Status: Completed. Thank you for reading.

Dark Waters

Need Someone

-vitrin’s pov-

We ran as hard as we could, out of Solitude and for half a night, deep into the woods. But then finally, when we stopped, Captain Aldis was panting, but I wasn’t even sweating.

“I think we’re out of their sight.” Aldis informed me of the obvious, and I drew a dagger, grabbing him by the shoulder and pushing him back against a tree. “Whoa now, easy.” He whispered as I pressed the ebony blade against his throat, my teeth bared slightly as I held him back with my forearm over his chest. “Think of what I’ve just done.” His voice was quiet in the dark, and I tightened my grip on my dagger. “I just saved you. Possibly myself as well.” My eyes narrowed at his words. “Two months ago a dear friend got locked up. I didn’t know why until I looked at the log, and realized she was a Stormcloak. I helped her get out, but they promptly killed her. Everyone has stayed quiet on my behalf, but as of the past few days I’ve heard rumors that someone has leaked my assist, and I fear General Tullius or possibly even Rikke might be coming for my head soon.” I let up on my hold, nearly backing off. What was I now to him? A pawn that he could use in order to leave Solitude for his own good?

He did save me.

But what do I owe him for that?

I’d given him a passage from a death at the hands of his own. That was good enough. I tightened my grip again, bringing the blade around for the cut but he stopped me, reaching up and grabbing my wrist tightly.

“I have just saved you from being killed because I know what you are doing, and I feel it’s right. Overthrowing all the royals in Skyrim to become Queen is what this country needs.” He was off on my plans, but brought into play a plan I had not considered. “These people need someone who will let them be free and worship whoever they please, but someone who will also strike fear into the hearts of anyone willing to commit a crime.” His eyes were pleading, and I was caught off by the look. Such a strong man, such a powerful man, brought to pleading by a girl whom he’d just saved from imminent death. “Rethink your choice of actions. Please.” He let go of my wrist, and after a moment I slowly took leave. I sheathed my dagger and began walking, and heard leaves crunching behind me as Aldis followed.

I wanted to turn and tell him to stop and leave me in peace, but I could not bring myself to. Where would he go? His own people were turned against him now for sure. The very soldiers and guards he trained set to kill him on sight. I felt like I had not a choice but to allow him to accompany me.

We walked until I stopped, and his footsteps behind me ceased. I listened for a moment. No rustling, no howls, no roars, no growls. We were about halfway to Dawnstar, at the bottom of a mountain. It would do for a camp tonight. I walked over towards a crevice in the mountain, with flat ground surrounding it and no trees too close. The small hole in the rock was in the shape of a half moon, and it was where I usually set up my fire. I’d taken shelter here before a few times.

As I began picking up some rocks for a small fire, Aldis seemed to catch on rather quickly.

“I’ll go find some timber.” He offered before walking off towards the trees, and as I used two rocks to dig out a small pit, and then circle them around the hole. I was not expecting him to return, but to my dismay, he did. Carrying twigs and small logs that had been broken off trees, he kneeled in front of where I was now sitting, long done with the pit. As he placed the twigs and sticks and small logs in the circle of rocks, I couldn’t help but find him looking rather upset, but at the same time, relieved.

Like a man that had just left everything he had known and ever loved behind, but in order to keep himself and others alive, and begin a new life. But still, I couldn’t stop the thoughts of the best time to kill him. They just wouldn’t cease. For some reason I wanted them to. I didn’t want to kill him, but my head was going over the obvious. This could all be an elaborate set up by Elenwen. He could be planning to kill me the second I close my eyes. He was an Imperial. Imperials could not be trusted under any means, especially after the fiasco they’d put me through in Solitude. But he seemed so different. So genuinely different. Like he was very grateful to have a good reason to leave those walls he’d known for so long and not only follow a killer out of that hold and deep into the woods towards Forsworn land, but save that killer from a death of her own as well.

I wanted to trust him, but every fiber in me told me not to.

I lit the fire silently without another word from him, and he turned his eyes to the flames as I laid down, him following shortly after adding a few twigs to the blaze.

“I’m very grateful for what you’re doing for me.” I looked over at him, a questioning look on my face. What had I done for him? “For letting me come with you.” He whispered over the crackling fire between us.” You’ve saved me, you really have.” I didn’t save him from anything. He turned his eyes to the sky, and finally a whisper slipped past my lips.

