Status: Completed. Thank you for reading.

Dark Waters

Sheathing Lives

-vitrin’s pov-

I wish I could have stayed for another day or two, but I needed to get to Malborn. Niruin understood, and so did the others. They were all happy to see me back at the Guild again, but understood my need to leave so soon. I promised that once I’d contacted Malborn, I’d be back.

I wasn’t sure how true the words resonated, but I could see in Cynric’s eyes as he walked me out, that they didn’t resonate too well.

“I don’t mean to pry, but if you would tell me what’s wrong, I’m sure we could get something done.” Cynric said as he walked towards the chain to haul back the coffin that hid us. But he didn’t pull it, instead he turned towards me as he leaned on the wall.

“What makes you think something’s wrong?” I asked, and he took a deep breath, pulling his hood back before crossing his arms over his chest.

“I heard the way you talked to Niruin, V. Last night, I was just a bed over.” He revealed calmly, but the determination to find out what was wrong with me resounded. “I know that tone from years past. You’re in danger, and you’re not telling us.”

“There’s nothing wrong, Cynric.” I told him with a slight laugh; like it was comical he would ask such a thing. I wanted to tell him everything. I wanted to tell him there were people out, sent by Ulfric, and possibly even Elenwen, who wanted me dead. I wanted to tell him about how once I go back into the Embassy, saying just a short few words to my brother might be the last words ever to slip past my lips.

“Don’t you lie to me, Vitrin.” That stern tone he used to get in his voice when I’d lie about not being able to go on a job came back full-force.

“I have to go, I need to get to the Embassy in the next few days.” I walked over to the chain, but as I reached for it he grabbed my hand, and turned me towards him before taking hold of my shoulders.

“If you’re in danger, I’m not letting you go until you tell me.” I couldn’t. “You know you can tell me anything, you always have been able to.”

“I can’t.” I whispered finally, giving him the confirmation he needed.

“Do you remember the job you took in Whiterun? Getting back some jewels that had been returned via the guards?” He asked and the words brought too many memories back.

“Yes.”

“Do you remember how you got caught lifting a pendant from Kodlak?”

“Yes.” My voice was just barely above the whisper he needed to hear me. “You, Rune, and Niruin where the first on the scene in the sewers under my cell. Then when we got back, Kodlak had sent Companions after me.

“But we protected you. We fought them off until they retreated.” Cynric smiled in the darkness, though the expression on his face lit the stone walls up. “We always protect our own. Especially you.”

“But this,” I looked up at Cynric from the floor, my eyes pained as I shook my head. “I cannot allow this to be held on your shoulders.”

“Whoever they are, we can take them, V. We can fight them off.”

“Cynric, these aren’t a bunch of drunk fools, these people are much more dangerous.” I still withheld. I couldn’t let them come here.

“Then I’m not letting you leave.” He grabbed my arm again, pulling my towards the cistern opening.

“No.” I hissed, pulling my arm from his hold with force and he turned to me.

“I will not let you go out there and get killed knowing I could’ve done something to save you! I’ve already lost one person because of that!” He matched my tone and I took a deep breath, hating what he had brought up.

“Cynric…” I could see the hurt welling up in his eyes and I put my arms around him, knowing a job from his two and a half years in the Brotherhood had brought him too much pain.

“I won’t lose another friend because I couldn’t protect them. Just tell me, so we can-””

“I can’t.” I whispered, cutting him off. “But you can’t protect me, either way.” I told him, and he pulled away from me, taking my face in his hands.

“Yes I can.” A stern tone took over once more.

“It’s too dangerous.” I told him again, my hands going over his and removing them from my face. “They will kill each and every one of you and I cannot allow that.”

“You’ve seen us fight separately, and as one. We are not taken down easily, V.” Cynric seemed as if he wanted to smile and maybe let a laugh escape, but couldn’t bring himself to.

“Just…” I tried to think of a better way to part from him, but I couldn’t as he kept his hands wrapped around mine securely. “If you really want to help me, can you promise me one thing?” I asked and he nodded quickly.

“Anything.”

“You cannot say a word of this to anyone until the first of next week, okay?” That should give me enough time to get to the Embassy and get back unless I’m caught and killed. Cynric was quiet for a moment. “If you tell I can’t say anything.”

“I won’t tell a soul until the first of next week.” He nodded in agreement.

