Status: Completed. Thank you for reading.

Dark Waters

More of a Motivation

Sigrid

..::~^~::..

I sat on a hidden part of the docks of Riften, just outside the gates. I was playing with sparks, letting the electricity flow to my fingertips. I examined a fish in the water, and let the energy flow towards it. It drowned slowly, and I sighed heavily. I’d requested to join the guild, to be put to my test. Brynjolf said he’d be talking to the other members about it, but has since been distant. The other members had been nothing but wonderful, and Melvin had been telling me stories about many of his heists. About his many travels with Cynric, and the other now dead members. He was away now on a mission with Vex, leaving me with the remaining members.

“So is this where you go?” I heard Niruin approaching me. I looked up at him as he sat down next to me, and I let my eyes linger back towards the water.

“It is,” I said, not saying much. Niruin had been distant since I first came here, probably because of the murders, because Vitrin left again without saying anything.

“It’s calming,” he commented, and part of my lip tweaked up, “I can see why you come here so much.” I rested my head on my knee, and looked over towards him.

“I have much to think about,” I admitted, and he smiled slightly.

“Don’t we all? Melvin told me you asked Brynjolf to join the Guild,” he said, and I bowed my head slightly to acknowledge that he was right.

“Any words on that?” I asked, and he sighed slightly.

“He has not said anything, but I will speak with him,” he promised, “I guess he just fears that you’d leave, like…” his sentence broke off, but I knew who he was talking about.

“Vitrin,” I finished for him, and he nodded his head slowly. I could see where they were coming from, “I play on killing Alduin. Defeating him and stopping the dragons,” I made my intentions perfectly clear in a harsh and stern tone, but then softened up. I could feel tears threatening, but I wouldn’t let them fall, “and then, I’ll have nowhere to go,” I said, causing Niruin to look at me with sorrow. He put a comforting hand on my shoulder.

“You’ll always have a place in the Guild, Sigrid,” he assured me, and caused me to smile, “we’re all like family, and with a little trust, you can go a long way here. As I said, I’ll talk to Brynjolf about it. I’m sure he has no objections about it,” his voice was calming, and I felt more at ease.

“That’s sweet, Niruin,” I said, letting my leg drop back down. My feet barely hit the water.

“You know, you don’t have to go on these missions alone,” he said, and I wasn’t really sure of what he meant. I looked at him, raising an eyebrow.

“What do you mean? Certainly, you’re not offering to come with me?” I said. I in no way doubted that Niruin could hold his own very well, but if he’d come with me, and somehow ended up not coming back, I’d hold myself responsible, and I’m sure the Guild would as well. They couldn’t lose another person. I had no choice but to let him know that he couldn’t come with me.

“Well of course. I’m sure you’re figuring out these marvelous mysterious, and experiencing amazing things. I’d love to join you,” he offered. I looked away, trying to choose my words wisely.

“I don’t want to be the reason you don’t come home,” I said softly, looking back down towards the water, which rippled softly from the wind.

“And if I don’t, it’s no fault but my own,” he said, and I shook my head.

“If you don’t come back, it’s because I allowed you to accompany me in the first place,” I retorted.

“I want to come,” he said finally, while standing up, “and you can’t tell me not to come, because of free will,” he said, and gave me another soft smile, “Now, I’ll go speak with Brynjolf about your joining.” He had left me without words, and had pushed away the thought of not coming with me. I stared into the water, trying to think about where I’d find the shout that would grant me my true wish. In the past month, I’d been through many ruins, in the hopes of finding this scroll. Deep down, I knew that it wouldn’t come easily for me. I also knew that over thinking this would be the death of me, and I had to get my mind on something else. I stood up, and headed towards the canal that led into Riften, where I entered through the Ratway, and headed towards the Ragged Flagon. Brynjolf had seemed to be waiting for me.

“May I speak with you?” he asked, and I nodded. He led me to the Cistern, which was now empty. We walked past the beds, and he sat down at his desk, and looked up at me, “Niruin spoke with me about your joining,” he got straight to the point, and suddenly my hands were clammy.

“I told Melvin I asked, and he told Niruin, and-“ I tried to explain, but he had cut me off, with a slight chuckle.

“It is fine. I know you’ll be leaving a lot during this time, but once you’re done doing what your heart is telling you, we will welcome you into the Guild with open arms. Until then, you’re welcome to come and go as you please. You always have a place to stay,” he promised, and I smiled. It seemed like a much better idea, that I wouldn’t have any obligations until I was done with my dragon quests.

“That means a lot, Brynjolf,” I said softly, a smile finding its way onto my lips. Suddenly, the want to get this quest over with took over, “I actually think I’ll continue my journey. Niruin said he’d be coming with me,” I informed, and there seemed to be a remorseful look.

“Keep safe,” he said, and I nodded in understanding. I went back towards the training room, to tell Niruin we were to leave soon. He was shooting arrows at a target, and he looked really distracted. Still, he hit the targets spot on.

“Niruin, I’m leaving now if you’d like to join,” I said. He looked at me and smiled.

