Status: Completed. Thank you for reading.

Dark Waters

Home

-vitrin’s pov-

Niruin plagued me as we slowly walked. My feet felt like bars of iron. Aldis kept glancing at me, I was sure he was shaken.

I wondered if I did the right thing by letting Niruin walk away- if I did the right thing by just letting him go. He was my brother. He was my friend.

But what was I to Niruin now?

What was Aldis to me? For me to draw on my brother; who was Aldis to me? For me to even think about killing Niruin, who had Captain Aldis become to me? Just the thought made me nauseous. Maybe it was because of Cynric. I couldn’t be sure. My head was foggy, my thoughts clouded and exhausting. Deep inside, I wanted to just stop it all. I wanted to lay down in the dirt and never get up, but I continued on, with Aldis at my side. I marched on, through Skyrim and to the Guild. To home.

Home wasn’t the reason I kept walking though. Aldis wasn’t the reason, either. I kept walking because I kept thinking about Ulfric. The man whom I’d thought of as a father who had stabbed me in the back and taken away my second family. The man who deserved death more than any bandit, thief, or scoundrel in this land.

For his death, I continued on.

Soon, Aldis and I came upon a creek, and immediately diverted our path slightly, without saying a word. I took a deep breath, quickly falling to my knees at the water. I scooped up a handful of crystal clear water, drinking heavily. I took a deep breath as I rested my hands on my knees for a moment, looking over at Aldis, who was refilling his water pouch. I turned back to the water, staring down into it. I ran a hand over my neck, feeling the scab of the wound. It was healing.

Cupping my hands, I brought up more water, splashing my face, then wiping the water off. The coolness felt good against my skin. I caught sight of something on my hands, and then as my eyes fixated on them, my breath got choppy. I wiped them against my armor, and as I blinked, it disappeared.

“Vitrin-” I turned sharply, one hand on my sword, just to see it was Aldis. “It’s just me.” Aldis spoke calmly as he took me by my arm, helping me up from the bank. “You were not responding, are you alright?”

I nodded, looking at the ground as he let go of my arm. “Yes, let’s go.” I muttered quickly, and started walking in the direction we were headed.

Aldis proceeded to watch me closely as we walked. We made it to Riften before nightfall, and as we reached the cemetery, I turned to Aldis.

“You are not an Imperial anymore, do you understand?” I asked, my voice cracking from lack of talking. Aldis nodded shortly, the glow from a few candles on the shrine of Talos glanced off his face, reflecting in his eyes.

“But what if they recognize me?” He asked quietly and I sighed.

“I won’t let them kill you. Consider it pay for saving me.” I told him shortly, and turned, heading towards the coffin. I pressed the Guild shadowmark, and as the coffin drew back, I descended to the cover. I opened it, and went in first.

“By the gods, could it be?” I heard Etienne whisper, and I smiled slightly as I turned to face him, Aldis coming down behind me as Etienne hugged me tightly, with a grin.

“Vitrin, it’s been-” His voice suddenly stopped, and I closed my eyes, my arms still around him as his body went frigid. “I do hope you have a good explanation to this.” He whispered in my ear, and I pulled away from him, stepping in front of Aldis.

“Etienne, this is the man who I owe my life.” I told him, and he looked at Aldis, and then took a deep breath.

“Brynjolf will have a word with you.” He said, but at the moment I wasn’t sure who he was speaking to.

I opened my mouth to speak, but he cut me off.

“Now.” He said, crossing his arms, his face stern and I nodded.

I turned to Aldis, my voice quiet. “Do not say a word. Come with me, I will arrange your stay.” I told him, and he nodded as I turned, brushing past Etienne, who didn’t bother to follow me around to Brynjolf’s desk. Aldis’ footsteps were the loudest in the place. I passed Sapphire, who didn’t say a word, just looked as if she’d seen a ghost. Vipir was at Brynjolf’s desk as I approached.

“Vitrin!” He yelled happily as soon as he saw me. I wasn’t able to get a single word in before he got up and came around to me, crushing me in a hug. “Thank Talos- thank all the gods you’re safe!” He crushed me in his arms as he lifted me up and put me back down. He grabbed my shoulders as he let me go, staring at me like he was in disbelief. Vipir shared the same expression. “We-we’d herd you were captured by the Imperials and killed, and-“

“And one of them has brought you here to negotiate your freedom!” Vipir jumped to his conclusions as he drew his dagger, placing the tip on Aldis’ throat. Panic overtook Aldis’ face as he tensed up.

“No, no Vipir!” I was quick to jump at Vipir, grabbing the hand that held the weapon. “He’s the reason I’m here, he’s the reason I’m alive.” I explained swiftly, and the looks of confusion smothered me in anxiety as Vipir lowered his dagger cautiously.

Brynjolf placed a hand on my shoulder as I stood in front of Aldis and let go of Vipir’s hand. “What do you mean, V?” His eyes shifted to Aldis.

I could feel my heart in my throat as I spoke. “I mean, he broke me out. He saved me.”

“What happened to your neck?” Brynjolf let a finger graze over the cut I’d rather forget about, and I let out a breath.