“If I’m not back by then, chances are I’m dead. Don’t go looking for me, because won’t be a body to find.” His eyes grew wide and he went to protest but I put two fingers over his lips. “Just tell Niruin he’s been a wonderful big brother, and that I’ll see him again one day. Tell them all I’ll see them again.” I smiled slightly, and removed my fingers, kissing Cynric on the cheek. “But I’ll make it back.” I whispered, and turned, leaving him in silence as I pulled the chain, and the coffin that concealed us moved back. I pulled on the iron links once more and darted out as the stone started moving back into place.

I made my trek across Skyrim, from Riften, through Solitude, and to the Thalmor Embassy. It took two and a half days of nonstop walking, only stopping to rest once and regain three hours of sleep. It was night when I arrived finally, and the building that stood before me made my stomach churn. My sword hung heavier than ever on my hip, and I felt as if my bow was dragging me backwards. But I pushed onward, through the gates. I knew the Thalmor soldier standing guard, and he tensed up when he saw me, worry in his eyes, but he looked straight ahead, like he didn’t see me, allowing me through without a word.

As I entered the stone walls, it took all the restraint I had to walk calmly over towards the bar, where Malborn was leaning on the wood, staring out among a crowd. After everything that had transpired, I just wanted to find Elenwen and kill her, but there were too many people. Elenwen was throwing a small party. It had been marked on a mental calendar in my head for weeks.

“Ah,, how lovely of you to make it.” Before I could make it to the bar, Ondolemar stepped up to me with a smile. The only smile I ever saw on him was when he was around Rulindil or me. The Altmer held himself too high for the liking of most people. Though I felt most that were from Markarth did. I didn’t see him that often at the Embassy, but when I did, he always wore a smile in my presence.

“I wouldn’t miss it.” I told him, returning the expression.

“Can I talk to you for a moment?” He asked, and I could feel urgency in his voice, so I nodded. He started walking off and I followed as he led me down a short hall and into a bedroom. He closed the door and turned to me, the smile gone as I brushed my hood back off my head. “You’re being hunted. You shouldn’t be here.”

“How did you-”

“Everyone entwined in the Embassy knows, Vitrin.” He had apprehension on his face, and him using my real name let me know he was worried. “Now I care for you, mostly because you don’t take unkind words from anyone and you hold yourself with a superiority that you don’t find very often. I’m telling you this out of that liking. Everyone in that room out there wants to kill you.”

“I know, I know, but-”

“Don’t you dare argue with me, I don’t want you to be dead in the barracks before this party is over.” He argued shortly with me and I took a deep breath.

“My brother is here. I will not leave without knowing him.”

“You don’t have a brother.” Ondolemar looked at me oddly.

“I just found out he’s alive. He wasn’t murdered by the Thalmor the night my family was. He’s the only living family I have, and he’s been right under my nose this whole time.” I whispered, not wanting my words to be heard through the wooden door. “I must tell him what I know.” Ondolemar’s face softened, his expression melting as he nodded.

“Understood. Get him out of here though. Once you tell him, you take him and run. Run as far away as you can.” Ondolemar smiled slightly. “You’re one of the few pleasures I have in life and I’d hate to hear you’d died.”

“I’ll take my brother and return to my home, and I’ll visit you in Markarth when I can. Deal?” I suggested and he nodded in agreement as he opened the door.

“Deal.” I walked past him fast, adjusting my hood back over my head, walking back down the hall and entering the medium sized room of people once more.

“Attention everyone! Could I have your attention, please!” A drunk had stood up and begun a speech. “I have an announcement to make! I propose a toast to Elenwen! Our Mistress! I speak figuratively, of course. Nothing could be more unlikely than that someone would actually want her in their bed. Although... most of you are already in bed with her! But again... I speak figuratively, of course!” I made my way towards the bar, glancing over to see a drunk Breton being pushed back down into a seat by some Thalmor guards. I continued the walk to the bar, fighting a smile at how true the Breton’s words were.

I leaned over the wooden counter, looking at Malborn, whose back was turned to me.

“Malborn.” I spoke quietly, but loud enough for him to hear and he turned towards me.

“Karina.” He walked over to the bar and leaned over. “You can’t be here.”

“I know, I know, but I have information on the whereabouts of your sister.” I told him and his eyes widened as he stared at me for a second.

