Status: Completed. Thank you for reading.

Dark Waters

Truth

-vitrin’s pov-

I had been going through the inside of the Guild, though hard as it was, I felt I needed to, just to maybe see if there had been a soul who had somehow lived. But in the few places where everything wasn’t covered in rubble, there were no living among what was once my home. Aldis finally pulled me out, and I had told him I wanted to stay. I wanted to sit out and wait for a while, to see if any Stormcloaks would return. I could interrogate one for the location of Ulfric, which I still needed to acquire.

But the only person who showed was Sigrid. As I stood there, I had so much anger still coursing through me I had almost forgotten of Brynjolf, who surely she had run into.

“Brynjolf left. Aldis and I caught two Stormcloaks dragging him out of the city.” I told Sigrid before she could get another word in, anger evident on her face as well. But it melted slightly when I told her of Brynjolf.

“He lived, then. Do you know where he was going?” She asked, and I shook my head, but before I could really answer her, Aldis spoke up from behind me.

“To look for you, he said.” Aldis stepped forward in the light. Sigrid seemed to take notice of his scars, and seemed a bit taken aback, and I just diverted my eyes from her. Aldis took a step back and turned his head slightly away from her.

Sigrid nodded then, getting back on subject, taking a deep breath. “Stormcloaks did this?” She asked shortly, gesturing to the Guild, haste in her voice still, like she had places to be.

I was hesitant to nod, but did so anyways. “Yes, they…they were looking for me, and when they didn’t find me, they…” I gritted my teeth, pursing my lips, my throat closing a little before I could finish the sentence. I felt Aldis’ hand rest on my shoulder, and my eyes snapped back into focus on Sigrid. “Where are you going now?”

Sigrid’s jaw went rigid. “The Brotherhood.” She said without hesitation, anger seemingly building. “I have things to settle, people I need to make pay for some…wrong doings, if you will.” I could see her fists balling at her sides. “I take it you’re going after the Stormcloaks now?”

I almost wanted to smile, realizing by her words she hadn’t heard of the atrocities that had happened within the last few days. “With the Imperials and Thalmor on their knees begging forgiveness, the only high law left in this country is Ulfric, and the few soldiers he has left.”

“I wish you luck.” Sigrid said, and I nodded once, appreciative.

“And to you as well, maybe our paths will cross again on a brighter day.” Though I hadn’t been around Sigrid often, through the few times we had spoken I had come to like her presence. She was a fighter.

“Maybe.” There was a glint of hope in her voice, but it was quickly washed away, and then she turned, and walked off, disappearing around a corner.

“She sounded like she had more than just a bone to pick with someone.” Aldis said, stepping forward to my side.

“I wouldn’t doubt it.” I said shortly, then looked at Aldis. “I need to go get something from the Cistern. Stay here, will you?”

Aldis nodded, having stood watch for me the first time I went down into the Guild tonight. “Of course, but make it quick, alright?” He looked around, for a second. “I don’t want to be here for much longer.”

“I’ll make it quick.” I turned and walked to the coffin swiftly; pressing the button and then walking down the steps as fast as I could. I threw open the hatch to the Cistern and climbed down the ladder. I made my way around to where my bed was, having to climb over a small pile of rocks and stone on the way. Half of the wall had fallen in on my bed and a couple others, the chest at the foot of the bed had a couple large stones on top, and I pushed them off. The top was dented badly, but I was still able to unlock it with my key. Everything inside was still as I’d left it. I pushed aside a couple iron daggers from my childhood, an old hunter’s bow, and some old armor. At the bottom I picked up the small wooden box that had been a gift from Niruin.

I had to sit down as I went to open it, and even then, I had to pause. I looked over my shoulder, at the ruin that was once the home to the greatest thieves in Skyrim. But more importantly, home to those I called my family. There were ten or so bodies lying in the center of the Cistern, but there were many more simply scattered around the ruin, some had been crushed in the falling rubble though. I closed my eyes as I turned back to the box. It was funny after all the blood I’d seen and shed myself, that now, seeing the water under the center platform such a dark red make my stomach turn.

But then again, seeing the blood of loved ones is always harder than seeing that of your enemies.

My thumb ran over the edge of the wooden box, and finally I brought up the courage to open it.

Inside was a bracelet. A fabled one, at that. Carved from dragon bone, and infused with blood from the heart of a daedra, it had once belonged to my mother. Though I never spoke to my mother, and didn’t even have the chance to see her at an age of which I would be able to remember her, I know she was strong. She was a fighter, once a rogue, she stole and fought and killed, and finally settled down with my father and had me. Niruin used to tell me when I was a child. He only remembered what his father told him, but it was enough for me at the time. When he found me the night of the raid, he found me still in my mother’s arms. The bracelet had been on my arm then, pushed up to my forearm so it wouldn’t slide down. I’d had it ever since. I’d left it here when I joined the Stormcloaks, with my mind clouded with anger I had simply forgotten it. But now, I felt I needed it.

