Status: Completed. Thank you for reading.

Dark Waters

Your Soul on My Tongue

Sigrid

..::~^~::..

I stopped in Whiterun for the night after I left the Sanctuary. After being granted access into the city, I went to the Bannered Mare, in order to look over the scrolls and information Ondolemar had given me back in Markarth. Once I was in my room, I had everything scattered out across the floor, my boots and mask on the bed. My bow, dagger, and arrow lean against the dresser. There wasn’t much I could go off, except for the Legend of Alduin, which talked about the civil unrest in Tamriel after the High King or Queen is murdered. That the dragons would come back, and create chaos until Tamriel was no more. There is supposedly only one that can defeat Alduin, which is the Dovahkiin – or the Dragonborn – which can turn into the form of a dragon, by learning Dragon Shouts.

“Alright, so, step one, find the Dragonborn,” I sighed. I looked further, reading that there was a specific shout which could defeat – and kill – Alduin. It did not say what the shout was, or where to find it. I curled up all of the scrolls, and placed them in my satchel. I wasn’t sure how I was going to find the ‘Dragonborn’, or if there was even one, or how I was going to find this shout, but I was going to do it. I was going to stop the dragons, and avenge Nev’s death. Even if I died trying.

..::~^~::..

I left Whiterun early in the morning, bound for Riften. I was determined to end up there as soon as I could, and maybe trade in my Brotherhood armor. I wouldn’t need it any longer. I didn’t want it. A day, and 27 dead bandits later, I was riding through the gates of Riften. I picked my way through a gate after dismounting Shadowsmere, who found his way into the shadows, and walked to the small cemetery behind Mara’s Temple. I pressed the button on the stone coffin, which retracted to the back of the wall. I descended the now visible stairs, and pulled the black chain on my left, so the coffin slid back over me, leaving me only to climb down into the Ragged Flagon Cistern.

As I left the small entry way, heading to the Ragged Flagon to speak to Melvin, arms grabbed at me, placing me in a chokehold. The tip of a dagger poked into my temple, but I remained calm.

“Who are you,” a rough voice asked.

“If you’re lookin’ to kill someone, I suggest using a real sword,” I said, and remembered that I was in the Guild’s territory. I took a deep breath, and let it out, “Sigrid, from the Brotherhood.”

“What’s your business?” the voice asked.

“I must speak with Melvin,” I said, the dagger on my temple now becoming uncomfortable. After a long moment, it was finally taken away, and I was turned around to face a tall Nord, with dark red hair, flowing down a little past his shoulders.

“The Brotherhood, huh?” he asked, looking me up and down. I was happy I decided not to trade in my armor, because it would make it a little bit more difficult for this man to believe that I was who I said I was.

“Yes,” I said once again, “And I must speak with Melvin.”

“He’s right through that door,” he pointed, and I nodded, and without looking back, I headed towards the Ragged Flagon, where Melvin was usually found. After emerging from the faux cabinet doors, I could see Melvin sitting down with a bottle of Nord Mead. I walked over, and sat down in front of him.

“Well if it ain’t lit-tul Siggy from te’ Brotherhood,” he said, a grin present on his lips, “Wha’ has ol’ Astrid been up ta’, these days. Ha’ent heard much from yous.”

“Astrid is well, the Brotherhood alike,” I assured him, and he showed a few teeth in the smile.

“Well, wha’ does te’ Brotherhood need?” He asked, taking a swig from his mead bottle.

“Two new assassins,” I muttered, but not low enough. Melvin had obviously heard me.

“Wha’dya mean? Wha happened?” he leaned in, suddenly more curious than he was before.

“Nev was killed by…a contract gone wrong. I left,” I said, and he raised an eyebrow.

“A contract gone wrong, ay’? You sure it ain’t gots nothing to do with that Dragon down in Helgen?” he asked suspiciously, causing me to shrug. That was answer enough for him. Melvin wasn’t stupid; meaning he also understood I didn’t want to talk about it, “So I ‘spose yous be needin’ a place to stay, an’ some new clothes,” he offered, and I nodded my head.

“Yeah, kind of,” I said, and he winked before he stood up.

“Let me just speak to Brynjolf first, and we’ll get it all sorted out. You stay here,” he instructed before he walked back to the Cistern. I wasn’t aware of who Brynjolf was, but was sure I’d meet him soon. I stayed seated until Melvin came back with clothes that looked a lot like Guild armor, “Here you are,” he said, handing them to me, “And jus’ pick any bed when you get tired. Nobody here will bite,” he smiled. I thanked him before I went to the washroom. I needed to clean myself desperately, and changed before tossing my Brotherhood armor. I braided my long brown hair back before going to the Cistern to finally rest. Upon entering a room, I’d found Vi – Vitrin – laying down, with Niruin sitting next to her. He looked up at me, but Vitrin, although she was awake, didn’t acknowledge my presence.

“Well this is a little unexpected,” he said, cocking his head to the side.