“You saved yourself.” I told him quietly, and as I looked towards the stars, I could see a soft smile come over his face. “And me as well. I should be thanking you.”

“You have a beautiful voice.” His mutter moments later I was sure I wasn’t supposed to hear, but I did, and stayed quiet.

I spent the night staring at the stars, listening to the fire crackle, and glancing over every now and again to the sleeping man on the other side of the flames. I wondered if one day this feeling might leave, and I may be able to trust him fully, and not see him as what he was on the outside. I wondered how long we’d be together until we separated. I hated admitting it, but it was nice not lying alone under the stars for once. I felt I’d been alone for far too long. Being in someone else’s presence who didn’t want to kill me was a nice change for once. And as much as the thought scared me, I felt that Aldis wasn’t all I thought he was.

The next morning I told Aldis I was taking him back to Riften. I did not want him out with me, possibly getting killed on my account, and I moved faster and more quiet alone. He seemed to understand and not have any objections. So we set off again without a word, and when we were walking and three Stormcloaks came into view, Aldis grabbed my arm, pulling me back, and I jerked my arm from his hand, walked forward, ignoring his rushed footsteps behind my silent ones. I took out my sword, as quietly as possible, and turned to Aldis as I kept my pace behind the guards, putting a finger to my lips, and he nodded. I turned back and stabbed one in the back, alerting the other two, who quickly surrounded me. I pulled the blade out, and turned at the sound of a sword being taken out of its holster, and grabbed the soldier’s arm before he could, letting my hand freeze over, and he cried out as ice worked its way up his arm, his chest, and over his entire body in under a second. I let go and turned to the other one, quickly sticking my blade through his abdomen, just as a silver sword stuck through from the other side. I withdrew as the other did, and the body fell, Aldis standing before me now with a slight smile. I ignored it and turned, swinging my sword hard into the newly frozen ice statue, and it shattered into tiny shards of red and white.

“Master of destruction magic.” Aldis assumed, sheathing his weapon as did I, and I nodded at his assumption.

“From a young age.” I told him and he nodded shortly as I began walking once more.

“You’re very skilled at it.” He stated, but I didn’t pursue further conversation as silence overtook us once more and not another word was said as we continued our walk.

Another mile nearer to Whiterun, it was nearing sundown.

“We’re too close to Whiterun to set up camp, we’re not stopping for the night.” I told Aldis quickly, and he didn’t object as we walked through a wooded area that would be ending soon and we’d come out in a field.

“I don’t exactly see why I cannot stay with you.” Aldis seemed near hesitant to state his first objection to my moving him to Riften. “Actually, I see nothing keeping me from doing so. Or maybe if you needed me gone, there would be no need to escort me to Riften, for I know my way on my own.” He looked over at me, still walking, not breaking his pace. I could feel his eyes on my though I did not turn and look. “Something in Riften is bringing you back, not me. Do you have family there?” I felt a lump in my throat, nearly cutting my breathing off.

“Yes.” I kept quiet, not saying much more. “You’ll be staying with them.”

“Perhaps a lover of sorts is what’s pulling you home, then? Though in a way I suppose you’re not one for connections. But I am not the reason you’re going back to Riften. I can see it in your eyes that those walls hold something dear to you that you miss. Something left to go home to, I suppose.” I stopped and drew my dagger quickly, not wasting a second before shoving him back against a tree, the blade at his throat.

“I have nothing left to go to, don’t you see?!” I screamed, too much pent up inside of me and nothing let out. Slowly I let go of him, stepping back, staring him down as I felt my hands twitching, twisting my dagger around and around in my right hand. “I-I don’t have anything in that hold you need to know of. I grew up with thieves and they are the only family I need! Do you understand?!” I screamed, losing my temper the slightest though I had no intentions of it. He nodded solemnly, his face calm.

“Yes I’m-I’m sorry, I didn’t mean anything by it I’m just…trying to figure you out.”

“I saved you; isn’t that what you said?” He nodded shortly. “Then let your silence be your thanks.” I ordered quickly of him and he did fall silent. I kept my dagger out as I turned and continued walking.

He didn’t need to know anything of my life. In a way I hoped he wouldn’t be in it long enough to need to know. I’d take him to the Guild and he wouldn’t last long there before he’ll leave. No matter how badly I wanted to trust him, someway it kept getting shattered. I wanted him to turn out an ally, but I didn’t see how he would.