I never knew where my mother had gotten the bracelet, but I did have it looked at once to find out what it was made of. That’s when I’d found out it was called the Warrior’s Heart. Fabled for its unique make-up of dragon bone and daedra heart, it was said to bring focus to any killer mind. One the outside, the bracelet was smooth, creamy white, with red ribbons of blood that twisted all through it like vines. On the inside, it was covered with small bumps and carved spikes, though none were sharp enough to hurt. I ran my finger along the inside, and it did have a strange calming effect. The spikes were maybe sharper at one point, but it had been worn by many wrists over hundreds of years. A couple hundred years of being worn by warrior after warrior, murderer after murderer, and somehow it had found it’s way to me, when I was just a small child.

After everything that’s transpired over the last while, it frightened me now. A bracelet used to calm people who had killed and killed until they saw red all the time, and it seemed the bracelet knew what I was going to become before I even knew was death was.

“How fitting.” Ondolemar’s voice hit me suddenly, causing me to flinch slightly, my breath catching in my throat.

Now, I needed the bracelet because of more than just sentiment. I wanted my head clear when I went to kill Ulfric. The bracelet was all I had of my mother, and I hoped it would be the end of my own madness. Though in a way, I hated the thought of losing everyone again. Cynric, Niruin, and Ondolemar drove me. Their memories pushed me to go on.

I gently pushed the bracelet over my hand and to my wrist. It fit perfect, and I took a deep breath, sitting back, though I didn’t feel any better.

“I wish I could’ve known her better.” Malborn’s voice hit me. I hadn’t heard him before. “I barely remember her. Just bits and pieces of my memory still allow me to see her occasionally in my dreams.” His voice drifted to my left. “You’re like her.” It then drifted to my right. “She’d be proud.”

“She’d be terrified.” Niruin’s voice hit me hard, and I squeezed my eyes closed, wanting to ignore them. “She always fought, but she would be terrified of the murderer you’ve become.

I stood up quickly, dropping the wooden box into the chest, then slamming the lid closed. I turned on my heel, but froze at the icy eyes that stared at me.

Malborn stood in front of me, a smile on his face. “You shouldn’t listen to them, they’re just the parts of you you’re too afraid to listen to.” I took a step back from Malborn, his voice ringing in my head, though I saw his lips move.

“That’s exactly why I should listen, then.” I said, my voice cracking. I started this journey hard and angry, and now…everything had reduced me down to talking to myself as I was surrounded by my dead family.

“Exactly, you need to listen to yourself. It’s the only thing that makes sense.” Ondolemar’s voice was filled with his usual sarcasm, and I took a deep breath.

“In this world, it really is.” I whispered, shaking my head.

“You are better than all of this.” Malborn said, and grabbed my shoulders. “You can fight them, Vitrin.”

“Why?” I asked, my voice almost a scoff. “I am falling so far down this pile of bodies I’ve been sat upon for so long…and so many things are crumbling all around me, why not talk to my dead best friend and ex-lover? Why not let them heckle me into oblivion?”

“Because you’ll fail.” Malborn said sternly. “If you keep listening to them, you’ll get distracted, and Ulfric will wind up killing you. You have to fight!

“No we won’t. We drive you. We make you angrier, we give you the will to go on, V.” Niruin urged, and I nodded.

“I need them.” I agreed with him, noticing then how every time I heard him I got a little angrier. Not at the moment, but it was like his voice added to my stockpile of fury and anguish. “I may hate hearing them, but they drive me.” They were a constant reminder of the pain Ulfric had caused. “They’ll help me.”

“No they won’t!” Malborn yelled, and shook me once. “You can’t let yourself go like this! You can’t!”

“I can, damn you!” I yelled back, anger rising.

“Your own brother, talking down to you like you’re some beggar on the street, like he knows what’s best...” Cynric’s voice made me shake my head.

“He doesn’t.” I whispered, gritting my teeth. “You don’t know anything about me.” I growled, my heart cracking, but at the same time I could hardly feel the regret of yelling at a brother I knew so well, but then again didn’t know at all.

“Vitrin please! You cannot do this! They will control you. Don’t let them!” Malborn begged, but there was something off to how his voice sounded.

Suddenly, it hit me. “Why do you even care?” I asked, suddenly not understanding what was going on. “You’re just another one of them.” I shook my head, not understanding. “Get off me.” I pushed Malborn, and was startled when he actually let go of my shoulders and stumbled back, almost falling over the body of Rayvn.