“I’ll be there at once,” He said, and I turned to gather my things.

..::~^~::..

We were a day away from Riften now. Niruin and I had left from a ruin that we’d found nothing in. I’d been in a lot of ruins since finding out I was the Dragonborn. I’d learned a lot of shouts, and I’d killed a lot of dragons. Niruin seemed bothered and distant as we traveled, and I finally got the courage to ask him what it was that was bothering him.

“I’ve been thinking a lot about Vitrin lately. About how she’s become, and it scares the death out of me,” he explained, and I listened intently, “She’s out there somewhere, either on her own, or trapped, or dead. She’s some type of horrible situation, and the fact she could be alone…” he trailed off, and I sighed heavily.

“You need her, so go find her,” I offered not too long after he explained to me.

“But I can’t just leave you,” he objected, and I put my hand up to signal him to quit speaking.

“You need her, and she needs you a whole lot more than I need either one of you,” I said, “I can kill things, find things, and do this all on my own. You and Vitrin, you have such a noticeably strong bond. If you’re worried about her well-being, go and find her. Take her home. Help her, I don’t know. But if it has this much distraught on you, then do something about it,” my words weren’t angry, they were advisory. If I knew Nev was somewhere out there, and needed my help, I’d stop at nothing to go and find him.

Like I stopped at nothing to avenge his death.

He nodded to me, swallowing hard, “You’re right,” he said, looking down, and then back up at me, “You wouldn’t mind?” he asked, and I chuckled a little bit as I shook my head.

“Of course not. You must have more faith in me than that,” I said, and began to shoo him off.

“Go get her,” I pushed, and he nodded before he headed in the opposite direction. Once again, I was on my own. I had nobody else to worry about, and everything was left solely up to me. That’s exactly how I preferred it. I stood where I was, watching Niruin as he went further into the distance. The sun was at its peak, now, and I knew I’d have to continue on. I had much work to do. I’d start by going back to the throat of the world in order to speak with the greybeards. It’d been a while since I first saw them, and had learned much more since then. They knew my ultimate goal to defeat Alduin. They said that when I had the right knowledge, they’d have something to show me. This time, I took Shadowsmere up the 7,000 steps with me, and didn’t encounter as many predators as I had the last time I came up.

Once I stood in front of High Hrothgar, Shadowsmere disappeared into the shadows, as he always did. I entered the large building, to look for one of the monks. I didn’t have to look very hard, because they were all gathered in the courtyard in the back.

“Dovahkiin,” Arngeir said calmly, a smile on his face, “We were expecting you.” None of the others talked, again, because they’re voices were too powerful. I had also learned this the last time I came up here.

“I’ve learned much, Arngeir,” I said, then looked at Borri, Einarth, and Wulfgar, “I must learn more to find out what I want to.” I was very close to pleading. I was tired, I was exhausted, and I was done with killing and slaughtering things and people, just because they were in my way and refused to get out of it.

“We can see, Dragonborn,” Arngeir said, and looked at his fellow greybeards. They all nodded towards one another, and I was left confused. They all turned back at me, “We have something to show you. You must go alone, and you must have respect,” he warned, and I nodded. Wulfgar turned to the archway behind him, that led to more steps. There was a glowing blue light that was always in the archway, as if it were blocking the rest of the mountain. He shouted at it, and the blue light disappeared. I walked towards it, and looked at them all.

“Go, you have much more to learn,” Arngeir urged, and I smiled.

“Thank you,” I said genuinely, knowing that I wouldn’t have been able to get very far without him, or the rest of the greybeards.

“You are very welcome, Dovahkiin,” he bowed towards me, and I started walking up the stairs. It took all of my strength to keep at a calm pace, because I didn’t know what to expect as I got towards the top. When I jumped up the last few steps, the last thing I would have guessed was there, perched on the ground. I stepped back, thinking that this was a joke. Maybe the Greybeards just had the ultimate goal to have me killed. I drew my bow, and brought sparks to my hand.

“Calm down,” the dragon said, it’s voice deep and melodic. It looked aged, and it didn’t look like it was going to kill me. I still didn’t drop the bow. I didn’t think about the fact that the dragon had just talked to me, “I am not what you think.”

“You’re not a dragon?” I spat.

“I am,” he clarified, “But I’m not like the other dragons,” he assured me, but I didn’t believe it.

“Why was I brought to you?” I asked, my eyebrows furrowing. My bow still stood ready to engage.

“I am the Grand Master of the Greybeards,” he said, “I’ve been informed that you wish to defeat Alduin,” he said. I nodded my head cautiously.

“Why would you give me the knowledge to defeat him? You’re a dragon.” I pointed out, and his eyes bore into mine.

“Because Alduin wishes to resurrect all of the dragon. If he succeeds at this, every human will be torn from this earth, their souls being absorbed by dragons. That is not an age I wish to see, again,” he explained to me.

“How do believe that you even know how to defeat him,” I accused. I still was not convinced.

“Aduin is my brother,”

©Shannon
♠ ♠ ♠
Late, but Shannon's chapter.

M.R.