I'll Be There for You

One

Well, here I am. Stuck in the same stupid classroom as last year. You would think that the district would understand that making me take the same class again isn't going to make me even think of doing the freaking classwork. But no, they insist on making me take this class again. Who cares about history, anyway? They did their thing, let's leave it at that and let them rest in peace. we learn about the American Revolution every year, anyway. We get it; the British had a great navy, and we wiped them out and gained independence. That's great and all, but it kind of loses it's awesomeness and I lose my patience when you shove it down our throats every year.

"Katherine, keep your head up," says the history teacher from Hell, Mrs. Lionel. She's this old lady, who has to be at least a century old. She's also mean, judgmental, and bigoted. In other words, everything I've been trying to avoid dealing with this year. However, fate will have it that I'm stuck with these people, or God just has a bad sense of humor. Either way, I'm not amused.

I ignored her and pressed play on my phone, and started watching the newest Your Grammar Sucks. It was one of my favorite things Jack's ever done, and it had just came out. On a different note, the wifi in our foster home sucked, so I was stuck on the school's wifi. You know it's bad when a high school has better wifi than you do.

"Katherine Reynolds, if I see you with your head down one more time, you're going to the principal's office." Mrs. L threatened. I shrugged in response and otherwise ignored her. I heard her footsteps coming down the row of desks, and I stealthily paused the video and exited Youtube before turning my phone off and taking my earphones out. We had a big classroom, which is why it took her so long to get to me. I was strategically placed in the second row from the back.

"Put your head up." she said when she got to me. I slowly lifted my head like she asked, before pushing my glasses up on my face. I would've rather had contacts, but my foster mom just blew me off. I didn't care much anyway. Five more years and I can move out and do what I want.

"Are you done now, Mrs. L?" I asked, sarcasm evident. There was a fire in her eyes, like the fire of one hundred angry punk rockers was trapped behind them. "Are you done giving me an attitude? Or am I going to have to send you to the principal?" she asked. I shrugged. "I don't really care anyway," I said. All these teachers gave us were empty threats. They act all intimidating and scary, but the truth is they just don't want to deal with you. I learned that last year, and I've been playing off of it ever since.

She scoffed and shuffled away from me and back to the smart board. I looked up at the clock that hung to the wall. We only had about thirty minutes of class left until lunch. But to be honest, I didn't want to go to lunch. I didn't have many friends, if any. I only had one friend, and he was gone. He wasn't going to come back.

I took a deep breath and put my head back on the desk. I couldn't start doing this now. Not in this class, anyway. I put on my mask, the one that shows no emotion and pretends not to care, and rested my head on my arm.

Thirty minutes came and went, and I ran down to the lunchroom. They were serving pizza today, and I wasn't going to miss out on that. I mean, it's pizza. Come on.

A foot flew out at me and caused me to fall face first onto the linoleum floor, thankfully not breaking my glasses, although they fell off my face. I looked up at the kid who tripped me, and saw none other than Melani Token, my "sister", smirking down at me.

"Watch where you're going, dumbass." she said as her friends laughed. I growled at her and picked up my glasses and phone and walked away. I hated her. I had to room with her at my foster home, which I knew was temporary. They always were. Either the parents didn't like me, I somehow found a way to screw everything up, or, in one case, they were abusive and not ready to be parents. I've never been permanently adopted, and I don't think I ever will be.

.........

"Kat! Someone's here for adoption! You could get adopted!" one of the kids, a twelve year old boy named Adam yelled. My head perked up and I raced him to the stairway so we could spy on the person who was adopting. I could hear our foster mom talking to the person, but I couldn't see who it was.

"That guy looks familiar." Adam remarked. Curiosity got the better of me, I made the decision to start making my way down the stairs to see who it was that was so familiar. Our foster mom was talking to the person about legal documents and responsibilities, boring adult stuff.

"Kat," Adam whispered, "Don't. You'll get in trouble." I blew him off and peeked around the corner at the two adults. When I saw who she was talking to, I put my hand up to my mouth to keep myself from screaming.

Standing in the doorway was none other than Toby Turner.