“No I’m not!” He grabbed my shoulders again, his face pained. “I’m not! I’m real, Vitrin!”

Startled, I pushed him back again, backing up, around my bed. He followed. His face flickered Aldis, and I felt my breath catch in my throat. Who was he? Which was he?

“He’s lying, Vitrin.” Ondolemar. “Once he was real, yes, but now he’s nothing more than one of us.”

“Vitrin!” Malborn grabbed my shoulders again, and I was nearly back against the wall. “I am real, Vitrin! Please, you need to break out of this! You have to!” His face flickered Aldis again, and I closed my eyes for a second, shaking my head. When I opened them Malborn was still in front of me.

“Get away from me.” I whispered, and tried to push him again, but he pushed me back hard against the wall of rubble. Suddenly my head cleared. Aldis stood, his hands on my shoulders, his face begging me still.

“Vitrin, I am not one of them, I am here, I’m real!” Aldis yelled, and I nodded, slowly getting my breath back. I brought my hand up slowly, putting it against his scarred face.

“Aldis.” I breathed, and he smiled, closing his eyes momentarily before bringing his hands up to mine.

“I’m real.” He whispered quietly, seemingly relieved I had snapped out of that. “I thought you were gone.” He breathed, his voice hoarse from yelling at me.

“I-I’m sorry you had to see that.” I stuttered, my mind clear. I didn’t know exactly what had just happened, but I was grateful it was over. I had tried so hard to keep this from Aldis, but I suppose now he knew everything.

“What’s happening?” Aldis whispered, pressing his face into my hand, and I shook my head.

“They’re getting worse. I can’t do anything to stop them anymore they just…start talking and it’s so hard to ignore them…” I leaned forward, my hand falling from Aldis’ face as I buried my face in his chest.

“It’s okay. But you have to keep your wits about you. We’re in the final stretch of this, I can feel it. You cannot fall apart now, you’ve been so strong.” Aldis told me, and I nodded against his armor before standing up straight.

“Let’s get out of here.”

I couldn’t bear to stay in the Cistern another moment. The memories, and bodies were too much on me. As we left the Cistern however, we were met with another familiar face. At first, my mind got the best of me and I stopped, diverting my eyes, thinking it was just my head, but then when Aldis reacted to him, I realized he was actually there.

“Brynjolf, what are you doing?” Aldis asked, stepping forward to Brynjolf, and he drew his sword.

“Stormcloaks. I ran into a small group that was headed this way. Came back to warn you.” Brynjolf spoke quickly, but I heard them, footsteps moving closer and closer. “I barely got in here before they saw me.”

“Get ready to fight.” I said, grabbing my bow for once, composing myself, hearing footsteps drawing closer from behind the Guild’s secret entrance.

Aldis looked at me worryingly. “Are you able to-”

“I’m fine.” I told him shortly, and before anyone could say anything else the first Stormcloak rounded the corner. I grabbed an arrow from the quiver and swiftly drew it and let it loose into the helmet of the first man. He went down, and I grabbed another arrow, hoping they would simply funnel through the alley. I heard a yell from other soldiers, and just then another rounded the corner. I loosed another arrow and it threaded through the eye slit of the helmet.

“They’re flanking!” Aldis yelled, and I heard metal on metal behind me, but I focused on taking out the few who were running through. I drew and loosed an arrow into one man’s chest, and he fell backward with the force. Another stumbled over the body of a fallen comrade and I-

“You’re never going to make it to Ulfric.” I flinched at Niruin’s voice and my arrow missed and went into the Stormcloak’s shoulder. I took a deep breath through my nose as the man charge at me, screaming in pain. I loosed an arrow into his open mouth and he fell back, his greatsword flying from his hand. But two other Stormcloaks were drawing near because I’d taken too long to take out the one. I put my bow away, and drew my sword, bringing fire into my sword, and ice into my hand. I could still hear Aldis and Brynjolf fighting behind me.

I kept my composure best I could as the flaming sword in my hand went through the ribcage of one man with ease. I shot ice out towards the other man, freezing him solid before I drew my sword from a ribcage and swung it into the ice statue I’d made. It felt good to use my magic for once. I’d been relying on basic combat for a while.

“Feel that?” Ondolemar’s voice was a whisper in my ear as three more men rushed me, and the sound of Bryn and Aldis slowly faded. I sprayed a quick blast of ice over the three enemies in front of me, not enough to freeze them solid, just enough to cause pain, and they all screamed out in agony, dropping their weapons with numb hands. “Feels good, doesn’t it? The agony? The screams?” In one swift motion I swung wide, severing a head, and slitting a throat. Then I grabbed the last by the neck, and brought sparks to my fingers as I electrocuted the final man, and his screams as he convulsed in my grasp brought me so much pleasure… “This is who you are, Vitrin. This is who we are.”