“Follow me.” He turned, walking towards the door across form us, and I made my way around the bar, and followed him through the doorway. He led me down the hall and opened up a door in the floor to a staircase leading down into the barracks. He closed the door behind us and locked it. As soon as he got to the floor he grabbed me, pushing me back against the wall. “My sister is dead. I don’t know what kind of joke you’re attempting to pull here, but it’s not funny.”

“No she’s not dead.” I whispered quietly, my hands coming up to his wrists. “A family friend named Niruin found her in her family’s home the night of a Thalmor purge, and brought her to Skyrim with him. She lived in the Thieves Guild, in the Ragged Flagon, being cared for by Niruin and Vekel until she was sixteen, then she joined the Guild as a member.” Malborn’s hands loosened on the Thieves Guild armor that Brynjolf had given to me days ago. Malborn knew this story. Because I’d told him. Now for everything he knew nothing of. “Two years later she learnt of what happened to her parents from Niruin and ran off and joined the Stormcloaks. She became a sleeper agent in the Thalmor Embassy, gathering information and sending it back to Ulfric. Not three days ago she learnt of some information from Niruin. While on her job, she met a Bosmer, like herself.” Malborn’s eyes were getting teary, his lips curving up. “His name was Malborn.” My voice cracked. “He’s her brother.”

“You…you’re…” He could get the words out, his hands now flat on my shoulders.

“I’m Vitrin.”

“My god…” He couldn’t say anything more as he hugged me tightly, his breathing choppy. “I assumed you were kidnapped or killed by the Thalmor, I looked for you forever…I never would’ve thought…”

“All this time we were so close.” I whispered into his neck, my arms tight around him. “I never thought I’d meet you. I never thought I’d find you.”

“We have to get you out of here.” He pulled away from me quickly, panic now on his face. “Elenwen’s already gave orders to all of us. You’re to be killed on sight.”

“Frangenal let me through at the gate; he looked as if he couldn’t bring himself to.” I said, but Malborn shook his head.

“No, we have to go.” He grabbed my hand, pulling me towards the door that led outside, but just as he did, the door was kicked open.

“There she is!” A Thalmor solider announced, and I drew my sword, turned swiftly just as the door down to the barracks was kicked open,

“Get ready to fight.” Malborn whispered, but I was way ahead of him as I charged at the guards coming down the stairs. There were four. I avoided swords and slashed ones throat, turning and slamming my blade into another’s stomach. I stole a glance at Malborn, slashing a throat and ducking under a sword.

“You won’t get out of here alive, Karina!” One soldier yelled at me, and I cut the backs of his knees in one swiftly blow before taking his head off with another. The last guard tried to swing, but I grabbed the base of the sword he held, and threw my elbow into his face, knocking him back before slamming my own elven sword into his chest. I quickly turned to Malborn, but he had already taken out the three guards he’d been left with by himself.

“Karina, look out!” I turned at his words, my sword out straight as I caught a guards side, but I didn’t have time to pull my sword out as I heard a cry from Malborn, and I turned sharply, drawing my dagger from its holster, seeing Malborn being held by another soldier, a dagger in his side, but as I turned I was grabbed from behind, a hand taking my wrist and making me drop the elven dagger I held.

“Well look who we’ve got. Malborn and Karina.” Rulindil’s sly voice made me want to chop his head clean off.

“You let go of him.” I growled, tears threatening me as Rulindil stepped into view, and I could see Malborn was in too much pain as the soldier behind him twisted the blade stuck deep in his side. “Rulindil I swear you’ll never make it out of this room if you don’t let him go.”

“Yes I will.” Rulindil smiled at me as he stepped in front of me, blocking my vision. “And on top of that, I’ll get a nice reward from Elenwen for killing Vitrin and her brother.”

“How did you-”

“I eavesdrop.” Rulindil answered quickly. “Nasty habit. Should probably drop it, but it’s too fun.”

“I will drop you off a cliff.” I threatened with a hiss, anger rising.

“D-don’t hurt-”

“Shut up!” Rulindil screamed quickly at Malborn.

“Let him go.” I bargained quickly. “You can take me in alive to Ulfric and Elenwen, just let him go. Please. Let him go get patched up, and I’ll go with you willingly. If they’ll give you a reward for me dead, imagine what they’d give you if you brought me in alive.” I tried, hoping, praying to Talos they’d just let him go.

