Status: Completed. Thank you for reading.

Dark Waters

Heartbeat

-vitrin’s pov-

I walked through darkness, my sword at my side and Aldis behind me.

“I don’t trust these pathways, danger is eminent.” His voice echoed from behind me, but I continued on, my vision foggy.

“Shh.” I hushed shortly, my sword out in front of me. I flicked my fingertips, candlelight coming to them. I tossed it into the air, and it lit up my surrounding area.

Forest, as far as I could see.

“Aldis, stay on your-“

“No!” I turned swiftly as Aldis fell, and was being dragged backwards. “Vitrin don’t let them take me!” I shot fireballs in the vague area of whatever was pulling him. They did not stop.

I stopped, running at him, falling and grabbing his hands. I strained against the invisible force, pulling at his arms.

“V, please, please-“ His voice was so soft…so hurt. I kept pulling on his arms, but I was not strong enough.

He was pulled from my grasp, and my lungs broke free, letting out a screech as I stood up, grabbing my sword and running towards the darkness he had been pulled into.

“I wish I could still call you my sister.” I heard a voice that sent a chill up my spine. I turned quickly, seeing Malborn emerge from the darkness, his image crystal clear.

“Malborn…how are you…why are you here?” My voice was weak, I felt like all the energy was being drained from me.

“I wish I could still call you my lover.” I looked over my shoulder much slower as Cynric emerged, walking towards me. My knees buckled, and I couldn’t feel my legs as I fell to my knees, Malborn and Cynric standing on either side of me.

“Cyn, I am so sorry. I’m so sorry Cynric.” I grabbed his hand as he placed it on my face.

“I can still call you my friend.” Niruin walked up in front of me, and anger grew in me, but I was so weak, so fragile. I fell forward onto my hands, and caught a glimpse of something in Niruin’s hand.

I froze, and the anger grew. It surged through me. I could feel the hate running through me. I screamed as I got to my feet, sword in hand.

I slammed my blade into Niruin, and he faded, along with Cynric and Malborn. I looked down, and fell once more to the ground as I took the head in both hands, staring into his eyes.

“I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry Aldis. I’m so sorry.”


I took a deep breath as I jolted up in bed. It was night. I took a second to catch my breath as I looked over across from my bed. Aldis lay sleeping soundly. Relief washed over me. I had been here two days. Niruin was not coming.

I stood from my bed and went to the chest, gathering my things. I put on my armor, grabbed my weapons, and sheathed them as I walked over to Aldis’ bed.

“Captain, let’s go.” I shook his shoulder, and groggily he began waking, looking up at me. Those brown eyes sent a chill up my spine, which I shook off shortly. “I’m not going to leave you here, we have to go.”

“Why? Why do we have to go?” He sat up, now more alert. The Guild was quiet. Many were asleep, and so anyone who was awake was quiet as to not wake those who chose to rest.

“Because I need someone to travel with.” I lied. It rolled off my tongue. Lying came so naturally and I knew that was only common in my situation.

“I see.” He stood up, acting as if he was just okay with it. But I could hear the hint of relief in his voice. I knew he did not want to spend any more time here. I knew my fellow thieves made him more nervous than he cared to admit.

“Hurry, I wish to be gone before anyone notices.” Rushing him, I turned to look around. No one had noticed I had woken from my slumber.

He rapidly got his armor on and grabbed his weapons.

“Lead the way.” He spoke quietly and I nodded, heading towards the exit. I stopped as I got to the ladder, looking back at the cistern.

I felt I wouldn’t be back for a while.

I ignored the pang of guilt at not saying goodbye, but ignored it as I ascended out of the Guild. I pulled the chain as Aldis closed the cover. We emerged into the night, the wind cold and stinging my face. I pulled my hood up and Aldis mirrored the move.

He didn’t speak until we had climbed over the wall. “Where are we going?”

“Markarth. We’re going to see a friend.”

“Who?” He questioned further, but I did not turn to face him.

“A friend.” I kept my voice stern, and continued walking. The wind whipped against my hood, and so I tilted my head down as I walked. “I hope to make it there before tomorrow afternoon, so do not stop walking.

Silence overtook us as we walked out of Riften, heading closer and closer to Whiterun by the hour. I had informed Aldis that I did not want to go near Whiterun, and that we needed to keep our distance.