I was internally torn in two, and the two sides of my conscious were fighting actively as we walked, Aldis behind me staying silent as ever. In a way, I was worried I had scared him, but in another way, I wanted him to be scared of me.

“He-help-” A rustle from behind following a whisper for help brought me forcefully from my thoughts and I grasped my sword as I turned sharply, but before I could draw it I stopped and quickly went to intervene.

“Niruin! Niruin, no!” I yelled quickly as I grabbed Niruin’s arm, pulling it from around Aldis’ neck, and he dropped to the ground on his knees.

“He was following you, Vitrin, he-”

“He’s okay.” I swiftly dismissed the accusations from Niruin, but he looked at me, seeming puzzled. “I got locked up in Solitude and he helped me escape, saving my life in the process. I was just taking him to Riften.” Niruin seemed to somewhat understand what I was saying, nodding slightly as he looked over to Aldis, who was getting to his feet finally.

“I apologize; we’re not on the best terms with the Imperials at the moment.” Niruin apologized shortly to Aldis, who just nodded once in response, appearing to want to avoid any optional conversations at the moment.

“What are you doing out here?” I asked Niruin as he turned back to me, and he paused for a moment.

“You ran off without a word. Brynjolf had to hold me back to keep me from running off for you over a month ago. I didn’t know what was wrong with you and I didn’t know where you were or if you were in trouble or not.” The guilt that overcame me from his words took me by storm. “All I knew was that I was worried to death about you and I couldn’t sleep with that on me.”

“We’ll I’ve already gotten into trouble, I’d say you’re a bit late.” Niruin’s eyes became fixated on my neck after a moment, and I knew the questioning of the three inch healing cut on my neck was coming.

“What happened?” The question was slightly absent minded, and I knew if I said a thing about Captain Aldis Niruin wouldn’t let him live.

“I’ll tell you later.” I whispered quickly, wanting to change the subject. I could tell it bothered him deeply still. “Come on, we need to keep moving.”

Nighttime didn’t waste time darkening the skies as our travel to Riften soon became pitch black, and as I noticed Niruin’s fatigue as we attempted to continue, I suggested we find a place to rest for the night. I didn’t like stopping, and Niruin protested, but I wasn’t sure how long it’d been since he’d slept last, though his weariness brought me to believe it’d been a while.

“Not going to sleep?” I stared into the small fire as Aldis sat beside me, and shook my head.

“I’ve gotten to where I can go days without it.” I whispered, my thoughts clouded. “You know, I’m sure you could still go back to Solitude if you wish.”

“I’m afraid I can’t. Not anymore.” I could hear the sadness in his voice when he spoke of Solitude. Like a dark cloud had been hung over his thoughts towards the hold. “I want to, don’t mistake my refusal for disdain. I love Solitude, and I hope I can return one day, but…with all I’ve done, and with all that’s taken place because of me…I don’t think I can.”

“I can understand that.” I nodded, knowing how that felt, and heard a rustle from behind us, and I looked over my shoulder as Niruin rolled over onto his side, still fast asleep. Aldis’ eyes followed mine, then went to me.

“He’s your family, isn’t he?” I looked over at Aldis at his words, taking a deep breath.

“Thalmor raided Valenwood when I was just a few years old. My parents were killed, and he took me in, brought me to Skyrim, to live with him in the Thieves Guild.” I revealed, my heart rate slowing at the memories I’d brought upon myself. “He is my family, and has been ever since. I found my brother, not too long ago. The Thalmor killed him, and so-”

“You killed all of them.” The tone of understanding and acceptance of my crimes in Aldis’ voice was unexpected.

“You don’t seem put off by my past.” I stated and Aldis nodded, turning his eyes to the flames.

“You fight and kill for those you love, and I respect that.”

“That’s not something to respect.” I whispered, shaking my head slightly. “I’ve stolen, I’ve killed, I’ve lied, I’ve snuck away from people I love, I’m everything you’re supposed to hate.” A tightness overtook my chest as the words left my lips. “You and I…we‘re not supposed to be sitting here, side by side like this. An Imperial and a murderess are some of the most unlikely friends.”

“An Imperial and a murderess…” A questioning tone soaked Aldis’ voice as he looked at me once more. “Two murders get along much better.”

“You killed a few guards but that was in order to save a life, one which most probably should not have been saved.”

“Don’t say that.” Aldis had an ache in his eyes as he shook his head. “You deserved to be saved just as much as the next person.”

“That pains you.” I observed, wondering why such a thing would hurt him. “Why?”