The assault was over, and I stood there surrounded by bodies, breathing heavy, full sound returning to my ears. I could feel the warm blood of one of the Stormcloaks on my face. I reached up and wiped it with two fingers. I looked down at them, seeing that for once, I wasn’t hallucinating the blood. I rubbed the substance between my fingers. This was someone’s life. This was what made them up, what flowed through their veins, and kept them alive. And now it was splattered across my face like messy paint.

“It’s okay to be a killer, Vitrin.” Cynric’s voice whispered, and I nodded. I was a killer, and that was completely okay. I slowly brought a hand over to my side. Whenever I heard Cynric it was like I could feel that damned blade in my side again. I ignored it the best I could.

“Vitrin…” I turned quickly at the voice, sword going to throat of who it had come from. “You alright?” Aldis asked, raising his eyebrows, and I lowered my blood soaked sword.

“Yes, I’m sorry, I- you startled me.” I whispered and Aldis muttered.

“I understand.” Aldis said, nodding, looking around at the bodies. “Good job.” He muttered, seeming almost worried, though. “Are you sure you’re-”

“Vitrin! Come here!” Brynjolf yelled for a few feet away, and I quickly sheathed my sword, jogging over to him, Aldis right behind me.

“What?” I asked, seeing him hovering over a Stormcloak. He stood up straight as he turned to me, something in his hands.

“This one had this in his hand.” Brynjolf handed me a letter, covered in blood. I took it from him, and noticed the seal right away.

“From Ulfric himself.” Aldis mentioned before I had the chance, noticing the seal as he peered over my shoulder.

I opened the letter. Written in small letters in the very middle of the page was his note.

I’ll be waiting in Windhelm.

I showed the letter to Aldis, then handed it to Brynjolf.

“You shouldn’t go.” Brynjolf said, folding the letter and handing it back. “He’ll be there with an army, and more. Going in without him knowing is the best route. He’s just invited you into a room full of probably around a hundred armed soldiers.”

“What army?” I asked with a scoff, stuffing the letter into a pocket. “I’ve killed hundreds of his men, General Tullius, Legate Rikke, and Elenwen are all dead, all that’s left is him.” I said, and Brynjolf’s expression slowly dropped as I revealed to him my workings over the last months. “I have to go. He’s the last one.” With the queen dead, not only would this solve my vengeance, but if I wanted, I would also have a claim for throne.

“We have to go.” Aldis agreed, knowing how much this meant to me, I was sure. “We’ve fought like hell to get this far, I’ve been tortured by the Imperials and scarred forever in this.” Aldis said, stressing his point. “We have to do this.” He glanced at me out of the corner of his eye, taking a deep breath.

“Well I can’t stop you, I can only send my best.” Brynjolf said, seemingly realizing that it was no use attempting to stop us now. “I want that bastard dead, but I don’t want to lose you.” Brynjolf muttered, his voice getting soft. “We’re all that’s left of the Guild, lass.” He planted a hand on my shoulder. “You have to make it so we can rebuild.” I smiled at his words, and nodded.

“I know. We’ve got this under control.”

“Weren’t you going to find Sigrid?” Aldis asked, changing the subject before our hearts grew too dark.

“Yes, but I had to turn back when I saw the soldiers because I knew the two of you were in the city.” Brynjolf confirmed, his face lightening.

“We met her here, and she said she was heading for the Brotherhood.” I informed him shortly, figuring he might as well meet up with her. “She seemed angry about something.” She sounded like she was ready to fight the world.

“I better go see if I can catch her. Are you two alright to head on to Windhelm?” He looked between Aldis and I, and I nodded quickly.

“We will be fine, Brynjolf. Go after Sigrid.” I told him, and he sighed heavily.

“After you get rid of Ulfric, come find me. With any luck, I’ll probably be back here, or possibly Dawnstar.” Brynjolf instructed, and I nodded in understanding.

“We’ll find you, don’t worry.” I said, and Brynjolf hugged me tightly.

“Next time I see you, Skyrim will be a better place, I hope.” Brynjolf chuckled as he pulled away, and then he turned to Aldis. “Take care, Imperial.” He offered a smile, and Aldis held out his hand. Brynjolf shook it.

“Safe travels.” Aldis said with a smile, and Brynjolf nodded once, taking another glace at me before he turned and we parted ways.

I took a deep breath as I stood with Aldis, and I looked around at all the bodies of Stormcloaks around us. The next person on my hit list was the closest to my blade he’d ever been.

“Windhelm?” Aldis looked at me, and I looked at him, and nodded.

“Windhelm.” I confirmed.
______

It was taking us time to get to Windhelm. It would be at least a day until we get to the city. We would make it sooner but as we neared the city the snow grew thicker and thicker, until we had to take shelter for a while because we could not see to walk.

