Status: Completed. Thank you for reading.

Dark Waters

Family Runs Deep

-vitrin’s pov-

I couldn’t bring myself to go back to Windhelm. Not even to gather my things from my quarters in the Palace of the Kings.

I needed to head to Riften. I needed to find Niruin. I needed someone who I could trust that I could spill out all these things to. Someone who would make everything okay, like he always could.

As I made my way through Kynesgrove, I’d hoped to make it to Cragslane Cavern by morning. I should’ve had my mind on my surrounding, but I didn’t; I had my mind on other subjects that felt much more important. My family.

Niruin raised me. When my parents died, he brought me to Skyrim to get away from the Thalmor, and he brought me up in Riften after he joined the Thieves Guild. Our parents died on the same night, during one of the Thalmor’s purges that wiped out a large portion of the Bosmer in the end. I remember growing up and thinking he was my father. I didn’t remember what few years I had in Valenwood because my mind chose to block it out because of the night everything was robbed from me. When I was eighteen, he finally scrounged up the courage to tell me what happened to my parents. He told me they were killed by the Thalmor, and so were his. I remember how angry I felt that he’d kept that from me. That was the whole reason I joined the Stormcloaks, and became a spy in the Thalmor Embassy. I wanted them all dead. Every last one of them, I wanted to see the snow turn red with their blood. I wanted to see their heads roll along the frosted grounds. For years, that was all I ever wanted. Now this has transpired and brought the whole world I knew crumbling down.

I left Niruin because I was angry that my parents were actually dead and that he hadn’t told me for years on end. But now, as I walk on soft grass with no snow crunching under my feet, I can’t help but wonder how I’ll tell him all that’s happened. I felt horrible the more I thought about leaving him so long ago.

It’d been six years since he’d seen me. Not a day went by that I didn’t think of him.

I wondered how the Guild was doing. I grew up not knowing what was happening around me, not knowing where I was living, but when I got older, I joined the Guild when I was sixteen. None of them knew the connection between Niruin and I, and none of them would. Only Valek, who used to be my best friend as a child. I could just hope everything was the way it was when I left, or maybe even better.

By morning I had made it to Cragslane Cavern. I hadn’t slept the night. I just walked. And I didn’t stop at the cavern, either. I could hear the pit wolves in their cages outside of the cave, and shortly after one of the bouncers hitting weapons against the metal to quiet the animals. The inside was usually scattered with bandits and gamblers, and the lone barkeep that carried around a dagger.

Two miles South of the cavern, I ran into two men who weren’t interested in chatter as I was stopped on the road.

“Vitrin, correct?” The older looking of the two said, and I tilted my head slightly to the left.

“Depends on who’s asking.” I said and he nodded once and they both pounced. I drew my sword as they pulled theirs, and I quickly made a jab for the older one, but he jumped back. The younger took a swing and I ducked, swiping at his legs and he howled in pain as he dropped to his knees. The other let out a growl as he brought his sword up over his head, but I dodged to the left and slashed my blade against the younger’s throat, who was already down, killing him. I brought a hand up, flames coming to my fingertips, and the other man’s eyes flared with anger. He jumped at me and I let a ball of fire shoot from my fingers, missing the man, but he fell as he jumped away, and I was quickly upon him, a cold elven blade at his throat. “Who sent you?” I already knew well who had sent them, but I needed confirmation.

“I’ll never tell.”

“Fine.” I pressed the blade down swiftly, and his head came off with a thunk. “Damn Ulfric.” I muttered to the air as I stood from the man’s body, and quickly walked off, leaving the two. There was a Stormcloak camp a good few miles from here, but they all traveled around, so one of them would find the two and dispose of them. I just hope I sent a good message.

I was on my toes as I moved towards Riften. Ulfric knew I couldn’t be trusted. The man hired me to spy on people and tell lies for a living. He also knew where I’d came from before I moved to Windhelm, and any Nord worth their weight in septims would tell you that you never trust a member of the Thieves Guild. I was beginning to believe Ulfric was no man. He was a monster. He wanted me dead for what I knew, and I should’ve suspected as much. Though as I arrived in Riften, and made my way around the back wall and into the cemetery, towards the secret entrance, I was rethinking my plan of telling Niruin what had taken place. I pressed the button that drew back the coffin, and descended the stairs, pulling the chain as I went by and not waiting to watch as it moved back into place. I opened the cistern’s entrance and descended into the dark tunnel. Rung by rung I took the ladder slowly, hopping off two rungs from the last. I was taken into two arms, a dagger pressed against my throat and a familiar voice in my ears.

“And who is this? Is it someone new?” Rayvn’s voice whispered and I smirked.

“What do you expect to do with that little pig sticker?” I asked of the Orcish blade against my windpipe. The Dunmer froze.

“Could it be?”

“It could.” The blade was lowered and I turned around with a smirk.

“I’ll be damned.” He whispered, light glowering around him from the cistern. “Few are asleep, most of us are still up, but it’s so late, you’ve caught us like sitting ducks, I suppose.” He told me and I nodded, knowing it was well after midnight.

“Nonsense. The Guild is always on its toes. Is Niruin still around?” I asked, and he nodded quickly.

“Yes, of course, of course.” He said quickly. “Though I must be going; I have a job to tend to.” He brushed past me and I walked on into the Cistern, most of the candles out.

“V!” Rune greeted me with a large smile, and I returned the expression as he slung an arm around me. “Finally back to stay a good few years?”

“Just the night. I have things to tend to elsewhere, I’m afraid.” I felt bad telling him this. It made me feel like he thought the only thing I needed from them was a safe place to stay. “Do you know where Niruin is?” I asked and he nodded.