“Because you’re the first person I’ve met that’s like…you.” I didn’t say anything as he continued, his words interesting. “You’re brave, loyal, strong, and loving. You’re not afraid to stand up to some of the most fearsome people in this land, and for those that you love; you’d go to the end of the world and back.” The corner of his mouth pulled up in a slight smile. “I’ve never met anyone so iron-willed.”

“Well, I do hope we can remain friends after this. Though, most people I do become friends with either get killed or abandon me.”

“Well,” Aldis smiled slightly at me. “I will not abandon you, as long as you need me.” He stood without a reply, leaving me to ponder if I was in fact all he’d said.
______

“…met you in Solitude?” My head was fogged with sleep, but I could make out Niruin’s voice as I woke up.

“Yes, I helped her get out of jail, actually.” I didn’t move, opening my eyes fully as I realized I was lying on the ground next to the burnt out fire from last night. “And when the guards realized she got out and they started searching for her, I helped her get out of the mess and escape.”

“So you were there the night she got taken to jail, then.” Niruin’s assumption made me squeeze my eyes shut.

“Yes, yes I was.” Aldis’ voice had a hesitance to it.

“What’s the story behind that cut on her neck?” Please don’t, Niruin.

“It happened the night she got locked up. A guard had a dagger on her and she apparently stabbed another guard, and when she did, she accidentally cut herself.” I rolled over to face the direction of their conversation, knowing the direction in which the conversation was going wasn’t a good one.

“Did you do it?” Niruin had his back to me and Aldis couldn’t see me for Niruin. I felt my heart race as I saw Niruin draw a dagger because of Aldis’ silence. “I swear to the gods if you did that to her, I’ll do the exact same to you, but I’ll make yours more permanent.” I scrambled to get to my feet, my whole body suddenly turned to panic, though my mind couldn’t fathom the full reason why I was so afraid for Aldis when Niruin clenched that dagger in his right hand.

“It was an accident, Niruin!” I got to my feet and grabbed my bow off my back, drawing an arrow and pointing it at the back of Niruin’s head, the tip against his hood, and he froze.

“He did that to you.” The whisper made my skin crawl. I’d never heard that voice of his like this before. “He hurt you.” Niruin pressed the dagger tighter to Aldis’ throat.

“He did nothing to me.” I growled, almost unsettled at how ready I felt to put an arrow through his head if he dared kill Aldis. “All he’s done is save my life.”

“He nearly slit your throat, he locked you up, and then you got attacked by guards because of him, and I’m not going to let that go.”

“You don’t have a choice but to let it go. I swear if you don’t I will-” Niruin slowly began turning towards me, as he did he put the dagger away, and then took the arrow I held poised, and placed it right in the center of his forehead, his eyes hurt, his breathing shaky.

“All I’ve ever done is worry about you and your wellbeing. And now you stand up for a man who- I don’t even care if he saved you from those guards, if it wasn’t for him, you would not have been in a situation you’d need to have been saved from. He put you in danger, and if he aided you in escaping no doubt Imperials are hunting for him as well. And you stand here and point your bow at me? After all I’ve done, and after you’ve only known this man for days, at best I’m guessing a week, ” My hands weren’t shaking as began lowering the bow, taking a deep breath. “He’s not good for you, V. Leave him here, and we’ll go back to Riften together. This good for nothing fiend can find his way-” I drew the arrow again, resuming the stance I’d taken seconds before.

“Don’t talk about him like that.” I was quick to defend Aldis, and my conscious remained puzzled at why. “He is not a fiend; what he is, is none of your concern. All you need to know is he’s a better person than you think he is and I’m not leaving him.” Niruin nodded, looking off to the side before his eyes went back to me.

“Well maybe I’ll see you again one day.” I didn’t even try to stop Niruin as he walked around me and off into the woods. I stood there in front of Aldis for what seemed like a lifetime as my breathing became choppy. Like my lungs were crumbling in my chest.

“Vitrin…” Aldis’ voice trailed off as he stepped up to me, and I took a deep breath, placing a hand on his chest, my head following as I struggled to find my lungs. “Are you alright?”

“Don’t abandon me now.” I whispered, remembering his words from last night.

“I won’t, I won’t. Don’t worry.” His words were soft as his arms went around me, giving me a comfort I needed in the moment.

I needed comfort.

I needed care.

I needed to know I still had someone.
♠ ♠ ♠
M.R.