“You can’t simply walk in and kill him, Vitrin. He will fight. You will be outnumbered by his men.” Ondolemar continued to plague me. Along with Niruin and Cynric, they were slowly tearing me down, and the anger was consuming me second by second.

“Yes I can.” I whispered, not wanting to acknowledge them, but I had to.

“No, you can’t. You spent years around those men, you know how they fight and you may be able to counter them and outsmart them but if they outnumber you then you have no chance. They don’t work with coherence, they work with numbers.” I didn’t want to admit that Ondolemar was right. Ulfric’s numbers would be tough to get through.

“We’ll make it.” I whispered quietly.

“He won’t. He’s too weak. He-” I cut Niruin off.

“Shut up.” I growled suddenly, not about to listen to him belittle Aldis. He was better, I could tell. He wasn’t hiding in the shadows today, he was recovering. I could feel him staring at me now, though. “I’m sorry, I’m trying.” I whispered to Aldis, closing my eyes before rubbing them with my hands.

“It’s okay, work through it in your own time, it’s fine.” Aldis rubbed my back, and I sighed, shaking my head as I went to turning my mother’s bracelet around my wrist. It was rather soothing. “But when we get to Windhelm, I need you at your best.”

“I know. I’ll be okay. If anything they…help me.” I hated admitting it more than I thought I would. Though I’d already faced it in the Cistern, I hated admitting it completely lucid. “They bring me anger, rage, and I need that.”

“That’s fine with me as long as you don’t have another episode like you did in the Cistern.” Aldis spoke quietly, and the wind howling outside of the cave we’d taken shelter in nearly drowned him out.

“I don’t know what happened in there, I guess the emotions of everything just overwhelmed me.” I leaned into Aldis, and he put his arm around my shoulders. I wasn’t cold, but by the way Aldis was shaking slightly I knew he was. I’d simply become numb to the elements I’d been out in them so often. The cold simply blew through me.

“How are you so warm…” Aldis pondered out loud, and I took one of his cold hands, holding it between mine.

“It’s all the anger.” Cynric hissed in my head, and I just closed my eyes.

“Is that what you went back for?” Aldis asked, and I felt his cold fingers brush over the bracelet as he broke free from my own hands. “It’s beautiful.”

“It was my mother’s.” I told him shortly, and he nodded silently, moving his hand back between mine. I rubbed my thumb over some scarring over the side of his hand.

“It fits you.” Aldis said, a smile in his voice. He was right. It did fit me; it looked like it was made for my wrist, and its history molded perfectly to mine.

“It’s called the Warrior’s Heart. It calms anger. It’s been worn by warriors and soldiers, and killers, and murders all alike. I found it rather frightening, I feel that it knew my future before I knew it myself.” I informed him and he seemed to think for a moment.

“Perhaps it was fate.”

“I don’t believe in fate.” I was quick to shake my head slightly, eyes still closed. “I like to believe I’m in control of my life and where it goes. But maybe it was fate.”

“Sometimes you cannot chose your fate.” Niruin’s voice for once wasn’t condescending or threatening, but solemn.

I expected the heavy snow to lift within the hour, and then we’d be on our way to Windhelm.

“After Ulfric, what’s your plan?” Aldis asked after a moment of silence.

I already knew my plan. “The High Queen was assassinated just a few days before I left the Stormcloaks. I was on the assignment at the time of trying to find out who did it. From what I know, with everyone focused on finding and killing me, they haven’t voted anyone new into the Throne. With Elenwen, Tullius, Rikke, and Ulfric dead, I think I’ll have a decent claim to the throne from fear alone after killing four of the most defensive people in all of Skyrim. I’ll take the throne, if I can, and I’ll fix this country.”

“That’s quite the plan.” Aldis commented soon after I finished telling him my plans. “With all the people you’ve killed…you shouldn’t have a difficult time taking it.”

“I’ve killed too many people, if you ask me.” I whispered, finally opening my eyes, looking out the mouth of the cave, but all there was to see was a curtain of white.

“Kill one man and you're a murderer. Kill millions and you're a conqueror. Kill them all, and you're a god. So what does that make you, Vitrin?” Niruin asked me, his voice echoed around my head for a moment.

“A god…” I whispered, my voice sounding nothing more than a ponder. Aldis ignored it.

“You’ve done what you had to do.” Aldis spoke quietly again, his voice nearly getting drowned in the howling of the wind.

I took in a deep breath of the cold air, and it burned my lungs. “All in an attempt at retribution.”