“Training room. He’ll be more than happy to see to see you.” The warm smile spread across his face wider and he patted me on the back as I moved past him, heading towards the lead crowded side of the room and towards the training quarters.

Niruin was shooting arrows and I stood in the entryway for a moment, watching him quickly hit a bull’s-eye on each target. He smiled at what he’d done afterwards and I decided to speak up.

“Still chasing arrows?” I piped up quietly and Niruin’s head looked over at me quickly, as I walked towards him, and he threw his arms around me just when I was close enough, holding onto me tightly.

“My god, you’re alive.” He whispered into my hair, still holding me close. I wrapped my arms around him, doing the same as I enjoyed every second of the moment that was well overdue.

“Did you actually think I’d be dead?” I asked, and he sighed, his arms tightening.

“I never thought you’d come back. It’s been six years, Vitrin.” He spoke softly and a feeling In my gut arose.

“I know.” My words were soft as he breathed out heavily. “I’m so sorry it’s taken me this long to come home.”

“Don’t fret.” He whispered, pulling away from me finally. “I’m just glad you’re back. I hope you’re staying awhile.” He sounded so hopeful and I nodded.

“A few days.” I couldn’t leave so soon. The feelings pulling me towards him were too strong.

He was family.

We migrated soon to the Ragged Flagon, and Valek greeted me with open arms and a sloppy kiss to the temple before Niruin and I sat down at a far table and began talking. I didn’t care that I’d been walking for two days and hadn’t slept at all, I just wanted to talk with Niruin.

I told him everything except what happened with Ulfric and Elenwen. I couldn’t risk having him know. They’d come after him too. He told me all that had happened here while I was away, and we exchanged stories of our separate travels. But then the conversation veered back towards our history. It turned towards what happened between us, and it wouldn’t move from there, when finally Niruin told me something I wasn’t sure I even wanted to know.

“V, there’s…there’s something I feel I should tell you. Something I should say about your family.” His tone was slightly anxious, but nervous. “I never told you years ago because I was afraid you’d become obsessed, and I’d already searched everywhere for him and couldn’t find him, but I do I have a guess from an old friend.”

“Find who?” I questioned, already alert from the mention of more information on my family.

“You have a brother, Vitrin.” I stared Niruin in the eyes, shocked but also hopeful. A brother?

“I have a brother?”

“Yes, his name was Malborn. He had been on a trip to North Tamriel, to a small town and he wasn’t there the night Valenwood was raided. He survived.”

“Malborn…Malborn. That name…” I knew that name from somewhere but where? I’d heard it before.

“I may know where he is.” My heart jumped at the words. “After you left, I told Delvin and Brynjolf about everything, and that I wanted to find him, and they helped. We just got a location a few months ago. I haven’t contacted him, but we did try to contact you, to no avail. You cover your tracks too well.”

“Where is he?” It was all that was going through my head. I had a brother. I had family other than Niruin.

“We believe he’s a bartender of sorts at the Thalmor Embassy. He’s an inside man, we suppose. As far as we’ve come to find out, he’s been attempting to gather information and corrupt the Thalmor from the inside. He’s been at this now for years.”

“Malborn.” The name finally hit home with me, and I smiled slightly. “Malborn. I used to sit and spill my troubles to him late at night.” He’s my brother. The man I used to sit and drink with, and share stories with, who I always would tell myself in those hazy thoughts, ‘Everyone has to go, but I like this one, so he can stay.’ All this time I thought my family was dead, but he was right under my nose.

“We can set off at morning to find him. But since he’s inside the Embassy and undercover at that, we’ll have to be sneaky, though I suppose that’s our strength.”

“Niruin, I don’t think you should come.” I knew he could sense the slight worry in my voice.

“Is something wrong?”

“I can’t really tell you. I’d be too dangerous.” I whispered and the worry on his face grew.

“Vitrin, is something wrong?” He asked again, more emphasis and worry plaguing the tone.

“I cannot tell you, Niruin. It’d be too dangerous. Things just went sour between the Embassy and I. It was a reason I quit.” Niruin looked as if he wanted to question me more and object, but he knew how independent I could be, and seemed to take the easier option of just nodding understandingly.

Later that night, Niruin forced me to sleep in his bed while he took a pallet on the floor. I was exhausted, but my mind was racing. I had to go back to the Thalmor Embassy. I hadn’t planned on that in a thousand years. But if it was to see Malborn, I’d walk through Sovngarde to get to him.

“Are you feeling alright?” Niruin asked quietly from beside me, and I rolled onto my side, peering down at him and nodded.

“I feel fine. The two days walk has taken its toll, though.” He smiled slightly, understandingly as he took my hand from the edge of the bed.

“You don’t know how grateful I am to see you again.” Niruin whispered, twining our fingers as he pulled my hand close to his chest, resting over his heart.

“I’m so sorry I left. It was just…it was too much, at the time.”

“You know, the first few days, I thought you were just gone to cool off. Then when a week passed, then a month, and soon after, a whole year, and I thought something bad had happened. I thought you had gotten killed by something or someone.”

“You know I’m too good with a sword to let something like that happen.”

“Words can’t really describe how grateful I am that you’re alive and that you’ve chosen to come back.”

“Of course I came back. You’re family. You’re the only family I knew through my whole life.” I could see a small smile spread across his face in the dark. Quiet voices chattered in the dark across from us as we continued. “You’re the only family I ever needed.”

“Family runs deep.” He confirmed, keeping his hold on my hand secure.

“But we run deeper than most.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah so I suck at schedules.

M.R.