“Brynjolf, trust me. This man saved my life,” I said sternly, staring him down. He stared back, and I knew things were going to work out. “And you will treat him as if he has saved your own.” Brynjolf nodded at my words, and Vipir sheathed his dagger. I relaxed and so did Aldis and I felt one of his hands on my armor, like a small child might grab ahold of their parent if they were shy. “Aldis needs to stay here. The Imperials are after him for aiding in my escape, and treason. I need you to keep him here in secret.”

“Okay,” Brynjolf spoke finally after a moment. “I will trust you. We will allow him to stay here.”

“Thank you.” Aldis spoke finally from behind me, his voice guarded. “I will not be a burden.” He was being careful not to step on toes.

“But Brynjolf, he is not to leave unless it is with me.”

“Oh we’ll make sure of that.” Vipir brought a lopsided grin to the conversation. I know it made Aldis uneasy as his grip on my armor tightened.

I was quick to point a finger at Vipir. “Do not, hurt him.” Vipir held his hands up.

“He will be in safe hands, V.” Brynjolf comforted, and his words rested my mind for once. “Vipir: why don’t you show him to a bed, and get him a set of armor. I don’t want him walking around in Imperial dress.” Vipir nodded once, though begrudged. He turned, and I looked up at Aldis shortly as he let go of me and walked off behind Vipir.

“Thank you for this, Bryn.” I kept my voice quiet as I walked the two men walk off.

“As long as he is who you say he is, we should have no trouble with your Captain.” Bryn smiled slightly crookedly as he put a hand on my back. “Though I admit, I feel every time you show up, it is after we’ve been informed of your demise.”

“I apologize for worrying you and the Guild, but I am doing what I have to. I am being who I have to be.” I could see his eyes burning into my neck, and I subconsciously brought a hand up to shield his gaze, and he looked back at my face.

“As long as you’re being safe.” He muttered and I nodded, not wanting to keep his attention on me.

“Yes, and my ventures are ever tiring.” I cracked half a smile.

“Of course,” Brynjolf quickly stepped away. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have held you, you must be exhausted- though sometime tomorrow I want to ask you about something.”

“I will be here until noon, at least.” I informed him quickly, and he smiled as I turned to walk off.

“Oh, and V,” I turned around at his voice, and he smiled warmly, comfortingly. “It’s nice to hear your voice again, dear.” Vex walked up, and I didn’t reply as she took his attention and I made my way towards my bed.

“Every time you come in here, you look like you’ve crawled out of a coffin.” I looked to my left, and found Rayvn leaning against the wall.

“I’ve been fighting a war on my own, what’s your excuse?” I questioned him and he snickered.

“She speaks.” He said, walking towards me, and I took a deep breath of musty air. I saw his eyes fixate on my neck, as he stepped towards me. “Did you…” He trailed off, dragging a finger across his neck.

“Just a little.” I replied, and he nodded. He pushed his hood off his head, his face solemn.

“Sit with me?” He asked, pointing to the steps. I wasn’t getting any more tired, and so I figured it couldn’t hurt. I walked over next to him and sat on the bank of the water. He sat down on a step in front of me, his feet in the water. He turned his eyes to the water, his voice going quiet. “I see Niruin didn’t come back with you, either. Sigrid’s here, she says he went off to look for you but-“

“Rayvn, I-“ I had to stop talking, he brushed his palm over the water and it came back darker. It came back red.

”You wanted me dead.” I heard Niruin’s voice and I quickly turned around, startled. My dagger sliced air.

No one was there.

“V? Are you alright?” Rayvn’s voice was worried as he turned towards me. I had my dagger drawn, raised in my hand to stab whatever was closest. My breathing was choppy. “Gods Vi, what happened to you?” I turned to find Rayvn sitting up next to me now, and he put a hand on my cheek, his eyes concerned. I knew what he was feeling. I was concerned for myself as well.

“I haven’t slept in three days.” I whispered to him a lie, but it was what I felt. I felt as if I’d been awake for weeks.

“C’mon, let’s get you to bed.” He grabbed my arm, helping me up. The dagger was clutched tightly as he led me over to my bed, and I sat down on the edge of it. My hands were shaking. “Let me have this, sweetheart.” He took the weapon from my hand, and laid it on the table next to my bed. With shaking hands I managed to get my sword sheathe off, sword intact, and hand it to him. He placed it on the chest at the foot of the bed.

“I’m okay, Rayvn, I am.” I told him as he came back around to me.

“I know.” He said, and smiled, placing a hand on my head. “But you’re still nothing more than flesh and bone, V. I feel sometimes you forget that. You are no dragon.” He turned and left me with that smile, and I stared at where he had stood.

Everything I had to do was a weight on my shoulders, but nonetheless, my mind wandered back to the same. Aldis took the bed across from me, and soon, as I stared at the place where Rayvn had been, Aldis sat across from me in my line of vision. He laid down in his own bed, facing mine, and I followed, my eyelids heavy, and my mind shaken.

Why did my head always go back to him?

And why did I let my heart follow?
♠ ♠ ♠
M.R.