“I, um, yeah,” I said, “I didn’t mean to – I left the Brotherhood,” I said, feeling awkward.

“Vitrin, look, Sigrid’s here,” Niruin directed, and she looked at him briefly before staring back up at the ceiling. She looked completely distant, and I felt completely out of place.

“I’ll go…I’m going to go sleep somewhere else,” I said, backing out of the room. Niruin shot me an apologetic look, but I quickly turned, and found an open bed near the ladder leading up from the Cistern. I sat down on the bed, and slipped off the boots, and various parts of the Guild armor I had been given. I placed them in the chest at the end of the bed I was inhabiting, when the guy who’d given me a pleasant greeting earlier came over to the bed, and sat on the chest.

“I don’t think I formally introduced myself,” he said, not looking at me, “I’m Brynjolf.”

“Well, thank you, Brynjolf, for trying to maim me,” I said, heavy hearted, and smiling slightly, even though he wasn’t looking at me.

“I’m sorry, but you got to watch your back in the Guild, or, really bad stuff happens. Like a few days ago,” he informed me, leaving me clueless.

“What happened a few days ago?” I asked, and he looked at me, tilting his head.

“Melvin didn’t tell you?” He asked, and I shook my head, “A bunch of Stormcloaks found their way in through the Ratway, and killed a few of our members, leaving us short. A number of our good friends suffered the ultimate price. A few of us are still in a state of shock.”

“Vitrin,” I said, now understand, and he nodded once.

“The Guild also has been on our toes due to our former leadership standing,” he added, and I nodded, knowing I shouldn’t try to delve deeper. I was lucky enough that I was able to have a place to stay, “But you’re welcome to stay as long as you need. This was Vekel’s bed, and seeing as he’s not really with us any longer, you can call it your own. Just try not to bring a horde of Stormcloaks with you,” he said, standing up.

“Thank you,” I said, and he tilted his head towards me before he left me to myself. I crawled into bed, and called it a night. Once my head hit the pillow, I was out.

..::~^~::..

Grabbing a few of my scrolls, I headed back to Riverwood, in order to speak to Delphine. I quickly found Brynjolf, and told him I’d be back in a few days time, and after he wished me a safe travel, I rode to The Sleeping Giant Inn within a day, and Delphine was at the bar. She didn’t seem surprised to see me. I instead led her into the hidden room underneath the Sleeping Giant.

“What did you find?” She asked, and I rolled out the scrolls.

“I found what we need to find,” I said, “We must find the Dragonborn, and the shout.”

“I know what the Dragonborn is,” she nodded, “but, what shout?”

“I don’t know, it doesn’t say what the shout is, or where you find it,” I answered, “But first thing’s first, we must find the Dragonborn. Then we find the shout. Then we get rid of the Dragons.

“That sounds like a good plan,” she said, “We must travel to the College of Winterhold,” she said as she examined through the scrolls, “I have colleagues there that could help,” she said, and I looked where she was on the scroll, about the Legend of Alduin.

“It’s our only plan,” I said shortly, “When do we leave?” I asked.

“Immediately.”

..::~^~::..

I followed closely to Delphine as we traveled into the College of Winterhold. As we traveled north, it got colder, and the wind blew harder. We were both bundled up as we rode on our horses. I could feel my hair freezing to my forehead. An all too familiar roar sounded as the ground shook, Shadowsmere nearly tripping. Delphine and I immediately looked up, and a gray dragon flew around. I quickly dismounted my horse, and drew my bow, along with arrows. One after another, Delphine shot at the Dragon; which proved difficult.

It landed on the ground, and pounding towards us, fire shot from its mouth. I quickly ran around it, shooting more arrows at its head. Delphine and I took turns taking shots at it. Guards from the nearest city ran towards the battle, swinging their swords towards the dragon. It felt like forever, but the Dragon finally dropped, and I felt relieved.

“Well I hadn’t done that in a long time,” Delphine said as we walked back towards our horses. Another noise stopped me in my tracks, except this time – it wasn’t a dragon. It was louder, and sounded like I was in the middle of a tornado. It came from behind me, and from the dragon, strong orange winds rushed towards me, blowing back my hair. I was confused, and trembled with horror. What was happening? Finally, the winds died down, and the flesh of the dragon burned away, leaving only bones. I looked at Delphine, hoping she’d have an answer for me, because I was scared out of my mind. She just stared at me with wide eyes, but she didn’t look scared. She looked amazed, “It looks like our plan is coming along rather smoothly,” she said finally, and I was confused.

“What do you mean, the plan-“

“Dovahkiin,” the word rumbled through the earth, like a quake, causing the ground to shake, and the trees to move. I knew the word well from my short studies, and felt I knew what Delphine was saying, but it couldn’t be true. Not until she said the words.

“You’re the Dragonborn, Sigrid.”

©Shannon.
♠ ♠ ♠
Shannon's Chapter.

M.R.