“But has it been worth it? All the people you’ve lost…just to kill one man… If it was me, I’d rather die a thousand times over. I’d face the depths of Hell every day of my life rather than watch you die.” Cynric’s voice struck me suddenly, and I squeezed my eyes closed, cocking my head slightly. I’d never thought of it like that.

I’d lost a brother, a best friend, a lover, countless friends, and a whole family due to my acts of vengeance.

Was it even worth it?

“I’ve lost so many all to kill one man… Gods, and it’s nearly over, finally.” I let out a breath, a wave of relief washing over my mind. My thumb still traced the scar on Aldis’ hand.

“Nearly. But not yet. We’ve only just made it to the biggest challenge yet.” Aldis’ voice was laced with worry.

“We will overcome.” I assured, turning my attention back to the heavily falling snow.
______

The snow had thinned out, and we arrived in Windhelm just after dark set in. The city was empty, everyone had returned to their homes for the night. But one thing that sent a chill down my spine was that there were no guards. Even after citizens holed up in their houses to escape the night, guards usually patrolled the city, torches in hand, swords at their sides. But tonight, there were none. Candlehearth Hall was even empty, not a single light emanating from the windows, and no smoke wafting from the chimney.

“He’s here.” My voice sounded louder than I’d liked in the empty city. Aldis just glanced at me, and we continued to the Palace of Kings in the Valstrund district.

Standing before the two wooden doors was nerve-racking, but my hands didn’t shake as I reached out and pushed them open, Aldis behind me, drawing his sword.

My eyes landed upon Ulfric immediately, sitting upon his throne. I lost all track of thought. “There is no am-”

“Wrong.” Niruin’s voice hit me at the same time that a war axe was thrown, and my hand was still flat on the door. The war axe hit two of my fingers, and I screamed in agony, drawing my sword as I turned and swung, just as a Stormcloak rushed me. My whole left arm was shaking in pain as I cradled it to my chest, not having the time to check to see what fingers I’d lost. Aldis let out a growl, and I turned to see him fending off an attack from a soldier wielding a battle axe. My attention was caught back as a sword flew my way, and I had to turn and duck to avoid it, and I drew my sword as I did, standing just as I was able to bring it down across my attacker’s chest.

There were men coming at us from both sides.

There were so many emotions going through me as I glanced in Ulfric’s direction swiftly, seeing he was still there. He was distracting, because I was so close. I began attempting to move forward through the Palace, and Aldis followed, staying behind me, the two of us fending off attackers from both sides. I continued the fight with my profusely bleeding hand, and I could feel the blood loss affecting me more and more each second. But as we continued fighting, I noticed soon the soldiers stopped coming, and we were both left with only a couple enemies each. I let my focus wander for just a second as I noticed we were almost through the fight, and I felt a stinging on the shoulder of the arm that was still cradled to my chest, and I hissed, and swung my sword, the blade coming down across the face of one man, the sword cutting through his skull. He fell, and I slammed my sword into the stomach of the last attacker, and he let out one last strained breath before I pulled my sword from his stomach and he too fell lifeless.

Aldis was panting behind me. We were only a mere six or so feet from Ulfric. “We did it.” He breathed, and we turned to face one another. “Gods, your hand, are you okay?” He asked, and took a step towards me, and I nodded.

“I’m-” I stopped, being cut off as my face was suddenly sprayed with blood. I took in a sharp breath, and stumbled a step back.

Aldis’ head fell at my feet, his body falling to his knees, then the ground. I convulsed, my breath gone, a scream escaping me.

No!” I yelled, my body not working as I jerked my head up to see his killer.

“Do not expect an apology, Vitrin.” Niruin spoke differently than the last time I’d seen him, though he looked the same. His voice was filled with something that sounded almost inhuman.

“You…you…” My voice didn’t work, my arm left arm injured still and shaking against my stomach.

Niruin looked at Ulfric, then at me. “He took me in, and I knew it was my best bet in finding you, and now, we can go back to the Guild. Everything will be fine, Vitrin.”

“No it won’t!” I yelled, fighting the tears in my eyes. “The Guild is gone, Niruin! He killed them all!” I screamed then, pointing at Ulfric, with nothing but disdain in my voice. “Everyone is dead! He was all I had left!” I couldn’t even comprehend my own feelings, and that was what scared me the most. I was angry, I was sad, I…I felt like I was dying on the inside.

“No, he wasn’t. You still have me!” Niruin yelled back, and stepped over Aldis’ body to me. I stepped back quickly, bringing my sword out in front of me.

“Kill him.” Cynric seethed in my head. The ghost blade was cold in my side again. “He killed the last person you had left that loved you. Kill him.”

“I will kill you, Niruin.” I growled through gritted teeth, ignoring the tears still threatening me. Niruin stopped for a moment, then shook his head.

