won’t have a brother who can talk” I say.

“Cris” Lucy says tugging at my arm. “So come on tell me, where did you meet Andrade? Did you wait for Papi to die before you traded him in” I ask. “Cristiano” Katia and Lucy say together. “Son” Máe says. “Don’t son me. Oh my God. You spent most of Thursday on the phone. You were talking to him. You wanted a special dinner for our father and you spent it talking to your fancy man” I say loudly.

“Cris, Máe didn’t” Elma says. “You all knew” I say looking at my family. “You all knew about this and didn’t tell me” I say. “We didn’t want to upset you. This trip was about meeting Lucy” Katia says. “Did you know?” I ask Lucy. “No I swear” she says taking a hold of my hand. I pull it away. “Cristiano I loved your father” Máe says. “So much you found another man to replace him even before the bugs decomposed his body” I say pushing my chair away from the table.

“Here take this” I say pulling out my credit card from my wallet. “It’s usual the only thing you all want from me anyway” I say knocking my chair as I grab my jacket of the back of the chair and storm out of the room.

“Fuck” I say slapping my hands against my car. I tug my keys out of my jacket and open the door. As I fix my belt the passenger side opens and I look up to see Lucy sliding into the seat. I can’t deal with all of this. Máe and her special friend. My family lying to me. And Lucy. Lucy leaving. I switch on the engine and drive. We don’t speak as I drive. We both stare straight ahead just breathing.

“You’re home early” Zé says as I storm into the house. I ignore him and climb the stairs two steps at a time. When I get to my room, I begin to unbutton my shirt and kick of my shoes. And throw them to the other side of the room.

“They all just think they can forget Papi” I shout. I pull the drawers looking for something to change into. “What are you doing?” a voice asks and I look up to see Lucy standing by the door. “I’m going to the gym” I say grabbing a pair of shorts and trainers. “No your not” she says shutting the door. “Get out of my way Lucy” I say. “No. You can’t keep running to the gym when something is bothering you. You could get hurt and be out for weeks or finish your career” she say she says dropping her purse.

“Move or I’ll make you” I shout. “No you won’t. Because your not going to hurt me” she says. I throw the things in my hands to the ground and place my hands on her shoulders. “You don’t think I’ll hurt you. Really. You want to find out” I say sternly. “You won’t hurt me” she says not blinking. “And you think you know me so well” I say moving my hands of her. “Yes I do” she says.

“Cris please just talk to me. You’ll only hurt yourself in the gym” she says. “And you care?” I ask. “Of course I do” she says. “Why? It’s not you and I are really dating” I say. “Surely after all of this we are friends” she says. “Friends” I say. “Well be a friend and move out of my fucking way so I can beat the shit out of something and pretend it’s the guy my mother loves more than me” I shout. “She doesn’t care about him more than you” Lucy says. “She lied. They all lied. She’s pretended to give a shit about Papa and all this time she has been replacing him” I say.

“I know this all came as a shock” Lucy says watching as I pace the room. “No a shock is finding out that your brother is such an asshole he’ll rub it in your face that then one person in the world you admire more than anyone has been making a fool out of you. No finding about Andre is a hell more something of a shock” I shout. “Cris you need to speak to your mother. She’s upset” Lucy says.

“And what about me” I say. “Why the fuck am I even talking to you? You have nothing to do with all of this. You don’t mean anything” I say. “Cris your angry I understand that, but I’m not going to you fall out with your family over this” she says. “Oh well sorry if you think this isn’t important. We all not speak to our mothers cos they killed our sister” I shout. She gasps and takes a step back. I see her body begin to shake. “That was totally out of order” she says and her eyes are filled with hurt.

”I’m sorry” I say. She shakes her head. “Not good enough. Do you know how much of a hypocrite you are being right now” she yells. “Excuse me” I say as she pulls off her heels. “You have done nothing but rant and rave about them all lying to you. Have you forgotten about the big fat lie that you’ve been telling” she says opening and shutting drawers. “That’s different” I say. “How? How is it different? You’re such an idiot. I know you are hurting. But what you said to your mother was out of line. You really hurt her. Not to mind me” she says.

“Why do you care? I don’t know why I’m even discussing this with you. You have made it perfectly clear how much you can’t wait for our arrangement to end” I yell. “I’ve been here for weeks. I’ve seen you with your family. Forgive me if I don’t want you to do something that you’ll regret. Just forget it. Go to the gym. Do whatever the fuck you want” she says and in a blink of an eye she’s slammed the bathroom door closed behind her.

“Fine” I shout after her and head to the bedroom door. “Fuck. Fuck” I say closing the door loudly. Why did I say that? I rest my forehead against the door. I hate to see her upset. I need to talk to her. I sit on the couch and look at the closed door. Fifteen minutes later and still no sign of Lucy coming out of the bathroom, I’m just about to go see if she’s ok, when the door flies open.

She doesn’t notice me or at least she’s acting like that, as she grabs things out of the drawers and shoves them into a bag as she wipes her cheek. “What are you doing?” I ask. She jumps on hearing my voice. “What does it look like?” she shouts as she continues to shove clothes into the bag. “Stop that” I say quickly walking to her. “Just get out. Go to the gym. Go find someone else to shout at. Go somewhere anywhere but here” she shouts and turns her back to me. “Lucy” I say touching her shoulder. She shrugs it away. “After everything I’ve done for you. You just. Just leave. Find somewhere else to sleep tonight. Come the morning, I’m gone. You can explain to your family. That’s if there are even speaking to you” she mumble through tears.

“Lucy” I say turning her towards me. “Don’t” she says throwing the bag at my feet. “Please don’t cry” I say reaching to pull her closer to me. She fights my attempts to hold her but eventually relents. “I never want to make you cry” I whisper wrapping my arms around her and her tears flow. “I’m so sorry. You’re the one person that I never want to hurt. Please don’t cry” I plead lifting her chin. I wipe the tears of her cheek. “Words are easy to say” she says and pulls away from me. “I mean it. I’ sorry about all of this” I say grabbing her hand and kissing her wrist. “I just” I say. “Just what? What do you want Cristiano? Haven’t I played the, what Cristiano wants long enough” she asks.

I let her wrist go. I run my hand through my hair. “I just want everything to be normal. I just want my Papi here. I want to like my brother again. I want…..” I say looking at her. “You just want what? Spill it out” she shouts. “I just want you” I shout and crash my mouth against hers.
♠ ♠ ♠
So Cristiano has the one thing his brother doesn't have, Lucy according to Zé. Now that Cris has admitted he wants her, will their fight affect them? Will Lucy stop them kissing? Or will more happen? Did Cris overreact to his mother's news?

As always let me know what was your favourite part?

Thanks to kalamnamuhs123, Jayme112234, and ariana_aemming for all their comments.