“Thank you for bringing me with you.” The sun was setting and I could see Whiterun in the distance. We were not taking our time, and I was happy with how we were progressing.

“Why thank me? I know you did not want to stay there.”

He sighed. I know he wished for me to be able to just accept his thanks and move on, but I saw no need for the gesture. “Well thank you for that. You are right; I did not want to stay. I don’t like the thought of you roaming around by yourself.”

“I can very well take care of myself, Aldis.” I reminded him, and he moved up beside me. The sunset was a light orange, and we were both cast in its glow as we descended down a hillside.

“I am aware, but you are still rather young. At twenty four-”

“At twenty four I have already taken more lives than you ever have.” Our conversation was getting to me, and my voice raised slightly.

“I do not mean to offend, but you are still half the size of most men I know. It puts me at ease being with you, that is all.” I looked over at him finally, and he stopped and looked at me. I had to turn back to look at him. “I…I enjoy traveling with you.”

“As do I with you.” I admitted shortly, and he cracked a soft smile. I shifted on my feet at the bottom of the hill. “But I assure you I am capable of taking care of myself.” I caught sight of a smirk on his face as I turned and continued walking.

Night fell, and we were drawing closer and closer as Morning threatened to take away our cover as we moved silently through the woods. We never stopped walking. I wanted to make haste. I had no time to throw away.

I knew Ondolemar worked closely with Elenwen as a Justicar, and I knew he would know of her location. He was my last hope in finding her. And I hoped that where I found Elenwen, I would find her lover as well. Surely Ulfric would be holed up with her. Though it made me sick to think of them.

“I have to stop, Vitrin, I must.” Aldis panted from beside me after our uphill climb.

“We cannot.” I didn’t stop walking. I wasn’t even sweating. I was used to walking at this point. I didn’t like horses and they didn’t like me. My legs were my transport.

“Vitrin, please.” I turned back finally at his words, having heard them before. They made me feel sick.

“Okay, fine. Take a break, but this will be the only one.” I told him, and he nodded, going to sit on a nearby log. I followed, sitting down next to him.

“Can I ask you about something?” His voice was cautious, like he was on thin ice.

“What?” I looked over at him, sweat beading on his forehead, the early morning just beginning to rise.

“Yesterday, when we were at the creek, I called your name over and over and you didn’t respond, and then when you did, you looked like you were startled by something.” I diverted my eyes from his face, looking down, wanting to avoid the question altogether. “What happened then?”

“Nothing, I thought I got bit by a Slaughterfish.” I slipped past the question, but I knew he could see through the lie. I stood up. “Come on, the break is over, we must continue.” I was met with a heavy sigh.

I bought two apples from a Khajiit caravan moving from The Reach, and that served as our lunch. And the first food I’d had in days. My stomach did not agree with it, and quickly emptied itself again.

“Here drink.” Aldis offered me his water pouch as I returned from the woods, but I declined. “You need something to drink, Vitrin. Here.” He thrust it towards me and I pushed it back towards him, more aggressive now. I was fearful of liquids. I didn’t want the blood to return.

“I do not want any, Aldis.” I growled, and he nodded, sighing.

“Fine, fine.” He sounded suspicious. I didn’t have the option to care as we neared Markarth ahead of schedule.

We arrived before sundown.

I was almost alarmed at the fact that the streets were empty. There wasn’t a soul in sight. Not a vendor, not a civilian taking a stroll, not even a guard. Aldis noticed, but didn’t say a word, and I was pleased at how he saw that silence was key. We moved quietly, not making a sound as we moved up the steps to the keep where I knew Ondolemar to reside.

I turned to Aldis and put a finger to my lips as I drew my sword. Opening the door slowly, we both turned back to back as we checked each side of the door, but our true concern laid in front of us.

“Who is it?! Who’s there?!”

Ondolemar laid on his back, beaten and bloody, his eyes so swollen he couldn’t see, his lips busted, both top and bottom. I didn’t even think of the danger, I simply fell next to him, and he twitched.

“Who is it? Who are you?” I could hear tears in his voice, and my heart shattered.

“Ondolemar, it’s me. It’s V.” I whispered, my very soul aching at the thought of him hurting.

“They’re here, V. You can’t be here.”

“No I won’t leave you.” I told him, a hand on his cheek. He smiled, the scabs on his dried lips cracking, releasing more blood onto his already bloody, bruised face.