“You can’t. I am all you have now.” He said like he believed it himself. “But if you really want to kill me, then do it.” He held his arms out from his sides. An invitation.

I didn’t hesitate after his words. I didn’t think, I just acted. I shoved the sword up under his chin, through his head and out the top of his skull. I stepped closer to his face as he gurgled, his eyes rolled halfway back into his head. His face twitched, and I kept my teeth gritted as I stared into his half-dead eyes, blood dripping out of one.

“I lost you long ago.” I whispered, and let him fall to the side, his body slightly convulsing once, before he ceased moving altogether.

I looked at Aldis’ body and severed head, and got increasingly dizzy as I did, the blood loss from my hand forcing me to my knees. I looked down at my hand finally, seeing I was missing my ring and pinkie finger on my left hand. I sighed, shaking my head, looking at Aldis’ body.

“He was a good man.” Ondolemar’s voice comforted shortly in my head, and I let out a heavy breath.

“You should’ve never come this far with me.” I whispered, knowing that if we had of parted ways after we first met, Aldis would still be alive. Ignoring the pain in my chest, I couldn’t look at him any longer. I slowly stood, my whole body feeling weak. I put one foot on Niruin’s forehead as I grabbed the hilt of my sword. I pulled it out, and Niruin’s neck snapped as I did so. I stumbled back slightly as I got the sword free, and then stood for a moment, getting my balance back.

I looked back at the bodies strewn about the walkway, and then I looked at Niruin and Aldis in front of me. Slowly, then I raised my head to look at Ulfric. He shifted in his chair as I did so.

“Is this what you wanted?” I asked, my voice sounding weaker than it felt. “All this death and destruction?”

He looked around, then shook his head. “No. Those were the last soldiers I had. Now they’re lying dead in the hall, along with the former Captain of the Solitude Guard and the man you used to consider a brother.” He looked straight at me. “You’ve killed nearly every Imperial and Thalmor, and every single Stormcloak in Skyrim, and in doing so, you’ve also killed everyone you knew and loved.” Ulfric offered a half smile. I stepped in between the two bodies at my feet, slowly making my way closer to Ulfric. “If you were fighting for me, I’d say you’ve done a good job.”

I narrowed my eyes in disgust when I got within two feet of him. “I’m not fighting for you.” I sneered, disgusted that he’d even think I would.

"Yes, but why do you fight? If not for me, what then?" He asked, leaning forward, his arms on his knees, his hands clasped together.

“For Cynric, Ondolemar…Brynjolf, the Guild… for my brother, Malborn. For my parents. My home.” I sighed. “For him.” I said, pointing with my sword back to Aldis. “For the last person I actually loved on this damned planet.” I cringed and made a fist with my remaining fingers, the pain getting the best of me. I brought my eyes back to Ulfric. “But what would you know about fighting?” I asked with a scoff. “All you’ve done this whole time is run.”

“No, I have fought.” Ulfric said defiantly, standing. “I’ve fought for many, and I’m still fighting.” He stepped down to me. There was only a foot between us. “I fight because I must. But you…you fight because you can. Because you felt betrayed. Because for once, you were able to see what kept this country afloat.” Anger grew in his voice. “What we had with Elenwen worked! Now this whole country will fall because you felt betrayed!” He finally raised his voice at me, and I scoffed again, almost wanting to laugh.

“Skyrim was on the verge of being caught in a Civil War between Stormcloaks and Imperials, if anything by seeing what was really going on and acting, I’ve saved more lives than I’ve taken.” I told him, smiling slightly. “Most importantly, my retribution is almost complete. After everyone I’ve lost trying to get to you, there is nothing stopping me from killing you now.” I tightened my grip on my sword, and Ulfric shook his head, letting out a deep breath.

“You are so oblivious to so much, it truly amazes me. I remember when you came to the Stormcloaks ready to join; I let you not just because of the determination and fire in your eyes…” He trailed off for a moment, like he got lost in memories. “But it is nice to see you still held on to that.”

“I should have killed you that day before I left.” I whispered, knowing I was right. “I had both you and Elenwen in one room, and I could’ve saved myself so much trouble…”

“If you have to kill me, so be it.” Ulfric said with a sense of retreat. “But you will regret it.” He spoke like it was a fact.

“And why’s that?” I asked, voice dripping in mockery. I saw his eyes move down to the bracelet on my left wrist, and then back to my eyes.

“I was there the night your mother was killed.” I could feel my heart skip a bet at his words.

“No, don’t-”

“Let him go on.” Cynric whispered in my head, and I listened.

“I knew her better than you know.” He stepped closer to me again and I shook my head.

“Don’t start this, you bastard-”

He narrowed his eyes slightly in curiosity it seemed. “Have you ever wondered why your features are so soft for that of an elf? I visited her for years while I was on duty, and then you were born, and I fell in love with her. The night of the last raid, I was there when she died.” I gritted my teeth.