“Tell you what, I’m going to leave you both down here, and I’ll be back in fifteen minutes with Elenwen. I’ll let her decide.” The guard that had me walked me over and shoved me into a cell, Malborn into the one next to me, the guard drawing the dagger from his side and blood drained out. I panicked, but stood up at the bars, staring Rulindil in the eyes.

“I will kill you.” I whispered, meaning the words. “I will kill each, and every one of you. I will slaughter you.” I growled and he gave me a disgusted look as he turned, walking up the stairs, one guard staying, but the other following him.

“I’m sorry.” Frangenal’s expression was filled with sorrow, but ignored it, going over to the corner of my cell, where Malborn lay, dying.

“I finally find you…and now…”

“Don’t,” I felt like crying, but the anger that surged through me canceled it out rather quickly. “Just stay with me. Please, I just found you, don’t leave so soon.”

“It’s been lovely to find out…that my sister’s been doing so well.” He whispered, his words barely making it out, his breathing labored as blood seemed through the fingers of his right hand that tried to keep the blood in. He reached through the bars with the other hand, taking mine and holding it tightly.

“But why? Why do this to me? You can hold on, I know you can. You’re strong.” I tried, hoping he’d hold on until I could get us out.

“Once the soul gets what it came to get…it goes. You’re…all I needed…to complete my life.” He mustered a dying smile that didn’t waste it’s time snapping my heart in two. “I have nothing left to do.”

“Yes you do. You have ventures to go on and-”

“No, you…you have ventures. You’re life…is just starting.” He squeezed my hand, his breathing slowing down more and more. “My story…is…finished.”

“Don’t.” I repeated. “Don’t you dare, Malborn.”

“I’ll…see you again…one day.”

“Malborn?” His hand wasn’t holding mine. It was limp in my own. I gritted my teeth, fighting feeling as I let his hand go, and stood up, turning towards Frangenal. “Let me out.” I told him. “Let me out, now. Please, Frangenal.”

“I-I’m sorry, Karina, I can’t.”

“You can’t let Karina out, but you can let V out. So let me out.” I ordered, raising my voice. “I won’t hurt you, I swear, I just want to leave. I’ll never come back.”

“I’m sorry, I-”

“Let me out.” I said again, staring into his eyes. “I’ll knock you out, you won’t be held responsible. I picked my way out and left, and that will be all.” I could see him breaking finally.

He walked out and opened the door, letting me out.

I walked over and grabbed my sword from the guard’s side.

“That’s the last mistake you’ll ever make.” I told him, and swung around, taking his head off before he could ask a question. I retrieved my dagger and looked at my brother. “This won’t go unpunished, I promise.”

I lost count after I hit twenty. Everything was a blur as I scoured halls, looking for my next victim. I couldn’t find a few, but I did soon enough. Every single person in that building I killed. I killed them all. They tried to run for the door but they were Thalmor, and they wouldn’t live another day. I looked everywhere for Rulindil, and Elenwen, but they must’ve scattered after they heard the chef scream.

“Anger is a beast.” I heard Ondolemar speak from behind me. “I’ll go get you something to drink.” I sat on my knees in the middle of the foyer, looking around at eyes wide open, never to shut again, and bodies lying bloody from a night I’d never forget. I tried to wipe sweat off my forehead, but it just smeared the blood around more. I only spared Ondolemar because he was a true friend. And I’d know he’d best me in a fight.

“By the nine…” I heard a voice, one too familiar at the door, and I looked up, sitting in a pool of blood, in a room full of bodies, and found my other brother and best friend at the door. Cynric and Niruin. “What have you done?” Niruin asked, coming over to me, and kneeling in front of me, taking my face in his hands.

“They…they killed him. They killed him and so I killed them.” I stared laughing slightly as Niruin looked at me in horror, Cynric still in the doorway. “All this time I thought I’d finally be with my family. My true family, and they killed the last I had left.” The tears started falling then, faster and faster as sobs broke through my lips.

“I’m so sorry.” Niruin whispered as he held me close, keeping me from falling apart altogether. A sword was drawn and footsteps stopped.

“It’s okay; she let me live because she likes me.” Ondolemar’s sarcasm filled voice hit me, and I knew Cynric had drawn his sword, but then sheathed it. “So,” Ondolemar began once more. “Who wants a drink?”
♠ ♠ ♠
And now for my chapter. Double update with the two of ours today because I've been playing Persona 4 all week and did not notice that Shannon disappeared.

M.R.