“You cannot save me, sweetheart.” His voice was shaky as his hand went down to his abdomen. I brushed his coat open to see an arrow sticking through his stomach, the head glistening with blood.

“Vitrin,” I ignored Aldis’ worried voice as I looked back at Ondolemar’s face. He took my hand, and squeezed it weakly. I could feel tears welling, but I forced them back. His breaths were no more than inhuman sounding wheezes.

“Kill-kill one for me, Vitrin.” His smile started to fade, and I grabbed his hand.

“Ondolemar?” I squeezed his hand, but he wasn’t there. He was gone.

He was dead.

“Vi-” Aldis’ voice was cut off by a growl, and the sound of an arrow cutting by my head made me duck, and grab my sword from its sheathe. I turned and swiped as I heard footsteps behind me. The insides of a guard scattered onto the floor, and there was a thud from beside me. I looked over to see Aldis hit the floor as two guards grabbed him. There was an arrow through his side.

“No! I screamed as I ran to him, but an arrow shot at my leg, cutting my armor and my leg. The unexpected stinging made me trip, and I fell. It stopped me long enough for the Imperials to carry an unconscious Aldis out the door. “No…” My voice was a whisper. I got to my feet, and started after him, but I was stopped as two Thalmor stepped out from the dark and blocked my path. One was the marksman. I took a stance to kill them, but I was stopped once again.

“I never did trust him.” I looked over at where the voice was coming from, and my blood ran hotter than ever.

“Just who I wanted to kill.” Aldis was swept from my mind as Elenwen stood just mere feet from me on the other side of Ondolemar. “You’re in a very dangerous position.”

“And so are you. What with all these armies out for your head. Do you know how many Thalmor you killed at the Embassy?” She latched her hands together behind her back as she cocked her head, her eyes glaring at me.

“I am going to rip your beating heart from your chest.” I hissed, and I could feel the guards behind me tense up. My grip on my sword tightened.

“Do you know how many Thalmor you killed at the Embassy?” She repeated her question, her voice more strict.

“Not enough.” I growled, venom dripping off each word. I hoped they burned into her ears.

“Fifty three.” Her answer was short as she stepped over Ondolemar and up to me. I couldn’t react before the guards took both of my arms, and my sword dropped to the ground. The held my arms behind my back, but I didn’t struggle. “That means I’m going to stab you one hundred and six times.” She grinned, and I mirrored it.

“I’m only going to need to stab you once.” Before anyone could react, before the Thalmor guards could react, before Elenwen knew what was happening, before I could even think about it, I made my move. I drew a dagger from the back of my waist, and buried it deep in her stomach, then dragged it upwards to her ribcage, cutting her from naval to breast as the guards let go of me in shock. I let her fall to the ground as I turned towards the guards. I stabbed one in the neck, then as the other drew his sword I slit his throat. I wasted no time before turning back to Elenwen, lying on the ground.

I fell to my knees and lifted her up, shoving my hand into her wound. She wheezed, and I dug my hand in towards her heart. I could feel it. I could feel the muscle beating in my palm as I grabbed her hair, making her look at me.

“Look at me,” I demanded as she tried to look away. I forced her head towards me, her breaths short and strained. “I want you to know who ripped your heart out. This is for Ondolemar, and my brother.” I growled through gritted teeth, my lips twisting into a smile as I pulled her heart, and brought it out. I could feel the grin on my face growing as I watched the life drain quickly from her.

Elenwen was dead.

I started laughing as her corpse laid in front of me. I started laughing like I never had before. Elenwen was dead. The woman responsible for the death of my brother and my friend was finally dead.

My laughter began dying down as I realized Aldis had been taken. I sat there for a moment, catching my breath as Elenwen’s heart rolled out of my hand. I pushed her off of me, and moved over to Ondolemar.

“She’s dead, Ondolemar. I’m just sorry I didn’t get here earlier. I’m sorry. But I’ve done the best I could.” I looked down and slowly took the arrow out of him, staring at it before I broke off the tip and put it in my pocket. I crossed his hands on his stomach, and rested a hand on his forehead. “We’ll meet again someday, I’m sure.” With that I stood, limping slightly from the open gash on my leg.

I collected my sword and dagger, and left the building. Markarth was still empty, but I heard horses in the distance. I knew exactly where they were taking Aldis.

I set out for Solitude.
♠ ♠ ♠
M.R.