“No.” I growled, not wanting to think about where I thought he was going. “Don’t do this to me now.”

“Think about it. I would’ve never taken an elf on into the Stormcloaks, Vitrin. Not unless you were-”

“No!” I screamed, and shoved my sword through his stomach.

“My…daughter…” His voice was pained, and my head spun wildly.

“No…” I growled, not believing him. I wouldn’t. His eyes widened as I twisted the sword, and finally he drew a dagger and slashed at my armor, but then I felt the blade get stuck deep into my side, making me cry out and let go of my own sword, falling to the side, his blade sticking further into my flesh. I squeezed my eyes shut, and rolled off the dagger, letting out a pained growl as I slowly pulled it from my body.

“You’re the daughter of the very man you hate.” Cynric whispered, and I shook my head, dropping Ulfric’s dagger.

“No…no…” I slowly got to my knees, my head spinning and my vision blurry. I heard the large palace doors close, and I saw that Ulfric was gone. He was escaping.

“You know what this means? He is truly the last of your family.” Ondolemar’s words were true, and I hated that.

I grabbed my sword with my right hand, the three fingers on my left hand I was using to attempt to stop the heavy flow of blood out of my side. I’d lost so much blood already I could just barely get to my feet, my sword weighed heavier than ever in my hand as I slowly made my way out of the Palace of Kings, stumbling around and over bodies before I made it outside. I opened the door and leaned against it, getting my breath before standing up and letting it close. Stumbling down the steps and through snow that was falling heavier by the second, I noticed a light on the first floor of Candlehearth Hall.

By the time I got to the doors, I had to stop, leaning on them. My breathing was heavy, and my vision was still blurred. It took all of my strength to shove open the door. I didn’t know how long it had even taken me to get to the Inn. A lone light in the far back corner caught my eye, and I slowly walked towards it.

Ulfric sat alone, wheezing inhumanly, and staring at the floor. Blood dripped out of the corner of his mouth. I sat down across from him. The candle on the table flickered.

I could feel my breathing getting weaker with every breath I took. Ulfric finally looked up at me. He looked like he was about to say something, but gave up, closing his eyes as he looked back to the floor. He was it. He was the last person. He had been my main target, and now he was dying.

Ulfric coughed violently, blood coming out of his mouth in specks. I watched as then, his breathing stopped. With that last violent cough, the wheezing breaths of the dying man ceased, and he died, right there.

Looking down to my own wounds, I pondered only for a moment if I could make it to help. I stood, and dragged myself out of the Inn, but as I got outside, the cold wind made me stumble, and I was pitched forward off the platform that led up to the door of the Inn, and I coughed as I hit the ground hard, noticing little specks of blood flying out of my mouth. I sighed, seeing the red in the snow.

I rolled over onto my back, looking up at the sky.

“What did any of this accomplish, Vitrin?” Niruin’s voice plagued me. “Now you’re just going to die alone.” I coughed again, and finally removed my badly injured hand from my bleeding side. I had lost too much blood, there was no use in attempting to ease it.

“You are not alone.” Aldis’ voice soothed me, but also made my heart break a little more. Out of all the people I wanted to live, he was the one I wanted to survive the most. But from the moment he took my hand and dragged me from Solitude, I knew that was never an option. He was doomed from that moment on.

Maybe it was fate.

Maybe Aldis was right.

Maybe fate took us all. Time rots, and fate steals.

“You’ve been directly or indirectly responsible for the deaths of everyone, Vitrin. Not a soul who had the pleasure of caring for you is still breathing.” Niruin’s voice returned with more malice. “You truly are a monster. A side effect of lies and corruption.”

“You are not a side effect of anything. You are strong, and determined, and there is a fire that burns in you that no one can put out. Not even death.” Aldis’ voice seemed to strain to make me hold on. “I loved you for that.”

“I love you.” I whispered to the sky– to Aldis, wherever he was. I realized I never got to tell him that while he was alive. “I love you.” My breaths were short and far in-between, my lips barely moving, and the words that came from them were near silent as they bled from my mouth into the air; the last wisps of life I had fleeting from my body through their meaning.

I never got a reply; I could feel my mind beginning to slip, taking the voices with it, and soon all was silent.

Skyrim’s stars twinkled above me through the heavy snow that had begun to cover my body. The cold had begun to numb all the pain. Finally, I let go, and closed my eyes, laying there in the blood stained snow.

I let the darkness close in, and in that darkness I slipped off into a deeper, more permanent kind.

The voices were gone.

And I was alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, this is my last chapter, and the end of Vitrin's side of this story.

One more chapter to go.

M.R.